** And So It Begins.....Montana 2013 blog thread**

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Actually it began in 2012 trying to decide whether or not to put in for the "Montana Elk Deer Combo License" for the 15th time. It has been four years since my last Archery trip to Elk hunt in Montana . The year after that hunt my good friend and Elk hunting partner for nine trips and 18 years who lived in Big Fork Montana died of a massive heart attack at the age of 39. Since then I have not really had the urge to go until last year. I am not getting any younger and if there is one thing I have learned over the years is not to put off what you are able to do today. The results of the drawings for Montana were posted on line today and I was successful at drawing my "Montana Elk Deer Combo License". It was really no surprise since the past two years they have had leftover license due to their aggravating process, prices, and the economy in general.
Anyway I thought I would sort of start a blog type thread for those that might be interested in doing a Archery trip like this to give you some insight to the process, timing, gear, prices,and logistics.. This as with all the trips I have done out west is a DIY hunt on public land. I have never seen the need for a guide as there is so much public land to hunt and so much information online about our western states. The first question everyone asks what is the real chance that I will get a shot at a Elk while I am out west. I will be honest with you. I have been Elk hunting 9 times 9 different years on DIY hunts I have taken 4 elk one of those a P&Y and every trip I have had at the minimum 2 opportunities to take a elk on public land. So this post will be the first entry of the Montana 2013 trip thread and any comments or questions are welcome. In the upcoming weeks I will be posting all the information I can from the start to the end to help anyone that might be interested in doing a trip like this. I will also post some photos of past trips. Remember this like the others will be a DIY hunt. Enjoy the thread.........Mark :cool:

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Here are the top ten questions everyone asks me about these trips. I will answer all of these in the weeks to come as it takes about six months or longer to prepare for a trip like this.
1. What is the cost of a trip like this?
2. When should I go and how long should I go for and what are my chances of filling my Elk tag?
3. How do I get there and how do I get around when I get there?
4. Where do I find out information about Public land to hunt?
5. What is the weather like and what type of cloths do I bring?
6. What do I need to bring and what should I get when I am there?
7. Do I need to bring any calls and which ones?
8. What gear do I need to bring?
9. What do if I harvest a animal while I am out west?
10. Am I in good enough shape for a trip like this?

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I guess the best way to start would be for who ever is interested in a DYI trip out west to elk hunt to decide on which state you would like to go too. There are quite a few states out west that you can Elk hunt in and most of them are states that have drawings for Nonresident permits. There are some good sources on the internet for statistics on all aspects of hunting in different states. One of my favorites is Eastmans Hunting Journal. You can also access the States Fish and Game websites for the different states you might be thinking about. I happen to like Montana even though the drawing process is a little confusing and the non resident license cost is higher than most. Once you decide on a state then the work begins. First find out if the state you choose is a Non resident draw state or a over the counter non resident license state. You will also need to go to the statistics pages on the fish and game site to figure out where you might want to hunt. Most state website will give you the elk kill/ attempt stats for the different areas or units in the state. Remember that in most states there are some general areas that don't require any additional permits but in many states you must draw the general non resident elk license and you also have to draw a unit/area permit. These are limited draw areas/units. As an example for my first choice where I normally archery hunt in Montana I do not need a additional area permit. (Now if I gun hunted this same area I would have to draw a area permit for gun season.) I always have a plan B as well as a Plan A in case I strike out in my favorite area so I also archery hunt the adjoining area to the north. This area requires a area permit even during archery season for bull Elk so I apply for that permit. The same goes for deer you will have to check to see if you will need a permit or not for the area/unit you wish to hunt. In Montana I always get the Elk-Deer Combination license just in case I shoot a Elk early on then I can attempt to hunt a Mule or Whitetail deer.
One thing I would stress to anyone that goes out west and has both tags. Get your Elk first!! Even though it might be tempting to shoot a deer Elk is the real target and you can burn up a lot of time cleaning, preparing, packing out a deer, and then making arrangements for the meat. You will find that most states out west are much much stricter than eastern states on wasting game. You have to pack out all the meat first and then the horns. You must also leave the gender parts attached to the meat in case you have to stop at a check station.

