"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
USFWS "In their own words... You decide... "Illegal" Wolves & "Their" Words...

8150876361_90841d7242.jpg

Proven solution to remove all "Illegally" Released Wolves and their subsequent offspring on Private Land…

RED WOLF MANAGEMENT SERIES
TECHNICAL REPORT NO. 1

A PLAN FOR REESTABLISHING THE RED WOLF
ON ALLIGATOR RIVER NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
NORTH CAROLINA

U.S. FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE
SOUTHEAST REGION

Recapture Techniques and Procedures, Page 17

"Whenever recapture of an animal appears warranted, to expedite the effort, a
Helicopter will most likely be brought in and the animal tranquilized".

"Capture techniques utilizing a helicopter were applied in the 1976 and 1978 Bulls
Island red wolf projects and were proven to be highly reliable and feasible".

"It appears that in most instances, a helicopter would still
be employed in the retrieval of tranquilized red wolves".

http://redwolfssp.org/newsite/tech_reports/tech_report_01.pdf

Quote right out of the USFWS Rule below:

"A basic premise adopted by the Service for this project is that when a red wolf must be recaptured, it should be done as quickly and humanely as possible".

http://ecos.fws.gov/docs/federal_register/fr1195.pdf

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Today, USFWS "Briefs" Congress and "Request" your input and comments!!

USFWS Request your comments on the link below…

http://jgassett.polldaddy.com/s/red-wolf-restoration-recovery-program

Sent: Friday, August 29, 2014 09:55 AM
To: Megan Kelhart <Megan_Kelhart@fws.gov<mailto:Megan_Kelhart@fws.gov>>
Subject: FWS News Release: Eastern North Carolina Red Wolf Population Under Review

Dear North Carolina delegation staff,

Please see below for information regarding the Service's review of the Eastern N.C. red wolf population. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Best,

Megan

Megan Debranski Kelhart
Office of Congressional and Legislative Affairs
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Office: (703) 358-2536
Mobile: (202) 365-7255

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
News Release

Eastern North Carolina Red Wolf Population Under Review
--Focus Group Sessions Scheduled &#8211;

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service awarded a contract to conduct a review of the Eastern North Carolina non-essential, experimental red wolf population to the Wildlife Management Institute (WMI), of Cabot, Virginia. Founded in 1911, WMI is a private, non-profit, scientific and educational organization, dedicated to the conservation, enhancement, and professional management of North America's wildlife and other natural resources.

The evaluation will be completed in 60 days by October 10, 2014. Under the Service&#8217;s contract, it will be peer reviewed and then used to help the Service determine the program&#8217;s future. That determination is expected to be finalized in early 2015. The evaluation will cover three primary areas: scientific, management, and public attitudes.

&#8220;Program evaluations are a normal practice to ensure optimal effectiveness and have been conducted in other recovery programs, such as the Mexican wolf recovery program,&#8221; said Leopoldo Miranda, Assistant Regional Director of Ecological Services in the Service&#8217;s Southeast Region. &#8220;Once we receive the final evaluation, we will review it and make a decision to continue, modify, or terminate the red wolf recovery program non-essential, experimental population in North Carolina.&#8221;

"The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission fully supports this evaluation to ensure the red wolf recovery program is based on sound-science and is managed in full alignment with the Red Wolf Recovery Plan,&#8221; said Gordon Myers, Executive Director, North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. &#8220;We are committed to assisting the Service any way we can throughout this process.&#8221;

"We are interested in the public&#8217;s perspectives regarding red wolves, and red wolf recovery efforts in Eastern North Carolina," Miranda added. &#8220;As part of the human dimensions portion of the evaluation, the Service also asked WMI to conduct two public focus group sessions.&#8221;

WMI will host the first in Swan Quarter, North Carolina,
from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 10,
in the Mattamuskeet High School Cafeteria
located at 20392 U.S. Highway 264.

The second will be held in Columbia, North Carolina,
from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 11,
in the Columbia High School&#8217;s Auditorium
located at 902 East Main Street

Interested individuals may submit comments, concerns, or information regarding the Eastern North Carolina non-essential, experimental red wolf population and the program evaluation to the following e-mail: redwolfreview@fws.gov<mailto:redwolfreview@fws.gov>. WMI also is conducting a brief voluntary online survey that does not request any personal identifiable information. Interested individuals may submit input to either, or both.

To access the survey visit the following link: http://jgassett.polldaddy.com/s/red-wolf-restoration-recovery-program

Any comments should be submitted no later than September 12, 2014. This will allow WMI time to review the comments and ensure relevant information can be considered during the review. Comments received after that date will not be considered in the program evaluation.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the principal federal agency responsible for conserving, protecting and enhancing fish, wildlife and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.

For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov/southeast<http://www.fws.gov/southeast>. Connect with us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usfwssoutheast<http://www.facebook.com/usfwssoutheast>, follow our tweets at www.twitter.com/usfwssoutheast<http://www.twitter.com/usfwssoutheast>, watch our YouTube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/usfws, and download photos from our Flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/usfwssoutheast.
# # #

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I took the survey. I told them that the USF&W should stop violating state and federal laws and honor their agreements.

Jett

Ten Pointer
Hoping the black helicopters didn't get Jett! ;)

GSOHunter,

I appreciate your concern! ;)
There are many moving parts to this effort to remove the red wolf program from our State and save our wildlife. I have been very busy with these efforts on another fronts this week. Hopefully over the weekend I can post some more information.

Jett

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
Leo Miranda
USFWS
1875 Century Boulevard
Atlanta, GA 30345
Via certified mail

August 29, 2014

Mr. Miranda,

Following up regarding my email to you on August 24th, I am formally requesting the renewal of the &#8220;take&#8221; permit issued to John J. Ferebee, Jr., Rob Prewitt, and Dan Woody that expired on August 2, 2014.

