Thread: 12V power supply for Moultrie D40 ?

Default 12V power supply for Moultrie D40 ?

I am going to wire up an external power source for my D40's and need some barrel connectors to fit the external port. I believe these ar 6.3mm X 3mm. Does anyone one know if this is correct and if so where I can get some? Thanks in advance,
    THHEAT
    Sometimes its time to shut up. Sometimes its time to nut up.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience
    When push comes to shove you find out what you are made of.

NRA Member (from way back)

Newer ones(2007 and up) are reported to fry when wired to a 12v battery. If you can figure a way to regulate the voltage it could work, but it would void your warranty. Moultrie sells a 12v solar kit for an extra $90 that works fine.
    Found the same one at Walmart for $55.

If you find a way to cheaper way to make it work, I'm listening...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - Bioplots: Food Plot Services, Pennington Seed, Covert Scouting Cameras, and Mineral Supplements.

last year used some rechargeable 12 v emergency light batteries but cannot find my power cords and need some new dc power plugs (barrel connectors). My source for last years cords is unable to help. Hate to put the money in for the solar panels when all I need are the plugs. Did not have a problem messing up cameras (4 were bought after 07 but not sure on manufactured date though) Me and a buddy got 3 new d40's and d50 & d55 to try out for this year. Had some older wildview's which we hard wired straight to a quick disconnect on the batteries. worked great but cameras crashed.
    Sometimes its time to shut up. Sometimes its time to nut up.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience
    When push comes to shove you find out what you are made of.

NRA Member (from way back)

Hey THHEAT, I have wired up a bunch of them. I use the cord from a wall wart, (ac adapter) that fits the camera socket. If you don't have one you can go to any electronic supply house or Radio Shack (don't forget to take the camera with you to check the fit) and pick one up.

A couple of tips:

1. use an Ohm meter and make sure that you get the positive lead from the battery going to the center conductor of the plug going to the camera, and the negative (ground) lead going to the outside metal surface of the plug.

2. Then just get you some spade connectors and put a red one on the positive wire and a black (or one with no plastic sleeve) for the negative wire. You can crimp these and do just fine but I have started soldering all of mine.

3. I usually get my batteries at Batteries Plus. I use the 12volt 7ah batteries for my 12 volt camera's and the 6 volt 10ah batteries for the 6 volt camera's.
    Some camera's use 6 volt external batteries and some use 12 volt. Make sure you use the right voltage battery.
    dj

I wired up a couple of the because you can not afford to feed the D-40 with 6 D cell batteries every couple of weeks.

I bought a couple of the Stealth camera rechargeable 12V systems and replaced the camera ends with parts from Radio Shack.....there part numbers 2731720 and 2731743.

The Steath kits came with 12V 7ah batteries with the spade connectors so that end was already done. I cut off the connector on the camera end and replaced them with the Radio Shack parts, making sure I maintained the correct pos/neg as described by DeerJerky. They have worked pretty well for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Every day on the right side of the grass is a great day.

Twelve Pointer

I've done the same with the 12v rechargeable batteries. They're about $22 at Batteries Plus. Put the battery in a ammo can. Drill a small hole through the side of the ammo can and put a grommet in the hole. Found some old AC adapters that weren't being used that fit the plug and cut off AC transformer. Run wires through and put clips on the end and add a dab of silicone to grommet hole. Plug into camera and it'll take thousands of picks.

Somebody needs to put up some pics.....lol

Does anyone know if you can hook up a 12v battery pack to the Moultrie D55 camera? It say only use the Moultrie power panel but I don't know if I believe that.