Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: SSS (Stop Shooting Scrubs)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SchaferShooter View Post
    So you speak for all hunters, now?

You ready for MY challenge, above?

You think I'm not proud of EVERY deer I kill?

You know my "experience level"?

I've caught fish that weighed in excess of 100#'s. BUT....some of my fondest memories are fishing with a can pole and a bobber. If I go to the pond across the street with the cane pole, do you have an issue with that.

Extrapolate.
    Speak for all hunters.....obviously not.

Ready for your challenge....I admit I am not quite ready Schafer, I am still addicted to the compound but did just get a couple of recurves and can't wait to give them a whirl next season. But I will say, even with a recurve I can tell you now I wouldn't shoot a scrub.

I am sure you are proud of every deer you kill....at least I hope you are. That's the point of it all right? How proud can an experienced individual be of shooting a ding dong spike yearling?

do i know your experience level? Uh, no I do not. However, I believe each hunter should strive to come to a point in their experience level where it's not a big deal to let a young buck go. need/want meat....SHOOT A DOE!

fishing is totally different game that hunting for mature white tail bucks....you know that.

"Exactly. you cant kill four bucks a year and expect to have plenty of big bucks. If they change the regs then maybe we could be a trophy state."

There you go. It will never happen in NC. So our only choice is to lease or buy enough land to manage for larger bucks on the land you lease or own. Then there's the dog issue and deer crossing club borders!

There's a better chance in the 2 buck/season areas than in the esatern season area with a 4 buck limit. Some folks just have to kill their buck limit every year and that's legal...so we've got what we've got. That's why hunters come down from NJ to hunt our state and some NC hunters that want larger bucks go to the midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet Tech View Post
    Not going to happen here in N.C. as long as you have current regs and seasons. Only way to do it is like the trophy states, 1 buck and 1week gun huntihg.
    you are right about that....but, the more folks letting 'em go the better. no 2 ways around that.

Sportsman what you don't understand to many of us deer are simply 4 legged food like rabbits. We are not impressed by headcare. I start trophy hunting after my family has 6 deer in the freezer until then brown is down. I am a meat hunter.

If you want to pass up a small buck that is your choice but don't try to inflict that policy on the rest of the us. Every deer is a trophy to me and I try to honor its memory with pictures and using as much of the deer as possible including hide, antlers, hooves, heart, liver, kidneys. I give the brains, sinews, and tongues away.

I feel no guilt shooting little ones, and will take everyone that comes my way.

Big buck syndrome to me is like little red sports car syndrome.
    Support Sunday Hunting, NC's newest tradition

Southern Yankee

Although 65% of those surveyed in NC don't hunt, they have seen Bambi in its entirety thereby making them wildlife experts and worthy of being surveyed.

I know where the poster was trying to go on this, and to a point I can see his point...but he in no way has a right to down someone for what they decide to shoot. If you feel as strongly as you do, then do something about it and start rubbing elbows with some big wigs and get some regulations changed and not putting people down on here for the choices that they make.

As far as the one buck rule...not ever gonna happen here in N.C. Our deer population is just too high to allow this. Our deer numbers dwarf a lot of the "Mid-West" numbers and our farmers can't take the impact of letting that many deer be allowed to eat their crop so that we can say we shot a monster. We need to shoot more does....period. A lot more does. I think if everyone used their heads and did thier own part on killing the nannies that we could still have the high number of deer tags to fill and get our herd closer to the 1/1 ratio that we need.....but with that said, that is a choice for EACH hunter to make and not one person that wants to criticize others for shooting something that he wouldn't....

SchaferShooter

I hope you'll realize how "elitist" this sounds..............

If you're still shooting deer with a gun or a compound bow.....where's the sport? I mean....at some point (and after you've gained a certain level of experience), don't you wanna step up the challenge?

Anybody can kill deer with a gun or compound.

Now...that in NO WAY describes how I feel. I understand that people enjoy hunting with the weapon of their choice (that's the point of it,....right). Why can't you understand that some people enjoy just hunting DEER?

And....you're welcome to come turkey hunting with me next year, also. But don't be upset if I attempt to take a jake. And oh...BTW....leave the gun at home. It's only sporting - bow only. (joking on the "sporting"....NOT joking on leaving your gun at home).
    Last edited by SchaferShooter; 12-23-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Twelve Pointer

Cool

Boy is this subject RUN in the ground! In my opinion there's nothing wrong with the quality of bucks coming from NC . One thing I think needs better management is our doe harvest in this state! Take out MORE does and the supposed scrubs have more to eat, therefore giving them more food to go to that heaDgear! Now I do have a question to the members on this post... Why are buttonheads considered anTlerless deer? Or did I miss understand what qualifies as antlerless? Help me with this.

Thx for the link Sportsman.......I don't think some people realize that you didn't write that post just posted what someone said.

I agree were not in TX but NC could be ALOT better than it is as far as antlered deer go. We will never produce a ton of huge bucks like the Widwest but we could far better off than we are. With that said location pays a large role in it too. Some places in NC don't have alot of deer and other places are wrapped up with em.
    Last edited by MJ74; 12-23-2009 at 11:23 AM.

TheTruth156

HuntinCop, I would like to know the populatio of deer here in NC. I can't find it online.

As for the "meat" hunters, why not shoot a doe. I knoow I'm not there with you, but seems to me that if you have the oppurtunity to shoot a spike, chances are there are does around also.

SchaferShooter

1.3M deer in NC (+/-)