"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I am glad that this issue is gaining momentum and am grateful to Jett and others like him for fighting for landowners right in a constructive manner. FWIW I think a strict policy of SSS is in order.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
PHOEBE JUDGE: But you feel that the expanded hunting privileges on coyotes can only have a detrimental affect to the red wolf population.

KIM WHEELER: I do, I do believe. You know hunting is the number one cause of red wolf mortality. Last week we had two wolves killed, one on Monday one on Wednesday. Something has to give and that again in my perfect world would be to not have any hunting in that five county recovery area.

Kim you are a POS liar.

KimWheeler

My entire conversation was not broadcasted as it was not a live interview.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
IMO the red wolf can be a true species. Note I said can be but right now it looks pretty doubtful if what we have is a true species. It is evident that many of the so called "red wolves" in the restoration program are in fact not true species but have been cross bred with coyotes to the point that in the wild it is highly doubtful if the true species remains a true species. Granted there may still be some true species in captivity and controlled situations but with the ever growing coyote population it is my opinion that regardless of the efforts and huge sums of money invested/ingested into the program it will be impossible to maintain a true species outside of captivity.

Which is the elephant in the room that the Feds have ignored since coyotes saturated the "recovery area". The coyote is here to stay. The so called red wolf is already part coyote and breeding with coyotes. The Red Wolf program is compromised. The Feds are just fighting for money. Extortion of our wildlife is pathetic...

Jett

Ten Pointer
http://compassnews360.com/node/2014/02/20/landowner-gets-first-ever-permit-to-kill-a-red-wolf/

This is good, but I do not want to use the permit. The goal is for USFWS to trap any remaining nonhybridized wolves and relocate them to a place where they are safe from interbreeding with coyotes. This was the critical success factor for the program, which no longer exists. USFWS trapped and relocated these wolves to save them from hybridization three previous times - in Texas, Tennessee and western NC. It is time our representatives insist this action be taken once again to protect this animal from extinction in the wild as happened in Texas. If Judge Boyle bans coyote hunting on the Albemarle peninsula, we will have two top predators fully protected while they multiply, hybridize, and destroy the wildlife resources of our state. Amazing...

Jett

Ten Pointer
Letter to Leo Miranda USFWS

Date: Wed, Feb 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Leo,

Today, we caught canine #14 in less than 4 weeks on my farm. Several collared and uncollared animals are still showing up on my cameras. Can you tell me the disposition of all the wolves that I have trapped and turned over to USFWS? I do not want to be part of the same revolving door of years past. Can you also tell me the disposition of any coyotes your staff trapped this past spring/summer?

From my counts, we have caught 5 collared wolves and one collared animal that was never identified or returned, so I will assume that was a wolf. So 6 wolves (from a farm declared by USFWS on 12/24/13 to have NO wolves) and 8 uncollared (unsterilized) canines that look to be hybrids or coyotes. I assume you are collaring all sterilized coyotes and hybrids.

With this number of unsterilized coyotes or hybrids living on the same farm as 6 wolves, how can anyone claim that the USFWS's "adaptive management plan" to sterilize the coyote population in these 5 counties is a success or could even be possible? Do you really think these 6 wolves were not breeding with the 8 hybrids/coyotes? With a better than 1 to 1 ratio of unsterilized coyotes to wolves, as I found, placeholder theory and adaptive management as touted by the SELC attorneys and USFWS biologists fails miserably. I would love to see the budget that can sterilize the coyote population across 1.7 million acres and maintain it. This only remaining management tool for saving the red wolf from hybridization is a complete farce. Simple enough.

In short order, I have proven USFWS does not know where or how many wolves inhabit these five counties. I have now proven the sterilization of coyotes on 1.7 million acres is an impossibility. What percent of the total coyote population in the 5 county area does USFWS's 60 sterile coyotes represent?

Leo, in the best interest of the red wolf, why not relocate them as USFWS has previously carried out three times. Trap the remaining "pure" red wolves as was done in Texas, Tennessee and western NC and find a different coyote free location in order to save them. This may be an Island or unfortunately it may be the safety of captivity. With the amount of introgression into the gene pool that is now occurring, the wolves are doomed to repeat their ill fated history here and at a cost that is much greater than the purity of the wolves. I will help and provide a pretty good trapper.

