Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prized Possessions

Default Prized Possessions

Cars, trucks, boats, homes, property you name it, all those possessions I've had, but do they really qualify as a 'PRIZED POSSESSION'? I think NOT!

A few weeks ago we decided to clear out one of our back rooms so I could setup my reloading equipment again and Lori would have space to make her wreaths. When I started cleaning out an old computer desk I came across something that brought back a ton of pleasant memories. Approximately 17 years ago I was deep in the dumps, coming off of a really rough divorce. One particular day I was in an extra foul mood when my oldest son Alex comes toddling up to me, hugs my neck and tells me 'Daddy I've got sumthin to make you feel all better!' then he gets this sheepish grin on his face and pulls an item out of his pocket placing it in the palm of my hand. The item itself was irrelevant, but the sentiment of a four year old made all the difference in the world to me. His actions that day had a lasting impact and actually spurred me into getting back on my feet to start that march called life again. I've always known where the item he gave me was and it's always followed me over the years and God willing it'll be placed in the box along with this old body when I'm done with it.

Do you have a prized possession that can never be replaced? Mine is the most valuable pinecone in the world!

Here's the little boy that helped me more than he'll ever know and the man he's become.

My grandpa (the greatest man I've ever known) would come in from the fields and drink water from a ladle he had hung on a nail - on the side of the kitchen cabinet.

When he died, that's all I ever really wanted. It's the one material thing that reminds me of him to this day. A few years ago, we did a complete kitchen remodel, and the first thing my wife did to decorate.....was drive a small nail into the side of her new cabinets to hang that ladle on.

It's worth nothing.......yet it's priceless (to me).

REALLY cool thread, Fester.
    I'm too old to be governed by a fear of dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    My grandpa (the greatest man I've ever known) would come in from the fields and drink water from a ladle he had hung on a nail - on the side of the kitchen cabinet.

When he died, that's all I ever really wanted. It's the one material thing that reminds me of him to this day. A few years ago, we did a complete kitchen remodel, and the first thing my wife did to decorate.....was drive a small nail into the side of her new cabinets to hang that ladle on.

It's worth nothing.......yet it's priceless (to me).

REALLY cool thread, Fester.
    Thanks,

The ladle brings back memories of cranking up a bucket from the hand dug well then dipping out a swig with a ladle like that at my neighbors house when I was a kid.

I have my grandpa's very old john deer tractor. It's not a big one but that the g has done it's duty!! Only thing I ever wanted of his and it's the only thing I have from him. Miss that man every day!
    1942 Mosin Nagant chambered in 7.62x54R
    Mossy 20 Gauge 500 pump
    Marlin and Mossy .22
    50 Cal Hawkin BP
    50 Cal Knight
    H&R .308
    Remington 770 .243

I have a lot of things that I wouldn't take anything for but are not worth much to others but the one that comes to mind immediately is an old toboggan.

My Grandpa was one of the strongest men I have ever known. Grew up a poor country boy plowing fields behind a mule, fought in World War II and walked across Germany, raised 5 kids and taught them all respect for others and he was one of the best brick masons that ever walked. He was a mans man but as the way of all the world is, if we live long enough we will become frail and weak.

I watched the strongest man I have ever known mentally and physically turn in to a weak old man that needed help getting up and down....the last few years of his life he was always cold, stayed cold, I think it was the medicine but I found a very expensive toboggan and I told my wife that will help keep pops warm, so we bought it.....Grandpa and his toboggan was like Santa Clause and his red hat, if you saw one you saw the other, He wore that thing to bed, he wore that thing to eat and always had it on except to go to church. It turned into his favorite item.

When he passed away it broke my heart but as all things lessen with time so does our pain.... well I was over at grandma's one day about 6 months later and she said... hey I have something I want you to have...She came in there and brought Grandpa's burgundy toboggan and handed it to me. I could feel the tears swelling up in my eyes and a lump swelling up in my throat I hadn't felt since Grandpa had passed. It was one of his prize possessions and to have it given back to me meant more than anything else. I wouldn't trade that toboggan for his truck or any of his guns. It stays in my hunting backpack and when its cold I wear that toboggan and remember the man that wore it before me.

Its worth nothing to anyone else on earth and I wouldn't take anything for it.
    Your either a genius or an idiot and I havnt made my mind up yet.

I've got a feeling there are some fantastic stories like these out there. Thanks for sharing. I'm driving to Wisconsin tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing others prized possessions.

According to the wife everything and anything we've ever owned has sentimental value and cannot be discarded. One look in my garage will confirm this. I need a bigger garage.

My Grandfather worked as a farmer and walked many miles behind a Mule plowing fields as many others did years ago. Grandpa helped raise me until I was 12 years old. He came down with Cancer and passed on in 1958. I often think about him and still miss the man today.. I have his old single barrel 12 ga. shotgun that he bought when he was a young man not long after the turn of the twentieth century. His Sons hunted with that gun and so did I for many years. The shotgun was made by the Bridge Gun Company. That shotgun is the only thing I have that belonged to Grandpa and I treasure it greatly..

Most today cannot even imagine a man who never had running water inside his house, a refrigerator, a toilet, and he did not have electric lights until 1955..When the Cancer wore him down to where he could no longer farm, his children bought the old man a TV to enjoy during his final days..Pa, you taught me many values that I still cling to until this very day,,,thanks....
    Nothing seems to move faster on this planet than time ...
    NRA member..

Attachment 32778Attachment 32777Attachment 32774Attachment 32775
    Attached Images Attached Images

Only thing tangible I have from my late father. ..is an old weatherby shotgun. Had to have it repaired...and used it to kill my first gobbler with it. It will never leave until I'm gone..

Also I am thankful for my daughter, fiance and health. Having a job that allows me to pay bills also.