Attached are pictures from the first night I returned my camera system to service on 8/23/2014. I believe the large collared male wolf shown on camera 3 (8/24/14 - 2:31 am) is the wolf that was previously using my farm. I paid my trapper to trap this wolf last February. He was returned to USFWS by my trapper, and I was assured measures would be taken to keep him from returning to my property.

In less than a month, this wolf showed back up on my cameras and I asked you about him. Upon checking with the biologists, it was revealed to you that the biologists had re-released this wolf in the &#8220;southern portion&#8221; of his territorial range. This was hardly what we had agreed upon.

Again, I am requesting a take permit to remove this and any other wolves using our property. The take permit should be amended to include the other wolves using our property, not just this one. As you are painfully aware, I have way better information about your wolves on our property than USFWS apparently has. Time is of the essence.

Sincerely,

Jett Ferebee

Cc: Gordon Myers, NCWRC Director

attachment.php

p_000039.jpg

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Ryan Nordsven, USFWS on &quot;Illegally&quot; Stocked Red Wolf Land Owner &quot;Removal&quot; Request...

"Even if we could remove them all, then more coyotes would likely just come in and take their territories," Ryan replies. Plus, the team simply doesn't have the manpower to trap all the coyotes off the peninsula"

pg. 20, T. Deeland Beeland Book

If they didn't have the manpower to trap & "Kill" the Coyotes, as stated in their Adaptive Management Plan how and the world can the have the manpower to trap all these Illegally Released Wolves onto Private Landowners??

Time to issue the requested "Take" Permits to the Landloard's of the USFWS Illegally Stocked Red Wolves and their offspring!!!

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
I Want Your Wolves Gone

To: leopoldo_miranda <leopoldo_miranda@fws.gov>; cynthia_dohner <cynthia_dohner@fws.gov>; d_m_ashe <d_m_ashe@fws.gov>; redwolfreview <redwolfreview@fws.gov>; redwolfreview <redwolfreview@fws.gov>; Secretary_jewell <Secretary_jewell@ios.doi.gov>
Date: Sat, Aug 30, 2014 8:30 am

Leo,

These wolves are collared and are supposed to be monitored and returned to captivity/refuge as required by the ESA rules. Why has USFWS not contacted me to immediately capture these wolves and return them to captivity/refuge as promised in the 1986/1995 rules governing these nonessential-experimental wolves? I believe I have made it clear that I do not want your wolves on my private property.

Apparently USFWS has no intention of monitoring their wolf population and returning them to captivity/refuge as required by the ESA rules. If USFWS cannot meet its obligations to the private landowners in eastern NC, this entire program needs to be shut down. You do not have the right to violate the law.

USFWS has done worse than "abandon" their efforts to capture these wolves. They have made NO efforts to monitor and capture these wolves as required. Or are your biologists knowingly allowing these wolves to inhabit my private property? Worse yet, did your biologist illegally release these wolves on my private land as they have done throughout Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell, Washington, and Beaufort counties on other private land? My recent FOIA request revealed almost 50% of your red wolf releases were illegal releases on private land after USFWS promised the public to release only on refuge land and also to return all dispersing wolves to the refuge.

You know I do not want to harm your wolves, but after I trapped them and gave them back to you in February and your biologists simply turned them back out on nearby land, I must do something to protect the depleted wildlife population on my farm.

You should have my take permit request in your office. I need this permit now.

Thanks,
Jett

attachment.php

great 8:30 pic.jpg

attachment.php

good 8:30 woof pic.jpg

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Hey, it's just a &quot;Program Evaluation&quot;... Relax!!!

acorn_395.jpg

Kim Wheeler, Red Wolf Coilition / "Plaintiffs" Busted... Community Organizing on "Facebook" Re: Question 8!!!

https://m.facebook.com/redwolfcoali...0496563143/10152294619243144/?type=1&refid=17

shapeimage_2.png

Quote from T. D. Beeland, Red Wolf Coilition "Board Member"...

For a few weeks now, I&#8217;ve been suspecting that something awfully fishy is going on in Red Wolf Country. I can&#8217;t escape the premonition that higher-ups in the Fish and Wildlife Service are positioning their pawns to kill or significantly alter the red wolf reintroduction program. Three years have passed since I finished writing my book on red wolves, and it&#8217;s been one year since it was published. But so much has changed since then I can only shake my head in disbelief. All the hope I held onto when completing the book is wavering.

Red wolves are globally endangered, and though a captive population exists in some 40-plus breeding facilities across the U.S., the planet&#8217;s only wild red wolves, a mere 90 or so, inhabit 1.7 million acres on a spit of coastal swamp and forest known as the Albemarle Peninsula. The first reintroduced red wolves were released into Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge on September 14, 1987. Nearly 27 years later, the FWS appears to be coming under intense pressure from anti-wolf advocates to shut down the red wolf program entirely.

On Friday, August 29, the FWS Southeast Regional Office issued a press release announcing the beginning of a 60-day review of the program and asking for public input. There&#8217;s information at the bottom of this post about how to submit comments. But first, there are a few importat things to note about what&#8217;s happened, and what hasn&#8217;t&#8230; taken together, something very fishy is brewing on the horizon:

1. The FWS issued this press release &#8212; perhaps the most important red wolf program press releases ever &#8212; on the Friday before Labor Day. In other words, they dumped the news in such a way as to ensure few media outlets might pick up on it right away&#8230; it&#8217;s the best strategy in the world to let the information land with a soft poof and not make many waves until after the Labor Day weekend had passed &#8212; that is, if reporters even find the release in their inboxes by then.