After what was done to me and my family as a result of the recent newspaper articles by the pro wolf cult activists, I understand the pressure you are under. It is a shame and embarrassment that threats, suits, intimidation and coercion by these people are playing a role in the continuation of this foolish "nonessential" science experiment in our State. I have quickly learned that the pro wolf movement is an international movement with few, if any, true stakeholders from North Carolina. They also have no respect for the law.

Your willingness to issue a take permit to me as required by the law was a bold move and I thank you. This action, while upsetting to the vocal minority that puts their desires above the law, should serve USFWS well as it moves forward with future recovery efforts. You have now shown a willingness to work with private landowners, which is vital when so many endangered animals live on private property.

I truly believe the best interests of all parties were served. Now the best course for the red wolf program can move forward without this legal cloud over it. Science and wildlife management can be the issues, not USFWS’s unwillingness to abide by the ESA rules. I sincerely hope I never have to use that permit and will try not to. I just need to save my farm. You are a credit to the USFWS and I hope that is recognized. They need more men like you.

Thanks,

Jett

BR549

Twelve Pointer
My entire conversation was not broadcasted as it was not a live interview.

Lawsuit

Ms. Wheeler - I took some time last night to review the suit the Red Wolf Coilition is party to against the NC Wildlife Commission. The RWC is seeking a Tempoary Injunction in Federal Court to stop the lawful take of Coyotes in the 5 county recovery area.

My question is the suit the RWC has filed seems to impede the efforts of the USFWS based on their current Adaptive Management Plan (link below). http://www.apnep.org/c/document_lib...e22-a085-4c66-bd5a-a09feed5db70&groupId=61563

Specifically the USFWS's plan refers to 3 Zones. On page 16, refered to as; Zone 1, "Coyote Free Zone", they (USFWS) are removing "All Non-Wolf Canids" from Zone 1. Zone 1 consist of "Both" Private and Federal land.

With the above being said, by not engaging (possibly restraining) the Private Landowner in the Reintroduction effort to assist the USFWS in its Coyote eradication efforts on their private land your lawsuit is 180 degrees from the current USFWS Red Wolf Adaptive Management Plan and will further promote the number one issue facing the program "Hybridization".

The RWC has failed to prove one Red Wolf mortality occurred at night, thus the night take of a Coyote by the aid of light is a non-issue based of this fact.

I would ask that you review the link above specifically pg 16 and after such review are you in agreement?

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
Fwd: wanna bet
To: dan_ashe <dan_ashe@fws.gov>; cynthia_dohner <cynthia_dohner@fws.gov>
Date: Mon, Feb 24, 2014 10:27 pm

This will make 19 canines trapped in less than 30 days off my farm that USFWS said on 12/24/13 had "no wolves".

-----Original Message-----
To: gordon.myers <gordon.myers@ncwildlife.org>; leopoldo_miranda <leopoldo_miranda@fws.gov>;
Sent: Mon, Feb 24, 2014 10:05 pm
Subject: wanna bet

I've got a Pepsi Cola that says I'm texting Chris to ID this woof tomorrow ;)

2:24 woof.jpg

Last edited:

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
Jett, that's a lot of critters in 30 days! To add to the frustration... each time these wolfs/coyotes engage a trap..they become educated and even harder to catch the next time around.
Keep doing what you're doing..the squeaky wheel gets oiled.

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
My 30 Day Trapping Results:

USFWS told me there were no wolves on my property and an accidental killing would not be considered a crime. Not wanting to kill a wolf or to have a judge determine if it was an accident, I decided to trap my farm with a private trapper. During the first 5 days of trapping, 3 wolves and 2 hybrids were caught on my farm that "had no wolves". It was at this point that USFWS realized they did not know where or how many wolves they had and found it necessary to grant the take permit because they were unable to remove the unwanted wolves. This is what the law said and this is what they did. Simple enough.

