Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prized Possessions

Quote Originally Posted by pcbuckhunter View Post
    One of my most prized possesions is a photo. My Grandfather was diagnosed with cancer early in 2000. He fought it throughout the year, and finally had it "manageable" around Thanksgiving. He never was much of a deer hunter, he was more into bird hunting and small game hunting. He took up deer hunting more seriously when he retired. That year much to my surprise, he decided he wanted to kill one last deer.

The last day of the Western Region deer season my Dad, Grandaddy and I were all in the woods. I drove Grandaddy as close to his spot as I could and helped him get set up and went to my stand. It was getting on up in the morning with no deer seen, and no shots heard. I was getting anxious that Grandaddy wouldn't get his "one last deer". I just closed my eyes and said Lord if there is anyway, send a deer to Grandaddy. As I opened my eyes I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. A big doe had eased out of the woods and was standing in my shooting lane. As I raised the gun and was squeezed the trigger, another shot went off, and another. It sounded like 3 shots together. BOOMBOOMBOOM. I looked at my watch it was 9:58. I climbed down, checked the doe, and drug her to the road. I got the truck, loaded her, and went over to Grandaddy's stand. He was grinning from ear to ear. He whispered" I got my deer son, it's a buck too...". I teared up right then and there. I helped Grandaddy get up and make his way over to the deer, a nice 6 point. He rubbed the horns a little, and then I helped him get back to the truck. I went to get his deer and Daddy was there when I got it to the truck. He had shot a doe too. After getting his doe loaded up, we headed to the house.

When we got to the house, Grandaddy insisted on taking pictures of all of us and our deer. Grandma came out and took pictures. Grandaddy was weaker than a dish rag, but wouldn't go in. He made me bring a chair out of the house so he could sit and talk with us while we skinned the deer. While we were talking, I asked Grandaddy what time he shot his deer. He said "9:58". Daddy kinda jumped a little, I did to. In all the excitement, it never dawned on us that all three of us shot our deer at the same time. After getting the deer cleaned up, and Grandaddy's buck caped out, he made us take him right to the taxidermist. Boy he was stubborn. We finally made him go rest after we got back from the Taxidermist.

That day was the first time all three of us were succesful on the same hunt. Grandaddy was more excited that day than I had ever seen him over deer hunting. He talked about that deer to everybody that would listen.The memory of that day stands in the forefront of my mind to this day.

It was the last time Grandaddy ever left the house of his own power. Grandaddy passed away on January 26, 2001. In the last few days before he passed away the pictures that had been dropped off were forgotten. The day after his funeral, I remembered them. I went and picked them up, and the first picture I saw when I opened them up was the three of us. It turns out that those were the last pictures that were ever taken of him. That picture is absolutely priceless to me. Oh and on February 15, Grandaddy's birthday, I picked up his mount. The picture hangs right beside the mount in my living room.
    What an awesome memory! Would love to see the pic.

Attachment 32804Attachment 32805
    Attached Images Attached Images

You fellows are lucky...I never knew either of my grand fathers...

Quote Originally Posted by nchawkeye View Post
    You fellows are lucky...I never knew either of my grand fathers...
    In my case at least, very lucky.
    "Would you look at all those those stars. I mean you look up and you think God made all of that and He still remembered to make a little speck like me. It's kind of flattering really."-Morgan Earp

My grandfather was a commercial fisherman all of his life, born and raised in Pamlico County. From the time I was big enough to free his hands from the wheel of that old shrimp boat I worked every summer by his side. Grandmomma would get us up every morning at 4AM to a breakfast of oatmeal, pan-fried toast, and coffee. She'd pack me a little snack bag of Nabs, something sweet, and always a 6 ounce Coke in a bottle.

Granddaddy never owned a car, never had a driver's licence. Always said he didn't need one....his whole life was in Oriental. He rode an old bicycle with a big basket on the front til the day he died. We'd ride bikes down to the harbor before daylight, get on the boat, and head out to make the first "tow" of many. He pulled a trawl that had two huge "doors" with iron on the bottom to keep them down and chains to attach the tow warps to. Them suckers weighed a ton! The proudest day of my life was the day when I could reach over the side, pulled that trawl door up, and hook the chain over that post on the gunnel. Granddaddy yelled and screamed to the top of his lungs at how proud he was of me, it was better than winning a million dollars....

When I was 14-15 he gave me a 16' flat-bottomed skiff and 100 yards of gill net. I made all of my own money for clothes and stuff during the first few years of high school net fishing. I'd come home from school and ask Granddaddy, "where do ya think they'll be running tonight Daddy David?" He'd scratch his head and say something like, "With this tide and this wind I set out across the mouth of Whitaker's Creek. You'll probly load the boat"...and I'd pole over to that "spot" after school, run out the net, and wait til.... like Granddaddy taught me, I could feel the mullet thumping really good on that cork line. Then I'd fish the net. There were nights that I had to hide the net on a bank somewhere because keeping it on the boat with all the mullet I caught would have sunk'er!

He's been gone some time now. He fished, shrimped, and oystered Neuse River til he was 85 years old. Last Christmas my sister gave me a picture of Granddaddy. He was standing in the cull tray of that old trawler at the same dock that we rode those bicycles to so many summer mornings....and right next to it was the 16' skiff he gave me that I rowed or poled for so many nights. It's right in front of me now and more than anything in this world I wish I could spend just one more day on that old trawler with Daddy David and pull that old trawl door up one more time......
    Archery is a passion...accuracy is an obsession. Steve Morley
    If ya gotta fight, fight like you're already dead....

Twelve Pointer

Real tear jerkers here guys.
    BYBP Chatham chapter

Old Mossy Horns

I have a lot of prized possessions, guns, knives, pictures, etc. I am blessed to have huge framed pictures of my Great Grandparents on all four sides of the family. I have one picture on tin of my Great Great Grandfather who fought in the Civil War.

I didn't know it when I bought the place where I live now but it was part of the plantation that he was overseer on. Some further investigation revealed that the house he lived in on the plantation was about 200 yards from my deck.

Old turkey call my grandfather hand made MANY years ago and his shotgun.....
    24 DLX Carolina Skiff- Fortuitous

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post

JOE!!! Those are absolutely adorable kids! And nice bucks to go with them! Thanks for posting!!!

I can remember plowing behind a team of mules. Not my fondest memories but at this stage of my life I wouldn't change that experience.

One other not my fondest but probably hard to beat. As a boy I had a paper route, total of over 4 miles round trip and I sold a paper most on here have never heard of: The Grit. Delivered those darn papers every Saturday and I had to walk the entire route. If I recall the paper cost $.10 and I can't remember it I got $.04 or $.06 of each copy sold. The bad or perhaps good thing was that the route was a mile from my house to the last customer on that route. I would then walk back home pick up the papers and head off for another mile in the opposite direction. Sometimes the snow and cold was so bad I could not make both routes and would have to deliver the second route on Sunday after church. Dad would not let me have a bicycle, to dangerous on a highway that had maybe ten vehicles pass by during the entire day. Yep mighty dangerous.