2. The release stated a very short window of time for people to submit comments: a mere two weeks. Comments will be closed on Sept. 12. (I can&#8217;t help but dwell on the irony of that date, as it falls so close to the 27th anniversary of the red wolf program.) When the FWS last held a 5-year review of the red wolf program in 2005, they allowed two months for comments &#8212; this time, they&#8217;re only allowing two weeks for comments, three days of which are consumed by a national Holiday!

3. The program review is being conducted by a third party, the Wildlife Management Institute. Never having heard of this organization before I googled them only to discover their Board is composed primarily of people working in sportsmen&#8217;s organizations: the Boone and Crocket Club, Pheasants Forever, ATK Security and Shooting, and Pheasants Forever. Really? This is the crew who will decide the fate of the red wolf program? A sportsmen&#8217;s wildlife management group? By awarding the contract to WMI, it appears the FWS is all but signaling its desire to cut the red wolf program off at the knees.

4. The FWS has yet to publish in the Federal Register the initiation of a program review, or their solicitation of public comments. I&#8217;m fairly sure this may be an illegal avenue to holding a review at all: their regulations require the announcement to be published in the Federal Register.

5. Nor has the FWS published in the Federal Register the two planned open houses in northeastern North Carolina, where they have announced (in the press release) that the public is welcome to offer comments on the red wolf program.

Call me cynical, but something smells awfully rotten here. Combined, all of these elements reek that the SE Regional Office is harboring intentions of either significantly changing the red wolf program or perhaps eliminating it all together.

Last edited:

odie408

Ten Pointer
Well, call me cynical too. It smelled pretty rotten here 27's year ago when the red dog project started illegally releasing red dogs on private land!

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
3. The program review is being conducted by a third party, the Wildlife Management Institute. Never having heard of this organization before I googled them only to discover their Board is composed primarily of people working in sportsmen&#8217;s organizations: the Boone and Crocket Club, Pheasants Forever, ATK Security and Shooting, and Pheasants Forever. Really? This is the crew who will decide the fate of the red wolf program? A sportsmen&#8217;s wildlife management group? By awarding the contract to WMI, it appears the FWS is all but signaling its desire to cut the red wolf program off at the knees.

Never heard of the WMI. Made me think this author has no wildlife biology educational background.

Last edited:

odie408

Ten Pointer

Never heard of the WMI. Made me think this author has no wildlife biology educational background.

He might have a degree and be smart enough to see the program wont work with coyotes now completely out of controll and a 24% red wolf!

Take 'em

Six Pointer
And we're to believe that the local red wolf biologists with FWS doing their own survey and review would be able to equitably review a program they are in charge of managing. Sounds sort of like the fox guarding the hen house to me. Absolutely they need an unaffiliated group to do such a review. I think Beeland is pretty sure that since those managing red wolves can't fudge the results this time the result will be to shut down this hybrid swarm before further damage is done.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
T. Delene Beeland, Red Wolf Coilition Board Member... &quot;Spills the Beans&quot;...

Wolf_with_Caribou_Hindquarter.jpg

Delene Beeland
on
"Locals"

"The Secret World of Red Wolves"
Delene Beeland, Author's "Quotes"

"For the program (Red Wolf Recovery) to work, the local people must be on board."(Beeland) (pg 80)

"In the beginning, the Fish and Wildlife Service told people that the wolves would not eat deer. It was a partial truth &#8211; but also partial lie." (Beeland) (pg 82)

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
&quot;Red Wolf Needs Help&quot; From SELC President, Derb Carter 9/1/2014 9:57am

"Red Wolf Needs Help" From SELC President, Derb Carter

Subject: Red Wolf needs help
Date: Mon Sep 1 2014 9:57 am

"This is not specifically about birds, but if you are like me while birding in the red wolf recovery area in eastern North Carolina you are always alert to the rare chance of seeing an endangered wolf in the wild. I have been lucky about 6-7 times, including seeing one of the first two in 1986 after it had been extinct in the wild for many years.

The good news is after restrictions on coyote hunting in the area, particularly the elimination of night hunting, no wolves have been killed by gunshot. The biggest threat to the continued existence of the red wolf in the wild now might be the US Fish & Wildlife Service. The Service has initiated a 60 day "review" to decide whether to terminate the red wolf reintroduction program, which it previously has described as one of the most successful endangered species reintroduction programs ever. This has all been initiated from FWS leadership in Washington, cutting out the dedicated biologists in FWS many of whom have devoted substantial parts of their careers to recovering the red wolf.

Instead FWS has hired an outside contractor with the Wildlife Management Institute to coordinate the review. He is available to work on this because last year he resigned as head of the Kentucky fish and game agency, pleading guilty to numerous ethics law violations. It is our state wildlife agency that is behind this. Yes, that is the agency that asks you to check the box on your tax form every year to send them money for nongame and endangered wildlife.

What can you do? The agencies have made it difficult for,the public to participate in this so called review, but here is how you can.

Send an email to redwolfreview at fws.gov with your comments to the Fish and Wildlife Service. This is probably the most important thing you can do. They have allowed only two weeks for the public to comment and all comments must be submitted by September 12.

Two public hearings are scheduled, the first in Swanquarter at 7 pm on September 10 and the second in Colombia at 7 on September 11. The notice says members of the public speaking will be asked questions by other members of the public. If you attend, do not be intimidated by this tactic and say what you want to say and respectfully decline to take questions, as is your right.

My first legal job was as a lawyer in Washington representing the Fish & Wildlife Service. In over 30 years of doing this work I have never been so disappointed in the leadership of the Service and the way they are handling this".