Over a 30 day trapping period in January and February, 18 canines were caught. Four were red wolves. 13 were hybrids/coyotes. One was unidentified. All canines were held until USFWS red wolf biologists could identify the animals with one exception. This one canine was a collared animal that was released by my trapper before the red wolf biologist could be reached by Leo Miranda of USFWS. The decision to release was made because the canine had entered a canal and we were concerned about hypothermia and did not want to injure what my trapper believed to be a red wolf. Pictures were taken and the red wolf biologist thinks that particular collared animal was a coyote. My trapper who saw the animal up close and in person still says it was a wolf.

Since there was no positive ID on this animal and it was released on site, let's ignore this animal. The numbers now look like this:

17 total canines trapped (18 if the unidentified animal is included)

4 red wolves (originally thought to be 6, but one was reduced as stated above and another was a collared coyote that USFWS did not return so we had assumed it was their wolf)

13 coyotes/hybrids (2 of which were collared canines)

76% (13/17) of the canine population trapped was coyote/hybrid

13 coyotes per 2,800 acres yields 7,893 coyotes across the 1.7 million recovery acres. I'm no biologist so my methodology may be far from perfect, but from a common sense perspective it may be some of the best and most current data out there.

The four red wolves along with 2 collared "placeholder sterile coyotes" were returned to the USFWS. So, in this "coyote free" recovery area and on my "no wolf" farm, we caught 4 wolves living amongst 13 coyotes. I chose to trap and return the wolves rather than use the take permit. Hair samples on the first several canines were taken and given to NCWRC for DNA analysis. The remaining samples should be sent out next week.

Placeholder theory is supposed to be the USFWS answer to hybridization as the sterile coyote "holds" a place until a wolf can fill it. Obviously someone forgot to explain this concept to the 2 "placeholder" coyotes who invited 11 of their friends to join them in cavorting with the wolves on my farm.

Place holder theory is a biologist's pipe dream for three reasons. First, it is physically and economically impossible to sterilize every coyote in the 1.7 million acre recovery area. Second, the premise that the presence of a sterile coyote precludes another coyote from entering the area is just wrong, as I have proven. Third, coyotes roam. That's why they have spread across the US so rapidly. They are not simply going to stay put and "hold" a geographic territory. My trapper said one collared coyote caught in the recovery area was subsequently killed on I-85 near Charlotte.

A recovery area with a canine population that is 76% (13/17) coyote, hardly meets the coyote free requirement of this 27 year old experiment that is devastating NC's native wildlife populations. It is time to salvage the remaining wolves through trapping and relocation and save our wildlife by controlling the canine predator population in this 5 county area. If one considers there are 13 coyotes for every 2,800 acres (size of farm trapped), this maths out to be 7,893 coyotes throughout the 5 county recovery area. USFWS has sterilized 60 coyotes and thinks they are controlling hybridization! ;)

USFWS admits to 62 collared wolves and makes some kind of guess that there are 44 "unknown" and unmonitored wolves. They document 135 "disappeared wolves". There is no way of documenting the breeding results of these "unknown" and "disappeared" populations. The "known" wolf population is comprised of 23 packs, 9 (40%) of which contain sterile coyotes. If you apply this 40% number to the unknown, disappeared, unmonitored and unmanaged wolf population in a 76% coyote area, you begin to understand the disastrous effects of this hybridization issue on both the red wolves as well as the wildlife in our state.

If you estimate the wolf population in the recovery area, based on four wolves per 2800 acres over a 1.7 million acre recovery area, the math works out to be 2,428 wolves in the five county area. Since I was trapping on a farm with &#8220;no wolves&#8221; on it, you can hardly say my numbers are inflated because I was trapping a high-density wolf area.

Please note the USFWS has stated the carrying capacity of the recovery area is estimated to be 140 wolves. It is quite obvious that the total number of wolves, coyotes, and their hybrids far, far exceeds this carrying capacity.

I appreciate the NCHF site allowing me the opportunity to shed light on this important subject. Your support is making a difference.

