SC Bird Down

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Got invited to go hunt a friends lease a couple days ago. Had birds gobbling all morning from the time we got out of the truck. My buddy does not know how to call at all so I was really more along just to call on this hunt. We had a bird work us early and would never commit. Then we had 3 jakes come in to 10 yards and my buddy could not get turned on them. We moved spots and while we were walking he told me if anything else came in and he could not get on it to shoot if I wanted to.

We get to a small opening with big pines behind us and a 3-4 year cut down out front. Get set up, sit down, hit the call once to see if I can get an answer, nothing. Look over at my buddy and his eyes are glued to the hen decoy 15 yards away. 2 jakes half strutting not 5 min after we sat down. His gun is still on the ground and I see him look over at me and give the thumbs up. I had my gun half way up and a small tree covering me that allowed me to get it up. as soon as his head cleared a bush I let one fly. Bird dropped stone dead and never moved.

Had some great turkey cutlets the past couple of nights!!

10 Yard Shot
Jake 5" beard
12ga Heavy Shot Magnum Blend 3.5

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With a 3.5" load of mag blend at 10 yards, I bet he didn't move an inch.

Congrats. You're buddy will learn not to leave his gun on the ground.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Yea those Mag Blends are a pretty lethal load. I ran out of the kents I have been shooting for 5 years and they dont make them any more. Grabbed a few boxes of random "test" loads a few weeks ago and went to pattern them. Shot the Mag Blends last hoping one of the other brands thats half the cost would pattern well. None of them pleased me but one shot at 40 yards with Mag Blend made my mind up. Crazy how tight and consistent those things are out of my gun.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, you don't want to shoot more than once for a couple of reasons...

For a factory load, those or the Fed. Heavyweights are the best I have found.