Derb Carter

Source - See more at: http://birding.aba.org/mobiledigest/NzC#759521

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Jacob from "Peru" takes "Survey" from "United States" Fish and Wildlife Service...

Jacob from Iquitos, "Peru" takes "Survey" from "United States" Fish and Wildlife Service…

Subject: re: Red Wolf
Date: Mon Sep 1 2014 18:24 pm

Hi all,
It's nice to be able to take a survey, but please heed Derb's advice. The
most impactful thing to do is to send in an originally worded comment,
which Derb kindly informs us can be sent to redwolfreview at fws.gov

Make it abundantly clear (perhaps in the subject line) that the message is
in support of the recovery program.

Cheers from Iquitos, Peru
Jacob

Source - http://birding.aba.org/mobiledigest/NzC#759897

Jett

Ten Pointer
-----Original Message-----
To: leopoldo_miranda <leopoldo_miranda@fws.gov>; cynthia_dohner <cynthia_dohner@fws.gov>; d_m_ashe <d_m_ashe@fws.gov>; redwolfreview <redwolfreview@fws.gov>; redwolfreview <redwolfreview@fws.gov>; Secretary_jewell <Secretary_jewell@ios.doi.gov>
Sent: Sat, Aug 30, 2014 8:30 am
Subject: I want your wolves gone

Leo,

These wolves are collared and are supposed to be monitored and returned to captivity/refuge as required by the ESA rules. Why has USFWS not contacted me to immediately capture these wolves and return them to captivity/refuge as promised in the 1986/1995 rules governing these nonessential-experimental wolves? I believe I have made it clear that I do not want your wolves on my private property.

Apparently USFWS has no intention of monitoring their wolf population and returning them to captivity/refuge as required by the ESA rules. If USFWS cannot meet its obligations to the private landowners in eastern NC, this entire program needs to be shut down. You do not have the right to violate the law.

USFWS has done worse than "abandon" their efforts to capture these wolves. They have made NO efforts to monitor and capture these wolves as required. Or are your biologists knowingly allowing these wolves to inhabit my private property? Worse yet, did your biologist illegally release these wolves on my private land as they have done throughout Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell, Washington, and Beaufort counties on other private land? My recent FOIA request revealed almost 50% of your red wolf releases were illegal releases on private land after USFWS promised the public to release only on refuge land and also to return all dispersing wolves to the refuge.

You know I do not want to harm your wolves, but after I trapped them and gave them back to you in February and your biologists simply turned them back out on nearby land, I must do something to protect the depleted wildlife population on my farm.

You should have my take permit request in your office. I need this permit now.

Thanks,
Jett

attachment.php

great 8:30 pic.jpg

attachment.php

good 8:30 woof pic.jpg

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
USFWS Snubs Private Landowner Requests to Remove Illegal Wolves as Legally Required

attachment.php

ART.jpg

Fwd: Response from USFWS
To: gordon.myers <gordon.myers@ncwildlife.org>; leopoldo_miranda <leopoldo_miranda@fws.gov>; jgassett <jgassett@wildlifemgt.org>; cynthia_dohner <cynthia_dohner@fws.gov>; d_m_ashe <d_m_ashe@fws.gov>; redwolfreview <redwolfreview@fws.gov>; mbulleri <mbulleri@ncdoj.gov>; plm1 >; kieran <kieran@shanahanlawgroup.com>; Secretary_jewell <Secretary_jewell@ios.doi.gov>

-----Original Message-----
To: jettferebee <jettferebee@aol.com>
Sent: Tue, Sep 2, 2014 9:49 am
Subject: Response from USFWS

Jett,

I wanted you to have a copy of the response letter that all of the

landowners are now receiving from USFWS due to our request to have them

removed from the property. The request is for "documentation" that the

wolves are on the property along with additional information about the size

and location of the property. If we do not respond in two weeks, FWS will

"close" the request to remove the wolves.

While I intend to respond to the letter, I am sure that most landowners will

not follow through, especially given an minimal two weeks to respond. In my

opinion, this attempt at stonewalling is not legal. There is nothing in the

directives of the program that we have to supply proof that the wolves are

on the property or that they are in any way creating a problem. The issue

is that we do not want the wolves and USFWS agreed to remove them at the

request of the landowner. Moreover, because the animals tend to be mostly

nocturnal, it is difficult to document their presence other than with tracks

on the property which are indistinguishable from other canines like dogs and

coyotes. I have seen them on our property in the daytime but the occurrence

in infrequent, and I do not normally have a camera in hand when they are

seen. I tend mostly to hear them at night or in the early morning before

sunrise.

I can assure you, that I am concerned enough with the presence of the wolves

that I do not want my 11 year old son or my wife's grandchildren outside

very far from view. My wife and I walk in the evenings when the weather is

nice but we never do so unless armed. The fact that these wolves continue

to receive veterinary care and are sometimes hand fed has caused them to

become less fearful of humans in general, and children and pets are not safe

in their own yards. At this point the wolf program is inhibiting a

landowner's fair use of his own property.

Use this email and the attached letter as you see fit to demonstrate the

USFWS's unwillingness to comply with federal directives governing this

program. I will send you a copy of the my response to this letter and will

welcome your thoughts as to how to best respond.

Thank you for your diligence in pursuing this for all of eastern NC.

Eric

Gordon,
Will you please call me today as soon as possible in reference to my formal request made at the Commissioner's meeting last Wednesday.
252 714 2774

Leo,
This ridiculous game can be played both ways. Your biologists have been sitting on landowner removal requests since last summer. How about we give USFWS two weeks to remove all their wolves from our private property. At that point you should then issue a take permit to the 300+ landowners in these five counties who have requested for your wolves to be removed from their private property as USFWS agreed to in the 1995 rules revision.