Thanks,

Jett Ferebee

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
USFWS TAXPAYER SPONSORED SUPER COYOTE

USFWS Red Wolf Biologist identified this animal as a "coyote"

The tail is cut because I am having it DNA tested...

Attachments

• USFWS Sponsored Coyote.jpg
    USFWS Sponsored Coyote.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
I am happy to answer any questions regarding the Coalition.

Question for Kim Wheeler Executive Director Red Wolf Coalition

Contained within the Red Wolf Coalitions 2000 (990 Tax Return) received a Grant of $22,800. Of which $10,435 was used. Broken out on the RWC 2000 (990 Tax Return) (see link) https://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/eo/2002_03_EO/56-2047428_990_200109.pdf

- Howlings Grant $3000 Expenses $1300
- Wolf Pens Grant $17,000 Expenses $7400
- Mailing List (200 People) Grant $800 Expenses $335

First Question - is according the agreement (link below) the Red Wolf Coalition was to address how unused allocated funds were to be returned. Can you advise if these funds outlined were ever returned?

http://www.fws.gov/redwolf/images/RW_Facility_EA_Appendix-A.pdf

Second Question - RWC 2010 (990 Tax Return) reported you as the Executive Director with a Salary of $51,715 (Line item 12) vs Expenses of $59,259 resulting in a loss of $10,558. Given Tyrrell County per capita income is $13,326, do you feel your income is disproportionate to the income given your Tax Exempt / Non-Profit Status?

https://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/eo/2012_02_EO/56-2047428_990EZ_201109.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrell_County,_North_Carolina

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Calling David Rabon

To the question above, USFWS Red Wolf Coordinator David Rabon sat on the Red Wolf Coalition Board during the year Ms Wheeler's Salary of $51,715 led to a $10,558 loss to the RWC, he should be able to comment.

David, Your thoughts requested??

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
I was informed this morning that David Rabon (USFWS Red Wolf Program Coordinator) decided he would move to Charlotte, NC (over 1 yr ago) so he could better manage the taxpayers $28 Million Dollar investment from 6 hrs away!!!! I learned he is also a Professor at both UNCC (Charlotte) and UNCW (Wilmington). Must teach some classes on how to hold 3 jobs in a 40 hr work week and still have time to serve on the Red Wolf Coalition Board for 12 hrs per month while your Red Wolfs are getting bred with Coyotes??

Could this explain why he has not had the time to conduct the 5 year review of Red Wolf Program which is now 2 years past due?

Its noteworthy that in every study he participates in the number one threat to the Red Wolf is Hybridization. Now when he is talking to the Press the number one threat is Gunshot. Yes, every single one!!

Why - To drive REVENUE and create a social media story so that the RWC can put on their Facebook page and drive REVENUE. Yes this revenue is later used to sue the State of North Carolina Wildlife Commission.

The number 1 threat to the Red Wolf is "David Rabon" and his "Office" Assistant Kim Wheeler with her $51,715 USFWS Grant Funded Salary!!

Would the real people trying to shut down ALL Coyote Hunting in the 5 County Area please stand up, whether your in the RWC office or in Charlotte??

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
"There is no excuse for hunting in a 21st century developed country"

Let's see how Ms. Wheeler, Executive Director, Red Wolf Coalition who shares the the USFWS office in Columbia responds as David Rabon her former Board Member and current Red Wolf Coordinator "manages" this debacle from CHARLOTTE!!!

FROM RED WOLF COALITION FACEBOOK:

Red Wolf Coalition James Benjamin Wales, the lawsuit now pending in federal district court in NC is precisely that. The Southern Environmental Law Center with 3 plaintiffs including the RWC is attempting to have coyote hunting banned in the 5-county red wolf recovery area in northeastern NC.
March 22 at 4:18am · 2

Hazel Longmore Scum! They should be used as wolf bait when found. There is no excuse for hunting in a 21st century developed country, particularly for those who clearly have sufficient funding to purchase and operate guns. If people can't at least use these weapons responsibly, they should immediately lose their right to use them.
March 22 at 7:53am

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Red Wolf Coalition Question

I am happy to answer any questions regarding the Coalition.