Another thing you need to consider if you are going to bow hunt out west. In most western states you will need to show another states archery license or a bowhunters education course card to get a archery stamp if you are successful at drawing the general Non resident Elk/Deer license. Most states also have a Grandfather clause for this but you really need to ask that states Fish and Game Office. I have found that all the Fish and Game offices are very helpful in all aspects of licensing. Do not be afraid to contact them

Back to the state and permit. You have now decided on the state and the area/unit you you want to hunt. Its now time to apply. Most states have a deadline date for applications whether you do the application on line or mail it in. For Montana the deadline is March 15th. So back in January I applied for My non -resident Elk/deer Combination permit as well as my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for Elk and Deer areas I would like to hunt. I also pd an additional $50 for a extra bonus point for next year in case I was not successful in the drawing process.
Note* Montana has one of the most expensive license/permit fees.

General Big Game Combo.......................$ 954.00
bonus preference fee............................$ 50.00
Drawing fee........................................$ 5.00
Area choice fee...................................$ 15.63
Total $ 1024.63

The permit and license fee will account for 1/3 of the cost of the DYI hunt.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Am I in good enough shape to go on a DYI Elk hunt? Only you can really answer that.

This is sort of a loaded question. There are places you can go that are relatively easy places to hunt Elk. The best hunts I have been on are off the beaten path where other hunters do not go. Elk hunting is normally a pretty difficult hunt. You are not only dealing with higher altitude but difficult terrain. Yes there are relatively easy hunts like the Missouri Breaks in Montana but you will find there are also many more hunters in these areas.

So what kind of shape do you have to be in for the average hunt? My answer would be that you really have to be in good shape. You really need to be in shape to help prevent basic injuries like twisted ankles, hurt knees, or pulled muscles especially in your back as you will be packing in 35-50lbs to many places.

Throughout the year I normally work out at the house doing a basic workout routine but when I know I have drawn a license I really step up my workout program. For example this year I was guessing that I would draw a permit so I started working out at the Gym for two hours a day three days a week back in January. I am not doing anything fancy but doing more of a overall strength and stamina workout. I would start with a good core workout as this will be the base for the rest of your workout. I would also recommend doing a lot of walking or hiking, Basic weightlifting or Machine lifting for both the upper and lower body.

Depending on where you will be hunting the altitude could be a issue. Most of us that do not live at altitude will have a adjustment period once we get out west. Our bodies are used to the lower altitude and humid air. Out west it is just the opposite. You will be in a dry air mass and higher altitudes. There is really nothing we can do to prepare or bodies for the change but your body will adjust. It takes me two days to get used to the higher altitude and thin air. I just take it easy the first few days. I try to pace myself and take my time the first few days but after that I am good to go. If you are motivated there are some places you can go in NC to get a feel for a higher altitude back packing trip. remember while out west you will always have a pack on of some sort. If you do go for hikes or walks wear a backpack with the approximate weight you will be carrying. In my case it is around 40 lbs.

The elevation where my hunt starts is 7800ft that is the starting point at the truck. Its all uphill from there.

Last edited:

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
This is going to be a great thread! Might be nice to make this a sticky so it will be easy to follow.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Now it is decision time. Once you draw your permit you need to make plans as soon as possible.

So now what? I was drawn for a non resident tag!! I can remember the first time I was drawn for a Elk tag in Montana. I was excited but apprehensive at the same time.You are ready and excited to go but now what do I need to do?
The first thing you need to do is decide on the dates you want to go and why. Personally archery season is the best time to do a Elk hunt and I have never considered going during gun season. You might ask why archery season? there are a few reasons and they are all worth considering.

First of all there is nothing like bowhunting for Elk with a bow during the rut. For the most part the Elk rut is during the archery season in most western states. It is impossible to express what one feels when a bull Elk is bugling while coming to the call and then making the shot at 20yds!! Every Elk I have shot has been less than twenty-five yards.

Second which probably the biggest factor is the weather. This is really important when hunting the high country especially on a DIY hunt. In my opinion at least in the Montana high country going after the first week of October you stand a big chance of getting snowed out of your hunt. Most areas are remote and a early season snow storm can end your hunt. This has happened to me twice over the years. I could not go when I wanted to go on my last trip and in fact I was snowed out after the first four days and had to call it quits as there was no way to get back to where I wanted too. It snowed 3 ft over night and more was on the way. This was during the first week of October. Unless you have horses you are pretty much done when this happens.

Third thing is that the later in the season you go the more gear you will need due to that weather. Over the years I have whittled down the gear I take to half of what I took when I first went out west.