This has been such a one way street for so long, even Art does not comprehend or refuses to acknowledge the USFWS agreement with our State and the private landowners in Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell, Washington and Beaufort counties.

USFWS was given authorization to release wolves on their refuge only! They committed to collar and monitor all wolves and return them to the refuge if they wandered off.

I have now documented that USFWS illegally released wolves on private land throughout eastern NC. In fact almost 50% of the wolf releases in eastern NC occurred illegally on private land. See the chart below. Your own records show that 90% of all USFWS wolves now reside on private land.

You guys have a major problem and you need to fix it now! USFWS continuing to run over private landowners in eastern NC will never serve the Service well now or in the future.

Please contact me as soon as possible.
252 714 2774

Thanks,
Jett Ferebee

From the ESA Rules regarding the nonessential-experimental population of wolves in eastern NC:

"It is anticipated that, because of the size and habitat characteristics of the reintroduction area, animals will remain within the boundaries of the refuge and adjacent military lands. The public will be instructed to immediately report any observation of a red wolf off Federal lands to the refuge manager. The Service will then take appropriate actions to recapture and return the animal to the refuge".

"The Service will make every effort to keep red wolves on the refuge, but if an animal leaves the refuge / bombing range area, the Service intends to capture it and return it to captivity"

"The Service currently plans to limit releases to no more than 12 animals"

"Take of animals by the public will be discouraged by an extensive information and education program and by the assurance that all introduced animals will be radio-collared and, thus easy to locate if they leave the refuge. The public will be encouraged to cooperate with the Service in attempts to maintain the animals on the release site".

- 64 wolves, almost half of the total releases, were then illegally released on private land (remember "The Service will make every effort to keep red wolves on the refuge"). Released on private land? Where was this in the deal? Obviously there are two "Services". One that tells us what we want to hear and another one that does whatever they so desire. How did this happen in a program to be managed on Federal lands? Was it done legally? What authority did USFWS have to release wolves outside of the refuge system on private land?

SPECIES ID # BIRTH DATE BL RELEASE DATE COUNTY LAND OWNERSHIP

WOLF 10304 06-May-86 C 17-Sep-90 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10327 12-May-87 C 17-Sep-90 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10397 09-Apr-90 C 17-Sep-90 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10398 09-Apr-90 C 17-Sep-90 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10399 09-Apr-90 C 17-Sep-90 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10426 02-May-90 C 03-Oct-90 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 10427 02-May-90 C 03-Oct-90 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 10430 02-May-90 C 03-Oct-90 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 10464 26-Apr-91 C 23-Aug-91 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10382 14-May-89 I 03-Aug-92 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 10517 14-Apr-92 C 03-Aug-92 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10518 14-Apr-92 C 03-Aug-92 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10519 14-Apr-92 C 03-Aug-92 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10523 14-Apr-92 C 03-Aug-92 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 10408 10-Apr-90 C 23-Aug-93 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10586 18-Apr-93 C 23-Aug-93 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10587 18-Apr-93 C 23-Aug-93 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10588 18-Apr-93 C 23-Aug-93 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10589 18-Apr-93 C 23-Aug-93 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10590 18-Apr-93 C 23-Aug-93 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10591 18-Apr-93 C 23-Aug-93 DARE PRIVATE
WOLF 10383 14-May-89 I 15-Sep-93 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10445 24-Apr-91 C 15-Sep-93 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10633 02-May-93 C 15-Sep-93 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10634 02-May-93 C 15-Sep-93 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10448 24-Apr-91 C 02-Feb-94 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10465 26-Apr-91 C 02-Feb-94 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10593 18-Apr-93 S 06-Apr-95 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 10771 10-May-94 I 27-Jan-99 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 11088 15-Apr-00 C 26-May-00 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11061 26-Apr-00 C 02-Jun-00 WASHINGTON PRIVATE
WOLF 11062 26-Apr-00 C 02-Jun-00 WASHINGTON PRIVATE
WOLF 11063 26-Apr-00 C 02-Jun-00 WASHINGTON PRIVATE
WOLF 11064 26-Apr-00 C 02-Jun-00 WASHINGTON PRIVATE
WOLF 11076 26-Apr-00 C 02-Jun-00 WASHINGTON PRIVATE
WOLF 11077 26-Apr-00 C 02-Jun-00 WASHINGTON PRIVATE
WOLF 11078 26-Apr-00 C 02-Jun-00 WASHINGTON PRIVATE
WOLF 10982 01-May-98 I 29-Sep-00 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 11053 01-May-98 I 04-Oct-00 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 11165 01-May-01 I 21-Jan-03 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 11356 01-May-04 I 28-Sep-05 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 11463 01-May-05 I 28-Oct-06 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11547 01-May-05 I 01-Nov-06 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 11658 01-May-07 I 04-Aug-08 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11727 01-May-08 I 13-Apr-09 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 11199 4/21/02 C 5/5/02 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11202 4/21/02 C 5/5/02 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11357 4/17/04 I 5/4/04 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11358 4/17/04 I 5/5/04 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11466 5/1/06 C 5/15/06 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11469 5/1/06 C 5/15/06 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11470 5/1/06 C 5/15/06 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11471 5/1/06 C 5/15/06 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11578 4/15/07 C 4/25/07 BEAUFORT PRIVATE
WOLF 11579 4/15/07 C 4/25/07 BEAUFORT PRIVATE
WOLF 11737 4/24/09 C 5/1/09 HYDE PRIVATE
WOLF 11739 4/24/09 C 5/1/09 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11740 4/24/09 C 5/1/09 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11741 4/24/09 C 5/1/09 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11788 4/17/10 C 4/30/10 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11796 4/17/10 C 4/30/10 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11911 4/20/12 C 4/27/12 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11912 4/20/12 C 4/27/12 TYRRELL PRIVATE
WOLF 11993 4/21/13 C 5/1/13 TYRRELL PRIVATE

For the full story:
http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?95624-quot-Red-Wolf-quot-restoration-scandal

Last edited:

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
"Red Wolf Needs Help" From SELC President, Derb Carter

Subject: Red Wolf needs help
Date: Mon Sep 1 2014 9:57 am

The good news is after restrictions on coyote hunting in the area, particularly the elimination of night hunting, no wolves have been killed by gunshot.