Ms. Wheeler, based on your statement above I'm sure you will not have an issue with coming on and explaining your thoughts. Your many supporters deserve to know the thought process of you and RWC Board Member David Rabon in reference to your salary. Many Red Wolf Supporters, Howlers and Crowd Risers have graciously contributed to fund the RWC and they would I'm sure like to know.

Rob Schultz - Executive Director, International Wolf Center
Salary - $47,861 vs $1,515,388 Gross Income or 3.1% of Income

http://www.wolf.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/federal990_2012.pdf

Kim Wheeler - Executive Director, Red Wolf Coalition
Salary - $51,715 vs $59,057 Gross Income or 87.5% of Income

https://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/eo/2012_02_EO/56-2047428_990EZ_201109.pdf

Ms. Wheeler, again will you please shed some light on the above facts for all of those that have contributed so freely to your Coalition, such as the local Residents within the 5 County Red Wolf Recovery Area & the USFWS Federal Grants?

Tags: Kim Wheeler, Red Wolf Coalition, David Rabon, RWC Board Member, USFWS, Red Wolf, Hybridization, International Wolf Center, Rob Schultz, Nina Fascione, Defenders of Wildlife, ESA, Endangered Species Act, Nonessential Experimental Population, North Carolina, Alligator River Wildlife Refuge, Red Wolf Coordinator, Section 10(j), 5 - Year Summary, Captive Breeding, Reintroduction Area, Coyote, Coywolf, Coywolfs, Coy-wolf, Coywolfs, Predator Control, Service, Take Permit, Adaptive Management, Sterilization, Federal Game Lands, Fish and Wildlife Service, Animal Welfare Institute, Lawsuit, NCWRC, North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission, Depredation, 5 County Red Wolf Recovery Area, Hyde County, Beaufort County, Tyrrell County, Dare County, Washington County, Red Wolf Recovery Program, Reward, PHVA 1999, George Amato, Mike Chamberlain, Jennifer Gilbreath, Ed Bangs, Brian Cole, Karen Goodrowe, Karen Beck, Gloria Bell, Dave Flemming, Jack Grisham, Art Beyer, Randy Fulk, Mary Hagedorn, Mike Bryant, Todd Fuller, Phil Hedrick, Onnie Byers, Eric Gese, Gary Henry, Brian Kelly, Phil Miller, John Theberge, Fred Knowlton, Michael Morse, Mary Thebarge, Sue Lindsey, Dennis Murray, Kathy Traylor-Holzer, Chris Lucash, Ron Nowak, Will Waddell, Ford Mauney, Mike Phillips, Bob Wayne, Dave Mech, Ulysses Seal, Kathy Whidbee, Scott McLellan, Doug Smith, Aubrey White, Michael Stoskopf, Paul Wilson, Dan Ashe, Sally Jewell, Department of the Interior, Red Wolf Study, Peer Review, Peer Reviewed, Howlings, Columbia NC, Columbia

Last edited:

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone from the Red Wolf Coalition, would you like to awnser these questions??? Anyone???

I guess the heat in the kitchen, got to much for Mrs. Wheeler.

Last edited:

bobpend

In reference to Jett's last post- There is no excuse for hunting in a 21st century developed country"
Hazel obviously does not know the important role that sportsmen have played in the conservation and restoration of many species in this country. Did RWC have a reply?

Last edited:

darenative

Twelve Pointer
In reference to Jett's last post- There is no excuse for hunting in a 21st century developed country"
Hazel obviously does not know the important role that sportsmen have played in the conservation and restoration of many species in this country. Did RWC have a reply?

Many of the antis fail to realize that without the benefit $$ from the excise taxes we as hunters and fishermen have payed and continue to pay, their pet projects wouldn't be possible.

Jett

Ten Pointer
Article Exposes NC Red Wolf, Coyote, Hybrid Population Numbers

7893 COYOTES/HYBRIDS
"13 coyotes per the 2,800 acres of my farm yields a project 7,893 coyotes across the 1.7 million acres of red wolf recovery area &#8211; basically five entire counties in northeast North Carolina. I&#8217;m no biologist so my methodology may be far from perfect, but from a common sense perspective it may be some of the best and most current data out there."

