** And So It Begins.....Montana 2013 blog thread**

hrdcor32

Four Pointer
Thanks for sharing, this is an awesome thread, I hope I can put something like this together sometime in the next few years

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Don't know how I missed this thread all year..... but it's great. I did get to read the whole thing start to current at once, so I'm kinda glad I just found it.... almost feel like I need to go pack now....:)

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
What are you using for game bags? I got a great hint from my buddy who also hunts elk, and we now have started to do it for our moose hunts, we use white or light coloured pillow cases, can tie up, hang in tree's and are fairly strong. Not sure about the weights though

25contender

Twelve Pointer
What are you using for game bags? I got a great hint from my buddy who also hunts elk, and we now have started to do it for our moose hunts, we use white or light coloured pillow cases, can tie up, hang in tree's and are fairly strong. Not sure about the weights though
I use Alaska Gamebags. They are great bags and pack nicely in your pack. Most everyone I know uses them.Four bags are all you need for one elk. http://www.alaskagamebags.com/

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Don't know how I missed this thread all year..... but it's great. I did get to read the whole thing start to current at once, so I'm kinda glad I just found it.... almost feel like I need to go pack now....:)

Come on and go!! There are still Elk tags left for Montana. Leaving Sept 13 back Sept 29th.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Winding down the prep for this trip. By cutting some weight and volume from my pack I was able to switch to one of my smaller packs. It will be nice and easier to compress for a day pack once camp is set up. Next week I am shipping a few things to a good friend in Montana to make sure things get there. I don't really trust the airlines to get things there on time. Too much time can be lost on Late baggage.I am still working out three days a week for 1 1/2 - 2 hours per trip. Time now to break out the backup bow and do a few local Whitetail hunts.

I will post a link to my Spot locator beacon page and password so anyone that wants to follow can. It wont be on 24/7 but once I get to the trail head I will activate the tracking mode for a few hours a day to plot a few points for you.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask..................Happy Hunting Mark

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I am flying out Friday will be glassing by sunset!! All my gear was packed and shipped in three boxes less than 45 lbs each. Everythingis already in Montana. I will be bringing one carry on with me.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well I hadn't read this for a while but I think I just caught up..... Has the fires out there impacted any of your hunting plans? I know to the north of where you are planning to go highway 12 was closed because of fire when I was out there. I'd hate to get to a spot and see it was all burned up. Good luck on your hunt and I look forward to the future posts in this thread

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Well I hadn't read this for a while but I think I just caught up..... Has the fires out there impacted any of your hunting plans? I know to the north of where you are planning to go highway 12 was closed because of fire when I was out there. I'd hate to get to a spot and see it was all burned up. Good luck on your hunt and I look forward to the future posts in this thread

No the fires are well north of where I hunt so they wont be a problem.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No the fires are well north of where I hunt so they wont be a problem.
Glad to hear that although depending on wind visibility could be a factor. We found that mornings were pretty good but afternoons the smoke filled in making it a bit more difficult. Hopefully they are not a factor at all. Good luck

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Glad to hear that although depending on wind visibility could be a factor. We found that mornings were pretty good but afternoons the smoke filled in making it a bit more difficult. Hopefully they are not a factor at all. Good luck
Thanks a little good luck always helps. Mark

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I have no idea how I missed this thread? Lots of great info here. Lots of hard work to post it as well. I enjoyed it. Montana Elk is on my list for 2018 or 2019.

Last edited:

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
I'm headed to SW Montana in September. Reading through Mark's multiple threads has really helped in my planning and so forth. I fully intend to contact him with some questions. The man obviously knows what he is doing.