Derb Carter

The absolute foolishness of this statement is astounding. There has been no other open seasons for the use of guns since the implementation of the injunction. Most hunters do not target coyotes, although some of us in the hunting guide business will. Most of the things are shot as an incidental kill during other legal seasons that allow for gun use due to them being an invasive species. I'd also challenge these people to prove that there was ever a "red wolf" shot mistakenly during a night coyote hunt in the 5 county area impacted by this injunction. Another interesting question about the accidental "red wolf" gunshot kills would be the ratio of kills on private vs federal lands. Good questions for the meetings in September......

><>

BR549

Twelve Pointer
A Full Circle View, on ARNWR & "Where" 90% of "Illegal" Released Wolves Reside…

Red Wolf "Introduction" Area History… The "Full Circle" View… from the "Eyes" of "Commercial Farmers"...

1) Early 1980's Derb Carter files lawsuits to halt "Corporate Farmers" in what would become known as Red Wolf Recovery Area

2) 1984, Derb and his client agree to drop the lawsuit against the Prudential Insurance Company in exchange for Prudential agreeing to donate the land becoming what we now know as Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge.

3) 1987 the 76% Non-Essensial Experimental "Introduction" of Hybrid Coy-Wolves begins on Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge

4) 1990 USFWS began "Illegally" Releasing (FOIA Documented) Wolves on "Private Lands"

5) 2013 "90% of all Wolves reside on Private Land" (Private / Corporate Farmers Land) not Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge...

= Full Circle… Article below outlining this interesting history...

DERB CARTER, interviewed by Glenn Blackburn on August 14, 2009. (excerpt below)

In the early 1980s, North Carolina was experiencing a lot of loss of wetlands,
particularly in the Pamlico peninsula region. Large corporate farming operations had
taken over much of the northern part of the peninsula, and a peat mining operation spread
across much of the southern part of the peninsula. The new Coastal Federation engaged
Derb to file lawsuits to stop both of these operations, the underlying issues being that
drainage from the farming and peat mining operations was destroying wetlands and
polluting rivers and sounds. John Runkle also did some legal work on these issues. Derb
said that Todd spent a lot of time driving his truck around fishing villages alerting the
fishers to the threat from the peat mining and corporate farming operations.

Derb said that the turning point was a public hearing at Lake Mattamuskeet High
School. With the encouragement of the Federation between five and six hundred people
(mostly fishers) attended this hearing, and the state regulators were impressed. They got
the message that a lot of people cared about wetlands loss and pollution of coastal waters.
Thus, the Federation began to get a reputation for being able to turn out people for
hearings.

In the end, both the corporate farming and the peat mining operations were stopped.
In 1984, the Federation agreed to drop a lawsuit against the Prudential Insurance
Company, the financial backer of the corporate farming operation, when Prudential said it
would donate all the land to what became the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge.
Much of the land involved in the peat mining operation eventually ended up in the
Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge. The Alligator River Refuge was established in
the mid-1980s and the Pocosin Lakes Refuge in the late 1980s. Both of the Refuges
resulted from the resistance of the Federation to the corporate farming and peat mining
operations.

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
USFWS "Begs" Hundreds of Private Land Owners to help Locate "Lost Wolves" in Writing

attachment.php

USFWS can't track their "Illegally" Released Wolves due to a "Grounded Aircraft, 37 Weeks Ago"!!

Yes, the last flight of N132PS was LAST YEAR!!

Red Wolf Field Coordinator sends the above letter to "Hundreds" of "Private Landowners" outside of their Federal Land this week requesting help in "Locating" Millions of Dollars worth of their "Lost Wolves"!!

Likely due to the Illegal Release Site is their "Last Know Address"!!!!!!!!!!!

N132PS
U S DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR · BOISE ID (registration)

Richmond Executive-Chesterfield County (KFCI – info) Richmond, VA
Dare County Rgnl (KMQI – info) Manteo, NC
03:13PM EST
04:06PM EST
Scheduled: 03:15PM EST
Scheduled: 04:07PM EST
Duration: 53 minutes

Sunday, December 15, 2013 (LAST DOCUMENTED FLIGHT)

Status Landed 37 weeks ago. (track log & graph)

Aircraft Cessna 206 Stationair (piston-single) (C206/G – photos)
Speed Filed: 140 kts (graph)
Altitude Filed: 6,000 feet (graph)
Distance Direct: 145 sm Planned: 146 sm Flown: 150 sm
Route ECG333011 EARNY (Decode)

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2013

Management Techniques: 2013 Wolf Capture and Processing

Currently, the field biologists of the Red Wolf Recovery Program are spending many hours trapping wild red wolves. It’s the time of year when efforts are focused on capturing pups from last season in order to assess their health and fit them for a radio-telemetry collar to ensure future monitoring.

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2013

Views from telemetry flights

Currently the Red Wolf Recovery Program is monitoring ~65 red wild wolves and ~50 sterile coyotes in the field. To track these radio-collared individuals, we use both aerial and ground telemetry techniques. Telemetry flights are typically performed 2-3 times/week weather-permitting. These efforts allow us to identify where collared animals are (and who they're with) on the landscape.