2428 WOLVES/HYBRIDS
"If you estimate the wolf population in the recovery area, based on four wolves per 2800 acres over a 1.7 million acre recovery area, the math works out to be 2,428 wolves in the five county area. Since I was trapping on a farm with &#8220;no wolves&#8221; on it, you can hardly say my numbers are inflated because I was trapping a high-density wolf area."

140 CARRYING CAPACITY
"Please note the USFWS has stated the carrying capacity of the recovery area is estimated to be 140 wolves. It is quite obvious that the total number of wolves, coyotes, and their hybrids far, far exceeds this carrying capacity. Consequently the wildlife on my farm has been decimated by this disastrous and irresponsible farce."

http://compassnews360.com/node/2014/03/28/my-30-day-trapping-results/

Jett

Ten Pointer
Jett, has there been any new developments in the coyote case that Judge Boyle presided over?

I rarely understand what attorneys write, but this is my take after reading the recent court documents. The Judge did not rule on the preliminary injunction to ban all coyote hunting in Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell, Washington and Beaufort counties. He wanted to appoint an expert to answer various questions regarding the wolf and coyote populations in the recovery area. I dare say I have a better grip on these population numbers (see my previous posts regarding these numbers) than any so called expert so closely associated with the Red Wolf program that said I had no wolves on my property.

Here is the recent activity:

1. Judge Boyle appointed David Rabon's (USFWS Red Wolf Coordinator) co-author, Dr. Chamberlain, as a court expert. Simply amazing, given the facts we now know regarding David Rabon/Kim Wheeler/Red Wolf Coalition/USFWS.

2. The NCWRC then asked for 21 days to rebut Chamberlain's report.

3. SELC basically objected.

4. Judge Boyle said he will rule on this rebuttal issue after he sees Chamberlain's report.

Remember, the coyote issue is merely a symptom of the real problem...Red Wolves and hybridization in NC. Without the wolves we could more readily deal with the coyotes and hybrids which are very problematic on their own.

In 1999 USFWS committed that the red wolf program would NOT impact any legal activity on private or public land in NC. Now here we sit facing the possibility that we can not shoot a coyote in these 5 counties. It just burns me up.

What upsets me even more is the amount of money our State is spending on this foolish law suit file by the Red Wolf Coalition whose Director, Kim Wheeler, has managed to only see a wild Red Wolf twice in her life time!!!!!

The woman lives in the recovery area, loves red wolves, draws a handsome salary posting pictures of penned red wolves on Facebook, yet with all her supposed passion for these animals, she has only managed to see two wild red wolves in her lifetime!!!! I'm not sure how this is even possible. You could hardly go to my farm without seeing 3 or 4 wolves per trip.

Yet she sees fit to sue our State and our commissioners personally, wasting time, energy and tax payer money in pursuit of her agenda:

"my perfect world would be to not have any hunting in that five county recovery area" (Kim Wheeler quote WUNC 91.5).

Last edited:

corapeake

Eight Pointer
In a perfect world, Ms. Wheeler and Mr. Rabon would save the wolves in captivity.

This whole mess is not about Red Wolves, it's about Mr Rabon, his staff and Ms. Wheeler keeping their jobs at the expense of others. They are never going to concede that the project has failed.

This had got momentum now, we must continue to keep the friendly Press involved and share the stories on social media like Ms. Wheeler does. The Red Wolf Scandal articles I have shared in the last few months got lots of "likes". Pressure from the People will make the wheels turn.

sent from my Razr Maxx using TapaTalk

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
In order to keep the momentum going, word needs to get to more and more people about this issue. It can get on WRAL and other local TV news, or even national TV news or newspapers, but it is here today and gone tomorrow, as they will move on to the next breaking news story. That is just the nature the printed and broadcasted news.

Is there a social media site created to keep this issue alive and circulating??? If not there should be a site created. The more people are informed of and made aware of this issue and the latest events, the better. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.