Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plott hounds

lil'buck

Default plott hounds

i was wondering if any of you use plott hounds to deer hunt. i never had any plotts before just walkers and my im going to get a few new puppies to start iv got free walkers and free plotts that i can get

Twelve Pointer

I would think they are going to be slower, and have a colder nose. They should bay and be gritty. Me personally I would not run plotts for deer, but that is just me. Some of those rascals are so gritty that you have to chain them back in the box. That just is not needed for deer hunting. I have a puppy with all the grit I think a deer hunter needs. She will bay, blood trail, and cold nose one til they get up. She is a walker.... The only fighting is over food, or deer legs if in the box.
    R&R Kennels

Default I run Plotts...

on Bear. It is a total myth about the fighting that just keeps being perpetuated. I don't tolerate any ill dogs at my place! And the guys I hunt with don't either. There are ill dogs in every breed...I don't have fighting in the box, in the yard, or at the bay/tree. The last time I hunted with a fella that had a truck load of walkers...and there was plenty of aggression in the box...just sayin. I think Plotts will run a deer just fine. I have a female who loves to run a deer. I don't use her for anything other than a farm dog...and she will run a deer all day. I'd say give em a shot...

Twelve Pointer

You must have a different breed, ever pull up to a dog box with small chains around the edges? These guys I know hunt a gritty breed. They separate each dog to its own pen, and keep them chained up in the box. Simply to much grit for my wants.
    R&R Kennels

I hunted with a guy who ran plotts on deer. They did a good job on running but I didn't want to put them in the box w/my hounds b/c they would fight like hell. I know walkers that will fight too and I have seen other guys who run plotts and never make a noise. A lot of it depends on how you raise the dog. If you don't allow it, it wont happen.
    Last edited by buckshot32182; 01-04-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhromm View Post
    You must have a different breed, ever pull up to a dog box with small chains around the edges? These guys I know hunt a gritty breed. They separate each dog to its own pen, and keep them chained up in the box. Simply to much grit for my wants.
    This makes me laugh. Dog attitudes more often than not reflect the raising and training. A plott is no different than any other dog. Good attitudes, and bad, cold noses and hot. I've coonhunted with a lot of different dogs, and the only ones Ive ever had so much as face bark at mine were walkers. This includes plotts, red bones, black and tans, blue ticks, and english.

And what exactly does gritty mean? It's too often used as a blanket term in hunting dogs. Nipping fur on a bayed bear? Tasting ham on a bayed hog? Face barking? Fighting other dogs? Snapping a coons neck for a quick kill on a coon shot out alive? I've heard it used in all those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by rhromm View Post
    This makes me laugh too...my farm dog is a Crockett Plott...some of the "grittiest" Plotts going. She is not ill in any way with any other dogs! I have the breed alright...so don't go insinuating...its how the dogs are raised. If you allow fighting you will have it! This just perpetuates the myth that Plotts are too aggressive. By the way...the walkers I mentioned earlier...they came out of a dog box with the chains all around..we had to use them. Dang walkers too gritty for me LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot32182 View Post
    I hunted with a guy who ran plotts on deer. They did a good job on running but I didn't want to put them in the box w/my hounds b/c they would fight like hell. I know walkers that will fight too and I have seen other guys who run plotts and never make a noise. A lot of it depends on how you raise the dog. If you don't allow it, it wont happen.
    Truer words have never been spoken!

Twelve Pointer

Treeing walkers, or fox walkers?
    R&R Kennels

I don't own plotts so Im not really biased one way or another, but you can have ill dogs of any breed. I have had a plott try to bite me once, but a black and tan did the same thing, as well as a blue heeler, beagle mix, a mutt, a lab. It has to do with how they were raised and if you are going to put up with it or not. I think is safe to say pit bulls can be aggressive dangerous dogs, but they could be great pets if handled right. I just think sayin all of one breed is one way or another isn't exactly true.Grittiness should be used describing engaging game and not backing down( but not being suicidal), growling and fighting is from bad breeding or you put up with it. I have seen dogs that are extremely gritty of many different breeds but don't fight other dogs. But back to the original thread about running deer I don't know I use tri tronics to keep that from happening
    Some people are like slinkys..... not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face to push them down the stairs.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.