Our field coordinator, Art, snapped a few interesting photos last month during flights:

Photo 1) shows the congregation of migratory tundra swans (Cygnus columbianus) on Pungo Lake (Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge) for the winter. At some points during the season, this lake and surrounding area (including Lake Mattamuskett) serves as vital feeding areas for 30,000+ swans.

Photo 2) shows an adult male wolf (shown in red square) resting near a white-tailed deer kill (shown in red circle). These are tricky to see, but go to show how vigilant and alert the wolf biologists are to monitor from the air!

Copy+of+aerial_photo_wolf_Art.JPG

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N132PS

http://trackthepack.blogspot.com/2013/02/views-from-telemetry-flights.html

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Congressman Walter B. Jones is &quot;Called Out&quot; today in the Washington Daily News

WJones_780.jpg

Congressman Walter B. Jones "Called Out" by the Washington Daily News for his Recent "$5,000.00" Check from HSUS...

COLUMN: Humane Society&#8217;s stand on hunting questioned

Published 1:32pm Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Several years ago I was attending the annual conference of the Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA). The keynote speaker was a young Wayne Pacelle, representing the Humane Society Of The United States (HSUS). It was a bit unusual for our group of mostly hunters and fishermen to have hired a very active animal rightist to speak to us, but the group of mostly &#8220;hook and bullet&#8221; outdoor writers attentively listened to Mr. Pacelle, which surprised me even more.

&#8220;If I could stop all sport hunting today, I&#8217;d do it,&#8221; he said. The writers may not have agreed with his view on hunting, but they respectfully listened to his words and took it to heart. Mr. Pacelle and the HSUS was a foe to be reckoned with. Make no mistake about it, HSUS is highly opposed to hunting and fishing and will do everything in their power to halt both of these outdoor sports.

Pacelle and the HSUS came to the attention of a lot of North Carolina hunters several months ago when Greenville businessman, farmer and conservationist Jett Ferebee called the office of Congressman Walter Jones and requested a meeting with our regarding the red wolf situation here in North Carolina. Time and time again, Congressman Jones refused to meet with Mr. Ferebee on the red wolf issues.

It came as no surprise that Congressman Jones was very much in favor of the red wolf introduction (not RE-introduction) here in the eastern part of our state. He&#8217;s supported the project from the very beginning and even helped allocate federal funds for the project. The result was to have a very expensive Walter B. Jones, Jr. Center for the Sounds at the Pocosin Lake National Wildlife Refuge built just off Highway 64 in Columbia. The well-intended center is a tribute to the red wolves and Walter B. Jones.

It&#8217;s interesting that Congressman Jones refuses to even listen to what Mr. Ferebee had to say about the problems that he recently uncovered within the red wolf project. These problems have been described as being scandalous and have involved not only accusations of mishandling of federal funds, but also sloppy administrative handling of the entire project.

When Federal Judge Terrence Boyle recently placed a temporary ban on the hunting of coyotes in the five-county area of eastern North Carolina where the red wolves roam, the hunters of North Carolina were upset to put it mildly. Renewed interest in having the entire red wolf program in eastern North Carolina done away with has emerged as a top priority in many areas of our state.

With national elections coming up soon, it came as no surprise that Congressman Jones found himself in a bit of trouble after refusing to even hear the voices of the opposition of the red wolf introduction project. This inability to listen to the &#8221;other side of the story&#8221; from Ferebee and the hunters of eastern North Carolina differs greatly from the courteous group of national outdoor writers some years ago, who listened to Pacelle and the HSUS organization. This one-sided view that Congressman Jones has shown to the outdoorsmen of our state comes as no surprise when it recently came to Ferebee&#8217;s attention that Congressman Jones has accepted a $5,000 campaign contribution from, you guessed it, the Humane Society of the United States &#8212; one of the strongest anti-hunting organizations in America.

I&#8217;m sure our hunters and fishermen will remember this on election day.

http://www.thewashingtondailynews.com/2014/09/02/column-humane-societys-stand-on-hunting-questioned/

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Congressman Walter Jones "Request" meeting with "Plaintiff" (above post) & Cancels "Twice" on a "Private Land Owner"!!

Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:45 PM
To: Bowlen, Joshua
Subject: Re: Today

Joshua,

I guess I do not understand being asked to participate in this meeting, then uninvited because the issue would not be discussed. Now I am told it was in fact discussed. Twice now, I have been promised meetings with Congressman Jones. Twice they have been cancelled. Does Congressman Jones want to only understand the USFWS side of this issue? I respectfully submit that he should listen to his constituents who are adversely impacted by the Red Wolf program. For the third time, I will ask for a meeting with Congressman Jones about the Red Wolf program. I can meet in DC or Farmville. It does not matter.

Thanks

Jett Ferebee

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The Washington Daily News link above now mysteriously displays "page not found"......... Wonder if one is attempting to "Squelch" this "Red Wolf Restoration Scandal"??