So when do you go? The best thing to do is talk with a few people in person or on line hunting websites to find out when the rut is. Where I hunt in Montana the peak of the rut always seems to fall during the middle two weeks of the archery season. How long do I stay? I would not take a trip out west to elk hunt on a DYI hunt for less than two weeks. So for me the middle two weeks of archery season is what I choose. These two weeks fall in September. Another thing is that there are fewer hunters during the archery season so you are not competing with as many hunters to get a animal.

More to come......

Snow in the High Country in September.

To much snow in the high country in October.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very much looking forward to this thread 25contender, thank you. This kind of hunt has been a dream of mine for quite some time, I ain't getting any younger, and this kind of information makes it seem much more doable/attainable.....

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Very much looking forward to this thread 25contender, thank you. This kind of hunt has been a dream of mine for quite some time, I ain't getting any younger, and this kind of information makes it seem much more doable/attainable.....

Hopefully it will give those interested a little insight to a DIY hunt out west. Whether you kill anything or not anyone who hunts should go atleast once in their lifetime to experience such big country.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
What part of Montana? I have family in Bozeman and have been huntin out there once,I need to go again!!!!
I fly into Missoula or Kalispell but hunt a few places I will be flying into Missoula this year and will be hunting in Beaverhead county. I leave the hardtop in Dell I will be in the furthest SW corner of the state.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Now that you have decide when you want to go how should I get there? That all dependeds on how much time you have. If I had a month I could take off I would drive. If you have a few weeks off you could drive to somewhere closer like Colorado, if you had a second driver. As for me Driving to Montana and back would burn 3 days on either end of the hunt so I opt to fly since I only go for two weeks. You will note that I will say this more than once during this thread. If you are going to take a trip out west try to take at least two weeks for your trip. I save points for flying on one of my credit cards so a series of flights to Missoula and back that right now would cost $550.00 costs me nothing. I would also recommend that you make reservations ASAP especially if you are using points on a credit card because I have found out the hard way flights some time book up fast. In fact I have already made my reservations for September. The flights and layovers to Montana take between 8-11 hours so If I take the 6am flight from my home airport I can be scouting in the afternoon of the first day.

Now one of the toughest things to get lined up if you fly is ground transportation when you get there. You will need a four wheel drive truck to get around the back country. I have found that Most Ford dealers in western states have four wheel drive trucks for lease. There are also some car rental places that will line up a four wheel vehicle for you before you get to your destination. All of these places have airport pickup which is nice. A note of caution about leasing a truck. Just as your destination flights fill up fast, four wheel drive trucks lease even faster. A few things to remember, one there are others that want to lease the limited numbers of 4X4 pickups. Another reason why 4X4 trucks lease fast, it is peak fire season during the archery season out west. States lease every 4X4 they can find when fire season is in. My suggestion would be to reserve your truck as soon as you make your flight reservations and don't wait. I have never had to put any money down to reserve a truck and haven't had to pay for it until I pick up the truck. How much will your 4X4 truck lease run? It will run somewhere between $350 and $450 per week including taxes. My truck rental this year from the Ford dealer will run $851.00 for two weeks. The good thing about a trip like this is you can spread out the cost of the trip over 4-5 months so you are not hit with a big layout all at one time.

Time to add up the expenses so far.

Licenses & Permits Including archery stamp...................$ 1039.63
Fight to Destination If you have to pay.........................$ 550.00
4X4 Truck rental.......................................................$ 851.00
Total so far..............................................................$2440.63

Now these are all the major expenses that you will acquire for your trip. There will be other expenses that we will discuss as we go. Some will say why not go with a guide? I will say whether you go with a guide or not the license, flight, and (truck rental if needed) is not included in a guided hunt. You will still have to pay these plus the guide fees tips etc. So you will pay the license, flight fees, and (truck rental if needed) plus between $3000-$7000+ for a five day guided elk hunt depending on where you go.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Ok you know where you are going to go, you have your license and permits, and you have lined up your transportation whether you are driving or flying plus leasing a truck. Now what do you need to bring and how much?

Lets start with one of the most important things period. You need to get a good topo map of of the areas you want to hunt. You need to get a good map that has forest service land, state land, BLM etc so you know where you can hunt and where you are on public land. I always have a good topo map in my pack especially if I am going in and staying for 3-5 days at a time. A GPS is good but depending where you are in the high country you might not always have good satellite signals. You can get one of these maps from the state you are going to hunt in.
The map will look similar to this one but when blown up for your area will have all landmarks roads, trails, topo info, lakes, and everything else you will need. The map below covers way more than you will need. I order my maps individually for the areas I am going to hunt.