Tags, Congressman Walter B Jones, Water Jones, Congressman Jones, Joey Hinton, Doc Hastings, House Committee on Natural Resources, Congress, Congressman Doc Hastings, ESA Oversight, Sue and Settle, Sue & Settle, T. Delaene Beeland, The Secret World of Red Wolves, Cornelia N. Hutt, Cornelia Hutt, Red Wolf Coalition, FOX, FOX News, ABC, ABC News, NBC, NBC News, WRAL, WRAL News, Raleigh, Charlotte, Sean Hannity, Bill Oreilly, Bill O'Reilly, The Factor, Megan Kelly, Greta Van Susteren, N&O, News and Observer, Bob Pendergrass, Dan Nicholas Park, Kim Wheeler, Red Wolf Coalition, David Rabon, RWC Board Member, USFWS, Red Wolf, Hybridization, International Wolf Center, Rob Schultz, Nina Fascione, Defenders of Wildlife, ESA, Endangered Species Act, Nonessential Experimental Population, North Carolina, Alligator River Wildlife Refuge, Red Wolf Coordinator, Section 10(j), 5 - Year Summary, Captive Breeding, Reintroduction Area, Coyote, Coywolf, Coywolfs, Coy-wolf, Coywolfs, Predator Control, Service, Take Permit, Adaptive Management, Sterilization, Federal Game Lands, Fish and Wildlife Service, Animal Welfare Institute, Lawsuit, NCWRC, North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission, Depredation, 5 County Red Wolf Recovery Area, Hyde County, Beaufort County, Tyrrell County, Dare County, Washington County, Red Wolf Recovery Program, Reward, PHVA 1999, George Amato, Mike Chamberlain, Jennifer Gilbreath, Ed Bangs, Brian Cole, Karen Goodrowe, Karen Beck, Gloria Bell, Dave Flemming, Jack Grisham, Art Beyer, Randy Fulk, Mary Hagedorn, Mike Bryant, Todd Fuller, Phil Hedrick, Onnie Byers, Eric Gese, Gary Henry, Brian Kelly, Phil Miller, John Theberge, Fred Knowlton, Michael Morse, Mary Thebarge, Sue Lindsey, Dennis Murray, Kathy Traylor-Holzer, Chris Lucash, Ron Nowak, Will Waddell, Ford Mauney, Mike Phillips, Bob Wayne, Dave Mech, Ulysses Seal, Kathy Whidbee, Scott McLellan, Doug Smith, Aubrey White, Michael Stoskopf, Paul Wilson, Dan Ashe, Sally Jewell, Department of the Interior, Red Wolf Study, Peer Review, Peer Reviewed, Howlings, Columbia NC, Columbia

Here is a link to the cached article on Google!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...hunting-questioned/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

BR549

Twelve Pointer
&quot;Bankrupt&quot;?? Congressman Walter B. Jones Center for the Sounds is Closed on Labor Day

Closed on Labor Day???

Is, Congressman Walter B. Jones Center for the Sounds "Bankrupt"??? Why and the goodness given all the documented "EcoTourism" studies and millions of dollars of projected revenue would Congressman Jones allow his "Center" to be "SHUT DOWN" on "Labor Day"??

These photos document a visit at 3:20 Pm on Labor Day 2014!! Yes, no Red Wolf "T-Shirts", no "Gift Shop" it was all "Shut Down"!! They are begging for Volunteers however if you know someone interested in booking "Caged Wolf Howling Safaris" perhaps&#8230;

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Gift Shop.jpg
Bear.jpg
Volenterrs.jpg

Last edited:

Take 'em

Six Pointer
Maybe Jacob from Iquitos, Peru will volunteer along with all those folks from Europe who wrote in to NCWRC in behalf of red wolves. Well, maybe they were only writing in behalf of the 24% that is wolf. On the other hand they would probably be just as satisfied with the 76% that is coyote as long as they can have that giddy feeling that they are making a difference in saving the animal kingdom. Not sure what they might think if they actually had to see a 24/76 tear a fawn or grown deer to pieces or watch one devour someone's pet cat or dog. These people live in Fantasy Land for the most part.

Jett

Ten Pointer
Here's Your Answer Mike!

Another interesting question about the accidental "red wolf" gunshot kills would be the ratio of kills on private vs federal lands. Good questions for the meetings in September......

><>

USFWS is Responsible for 93.75% of the Suspected Illegal Wolf Kills in NC!

To: redwolfreview <redwolfreview@fws.gov>
Cc: leopoldo_miranda <leopoldo_miranda@fws.gov>; cynthia_dohner <cynthia_dohner@fws.gov>; d_m_ashe <d_m_ashe@fws.gov>; gordon.myers <gordon.myers@ncwildlife.org>; mbulleri <mbulleri@ncdoj.gov>; kieran <kieran@shanahanlawgroup.com>; jgassett <jgassett@wildlifemgt.org>; Secretary_jewell <Secretary_jewell@ios.doi.gov>
Date: Thu, Sep 4, 2014 2:57 pm

mortality_table.pdf

Gentlemen,

60 out of 64 wolves or 93.75% of all wolves killed by gun shot or poison in eastern NC were killed on private land, where USFWS assured our NC citizens the wolves would not be!

Please see the attached mortality table for the last 11 years.

This is why it is so important for USFWS to immediately trap their wolves and return them to the refuge or captivity as they promised in their 1986 and 1995 ESA Rules for this nonessential-experimental population in eastern NC.

Now, how much time and money has been wasted on this frivolous farce of a law suit by SELC to ban coyote hunting on private land in eastern NC?

The matter of protecting the wolf lies squarely with USFWS and is easily remedied by demanding the promised protective action by the USFWS:

"The Service will make every effort to keep red wolves on the refuge, but if an animal leaves the refuge / bombing range area, the Service intends to capture it and return it to captivity"

Well over 300 landowners in the recovery area have demanded in the last 60 days for USFWS to remove the illegally stocked wolves from their private land. To date, nothing has been done by USFWS, but stall and delay. Even after it was exposed via FOIA requests, that almost 50% of the red wolf releases by USFWS occurred on private land. USFWS had no legal authority to stock an endangered species on private land in NC.

Do you guys really not see some sort of correlation here???????
Or shall we just continue this charade at tax payer and wolf expense...

Save a wolf. Make the Feds obey their very own laws.

Jett Ferebee
252 714 2774

Status
Not open for further replies.