These maps are very important. They will help you before you even arrive. You can almost pre scout with theses maps. you can find out of the way places that you just cant see walking our scouting in person. You can find little bowls up high that might hold animals as well as springs wet areas and many other details you wont see from the bottom of the mountains.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Next the most obvious your Bow, arrows and broad heads. Check the regulations for the state you will be hunting in. You will find that most states out west will have a minimum requirement for certain aspects of archery equipment. All states are different. For example in Montana you cannot use a crossbow during archery season, a bow must be atleat 28 inches in length, arrows must be at least 20inches and no lighter than 300 grains, Broad head width must be at least 7/8 inch in diameter, no bows with greater than 80% let off. You must also have hunted with a bow in another state, Bow hunted in Montana before, or have had the Bow Hunters Education class to get your archery stamp. Please check the state regulations before you decide on your bow arrow and broad head combination.

What equipment do I use? I have used the same setup for as long as I can remember. I shoot my bow at 68lbs, a drop away arrow rest and a 6 pin sight. I shoot a carbon arrow combination of no less than 400grains. The broad head I prefer is a 125 grain muzzy three blade, fletching all white 4" vanes. At one time I would take two bows so I would have one as a backup. Now I only bring one as I have never had the need for a backup bow. I would recommend that you practice out to 60 yds. You probably will never shoot that far but its nice to know you can if you have too. All the Elk I have shot have been less than 25 yds.

You don't need to shoot a 80lb bow but I would recommend that you shoot a heavier arrow than most would shoot here for whitetail. I shoot a Scott wrist strap release. I also like a hip quiver out west the bow quivers are to heavy to carry all day and they absolutely get in the way when going through tight areas. I also use a bow sling to carry my bow, get one that is Neoprene as it wont slip on you shoulder and it will absorb some of the shock. Your string and cables will catch hell from the sagebrush so make sure your bow sling has a string protector. I bring 2 dozen arrows with me as I like to shoot grouse for camp meat while I am hunting. Believe me when I say that you will loose a few arrows Shooting Grouse!!.

You will also need a good Bow case as the airlines have no mercy on any luggage you will check.

A few older pics from one of my first trips to Montana. For you younger guys these are scanned there was no digital back then.

Some of the first grouse I ever shot with a bow.

The first Elk I ever shot. This Elk was shot 4 Miles from the truck and we stayed over night. It snowed 6 inches that night.

A good friend with the elk and at our make shift camp while we cleaned and readied the Elk for packing out. Yes we had fresh Elk for dinner!

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Awesome info so far. Of note about the driving. I have driven from Charlotte to Missoula and back in 4.5 days, App State-Montana football game so i definitely think driving is an option if it is a group going and not a solo guy, just don't be prepared to hunt immediately when one gets there if going that route.

Our driving broke down as follows going the routes to hit the most states and not the most direct Way: driver 1 started in hickory at 4 pm on Thursday. Switch drivers in Lexington, KY that night. Switch drivers in Rochester, IL around 4 am Friday. Switch drivers in St. Paul, MN at 9 am. Switch drivers in Bismarck, ND Friday before sunset. Pull into hotel in Bozeman at 11 pm Friday night. So it took us 31 hours to get there with 3 ppl in a mid-size rental stopping to eat 2 times. On the way home from Missoula we stopped to eat 2 times as well but also stopped at two different Cabelas. Left the stadium traffic around 7ish Saturday night and pulled into Charlotte around 9 am Monday. So that was 38 hours there abouts. So it can be done, just have to figure out if 4 days of driving is worth the money savings by giving up 2 days of hunting (figure one travel day on each end of the trip no matter what). I know myself, when I go out to Wyoming eventually I will probably drive, but I'm used to 8+ hour road trips for work and plan on going with at least one hunting buddy, plus it's about 8 hours closer than Missoula to where I plan on going.

Question regarding equipment, what do you carry extras of? I would think an extra release would be a good safety measure to take as well as an extra knife.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Question regarding equipment, what do you carry extras of? I would think an extra release would be a good safety measure to take as well as an extra knife.
I will be putting up a list of what I bring with me and what I get when I get out to Montana. Just haven't quite got that far yet. I can tell you I bring less than half of what I used to bring with me. After a few trips you start to whittle down what you take with you.
Driving like that isn't a option for me as I usually go alone or with one other. You could add another day on to your schedule with one or two driving. I only have two weeks so 5 Days of driving and possibly another to recuperate would really bite into the two weeks I can take. As mentioned above if I had a month driving would be at the top of the list. You still have to account that 90% of us will have to get acclimated once you get at altitude and a day or three to locate the Elk you want to hunt. You would be surprised how hard it is to get one person to go out west and then they back out midstream or the last minute . You sort of have to keep that in mind. By that time it is to late for anyone else to apply for the Permits/License. Also if you fly and rent a vehicle you can split the vehicle two or three ways depending on how many go. If I take the early flight from NC I will be glassing the first evening.

By the way I went to Appalachian.

Last edited:

straightline

Very informative and all spot on. Another good source of info for those interested is a subscription to Huntin Fool. Good luck on your trip.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Awesome thread!
For future hunts and money saving and if you need another hunter in camp, I will save you the truck rental part of it. I live 5 hours from Missoula and am always up for another elk hunt.
Goodluck with everything and if you get in a bind or need anything once you get out here, i can be there within a few hours. I know traveling with your hunting stuff, anything can happen, so just know you have a backup bow (if you're right handed) clothing, tents, sleeping bags and whatever else, that can be delivered to you that day.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Awesome thread!
For future hunts and money saving and if you need another hunter in camp, I will save you the truck rental part of it. I live 5 hours from Missoula and am always up for another elk hunt.
Goodluck with everything and if you get in a bind or need anything once you get out here, i can be there within a few hours. I know traveling with your hunting stuff, anything can happen, so just know you have a backup bow (if you're right handed) clothing, tents, sleeping bags and whatever else, that can be delivered to you that day.
Definitely always looking for someone to go. I know it is to late this year but we need to keep in touch. If what holds true from the past few years there will be some leftover permits for this year. I think last year the leftovers went on sale after June first.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Before I start listing what I bring with me and why, I really at this time want to talk about one thing that is very important. I learned something the hard way on one of my first trips so don't laugh!! Your feet!! That is right your feet are probably the most important thing you will have to take care of before you go on your trip and while you are there. If you cant walk you cannot hunt its plain and simple. On one of my first trip I was not to savvy about boots socks or boot liners. Being from a place like NC your feet are not subject to the conditions you will be in day to day up in the high country. You will be walking up, down, across, and backwards in some very difficult terrain with lots of rocks and shale. I really messed up my feet one year because my boots were not up to par for the conditions. I had blisters from the tips of my toes to my heels and lost three toe nails during that trip. (they all came back Thankfully!) The terrain is tough enough without making it worse on yourself. I struggled the whole second week of that trip and it wasn't any fun. I swore I would never skimp on boots or socks again.
Walking up the mountains is actually easy on the feet its the coming down and going across steep slopes that will make a mess of you feet. You need a good boot period. You need a over the ankle low top boot that will hold your feet in place. A boot that will not give to much so your foot will not slide back and both or front to back. A boot that will give you good support around your ankles and wont blow out. I have tried many boots over the years and you have to make sure that boot fits you perfectly so you will be able to climb up and down without worry of ruining your feet, twisting a ankle, or blowing out a knee. I always have to remind myself that where we go there is no I mean no cell phone service for 30 miles or so so if you cant walk you can get into trouble fast.
The two pair of boots I like the best are the Lowa Tibet Pro GTX and the Hanwag Alaska Mens GTX. I know that the Lowas are still available and the Hanwags are by order in most places. I find that they are pretty true to size so you should order them to fit. You should get your foot sized at a shoe store if you are not sure of your true foot size. Most places you get them from are online and all have a return policy if they do not fit. Both of these boots are tried and true. They are great boots and you will get years of service from them. I would suggest you get them a few months ahead of time to do a little break in before your trip and so you will get used to them. They are not Cheap boots yet they are not the most expensive. They will run between $300-$400 dollars for a good boot. In boots you do pay for what you get.

Though the footbeds that come in the boots are ok you might want to invest in a good pair of Synergy Footbeds for your boots. They will give your feet more support and keep your feet from sliding around to much. Definitely a plus.

Now that you have good boots and good footbeds for your boots you must have a good sock that will not slide down into your boot while hiking through the mountains. I like the Bridgedale Socks they really seem to work well. Before I go on this trip I will order a new set of Bridgedale Socks you can get the 4 season pack which has different weight socks for different conditions. They are self wicking socks that will pull the moisture away from your feet. Do not wear cotton socks!! They will ruin your feet on long hikes you need a Marino wool of a self wicking synthetic blend to keep your feet in good shape. The Bridgedale Endurance Trail Socks,the Bridgedale Endurance Trekker, and the Bridgedale Coolmax Liner Socks are good choices. I always bring eight pair of socks with me for two weeks and always keep a few pair in my pack while I am hiking in case I need to change socks. Yes you can wear socks out on this trip. I do wash and dry them when I change them so I can wear them again later in the trip.

Once again really take care of your feet and you will have a much better and safer hunt out west.

A few pics of some of the terrain you will encounter.

From relatively flat country like the Missouri Breaks about 3400ft Cactus juniper and lots of clay Called (Gumbo)

To southwest Montana starting at around 7500ft and up from there. Lots of rock and shale.

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Good info On taking care of your feet. I know whenever I backpack I change socks every night when I stop hiking and never try to hike long distance in a boot or even trail shoe that hasn't been broken in. Really enjoying your posts on this.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I finally got around to getting my archery permit online today. There is no need to get it until you know you have your elk or deer tags. I did notice that there are left over license for sale online starting May 6th. So if anyone wants to join me let me know and I can tell you what to do. I can fill you in with the dates I will be going. Mark

Last edited:

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This has been very informative and I look forward to continuing to be a follower. You should do one of these on how you tie those bucks to trees to shoot them with your bow!

25contender

Twelve Pointer
This has been very informative and I look forward to continuing to be a follower. You should do one of these on how you tie those bucks to trees to shoot them with your bow!
Thanks I hope it helps anyone who might want to go one day!! I will get to the bucks later in the year. Got some great video footage to share from last season.

I may have missed it but are you hunting solo?
I will be in Montana for 16 days this year. One week of that I will be solo. The other week one of my friends that lives in Montana will be joining me. I have already pulled out my gear and have started going through everything. I like to get a head start so I know what needs to be replaced fixed, removed, or added from what I will take with me.

I have tons of photos from over the years and thought I would take some time and share a few with you. I only bowhunt and hunt in September. Believe it or not you can get some snow in September in the high country. You definitely get snow in October and that is one reason I don't go in October anymore. So you might see some snow in some of the photos. I thought I would show some of the different types of terrain in the unit I normally hunt. It is tough and hard to access country but well worth the effort to get to some of these places.

This is one of my favorite places to hunt, you have to traverse a mile or so of rocks and boulders to get back into the basin.In the bottom below the boulders and rock are willows. Heading in to this basin and others I have seen many many Moose. I tried for ten years to get a Nonresident Moose tag but it never happened. Everyone thinks of Moose as a boggy bottom, water and river type of animal but the truth be told the Shiras Moose thrives in the mountains at higher elevations and the dry climate. The Moose is probably the one animal I consider to be the most dangerous animal on these trips.
0_0_3eec8fe9674ac1c917b7c664323f4789_1

One of the few mountain lakes you will find. Most of the lakes and small streams hold lots of native and non native trout species. The non-resident Elk-Deer combo license comes with a fishing license and upland bird license. I have done quite a bit of trout fishing in the past.
0_0_1b2da82bdea6e4ba8c24617883e4f370_1

These couple of photos will show you some of the steep terain you would encounter in most of western Montana. This is one of the reasons you need good boots and the reason to take care of your feet. It is absolutely zero fun trekking around these mountains with blisters. (Speaking from experience)
0_0_c68c996a66d7723529056ab5f13a3e6f_1

0_0_b99a6fbfcc8dfcc743e76286a1d57cbd_1

These are a few from a couple of my favorite glassing ridges, and no you cant drive to these spots. I like to take the first and maybe the second day to do a lot of glassing to figure out where and how the Elk are moving. It also gives me a day or two to acclimate to the altitude. Most of my glassing spots are at around 7000-7500 feet. It is very important to have some good glass to scout with. I carry my binos everywhere. I prefer 10X42s to carry with me. 10X50s tend to get a little bulky and heavy. Every ounce counts when you have to carry it on your person everyday. One note even on glassing expeditions always bring your bow!!

0_0_4423e86fb3f2b95de410329c2bf436cd_1

0_0_58386853ae5185abf12fa51b100af923_1

0_0_3f041b57b76b09f460145d652e2d75fd_1

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Alright lets start with the gear I bring with me. This post will be on the archery gear. There was a time that I would bring two bows with me to Montana, my primary bow and a backup bow. After so many trips without ever needing the backup I decided to only bring one bow with me now and a few other things just in case. Here is a list of archery equipment I bring with me.

1. The bow set at 68-70lbs with a well waxed shot in string with a Large hole two string peep, a pin sight with level bubble sighted from 20-60 yds., drop away arrow rest, string silencers, knocking loop, wrist strap, Cable guard, and a short stabilizer.
2. A extra shot in bowstring and cable set, also extra knocking loop material.
3. A bow sling. A bow sling is a must for carrying your bow all day. I sometime carry the bow on my pack. I like a bow sling that has a two sided neoprene strap smooth on one side and neoprene on the other it also has a string protector. We walk through
some nasty stuff that is tough on bow strings. Sagebrush is the worst offender.
4. A cable type bow press.
5. Serving material.
6. A lighter.
7. Bow string Wax.
8. Allen wrench set.
9. A tiny disposable tube of blue loctite.
10. 2 matching releases one I wear and a backup in my backpack at all times.
11. A good bowcase with TSA approved locks that can be slammed around by the airlines.

Arrows:
1. I bring 2 dozen fletched numbered arrows with 2 dozen pre-aligned broadheads. Personally every elk I have killed has been with a Muzzy 100 or 125grain 3blade, I like a total arrow weight about 450-745 grains.
2. A few extra knocks.
3. 6 field tips the same weight as my broad heads.
4. 6 g5 small game tips. Same weight as my broadheads.
5. A hip quiver.
6. Small tube of superglue gel.

Much of the above is left in the truck and most of the above is small and does not take up much space when you are packing for the trip. There is a good bow shop in Missoula but it is 3 hours away from where I hunt. I always pay them a visit when I get there just to say hello and I also purchase a small target to practice shooting at camp.

Just a few more thoughts. I really like a multiple pin sight fir Elk hunting. Mine go from 20-60 yards. I have found that many times things happen fast and you are calling, ranging, or in awkward positions when getting ready to shoot. One pin slider type sights just seem to be to much trouble in these situations. A Elk can cover a lot of ground very fast and even though I bring a range finder I spend a lot of time judging yardage all year just for this reason. Practice makes perfect. You don't have to shoot hundreds of arrows a week but you should shoot a few groups every week. Remember the shots you will be taking will be on some type of angle. Practice all the angle shots, uphill,downhill, across a slope etc. Every Elk I have shot has been from my knees so I practice most of my shots from that position. Make sure you are not canting your bow and Use a sight with a level bubble. Nothing like shooting a Elk from your knees at 15yds!!! Even though my pins go out to 60yds I am pretty patient and all my Elk have been called in and shot inside 25yds.

A pic I took of a nice bull after I had already shot one a few days earlier.
0_0_7799708bb6a030577c4971e45276db66_1

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Optics? My optics are very simple and straight forward. I would recommend getting or borrowing some good binoculars to take with you. I feel that 10x50s are to bulky so I opt for 10x42s with a good bino strap or bino harness. I like a good neoprene bino strap because I can slide my binos around to my right side out of the way when I am getting ready to shoot. I don't like anything on my chest bowhunting. Just one more thing for your bowstring to hit. The better the glass in your binos the less eye fatigue you will have especially on long Glassing sits.

I also carry a small range finder. If I get set up and have a chance to do some ranging I will. Like I mentioned earlier I like them close so ranging normally is not a problem but I do carry a range finder on my belt.

Camera yes nothing fancy or bulky just a small Sony digital. You should try to bring a charger that you can plug into the cigarette lighter of your truck to charge your camera batteries . I would hate to run out of battery power in my camera. This year I might bring a small video camera with me but not sure yet. It just depends on if I have enough room to pack it in the limited space.

1. 10x 42 Binoculars with good glass
2. A small range finder.
3. A good but small camera or possibly a small video camera. Also bring a 12v charger for and extra sd cards or tapes for that camera.

One of my favorite pics I took after a brief shower. I knew it was going to be a good afternoon when I saw this rainbow. I'm not superstitious but shot my biggest Elk later in the afternoon this day only 500yds from where I took this photo.
0_0_91dd84aa5c5ad632ef5fdbb0d236e863_1

Last edited: