Page 2 of 463 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: "Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Four Pointer

[QUOTE=Abel;1223189]Thank you for making this a sticky!!!![/QUOTEs not about the wolves it about keeping these folks a job for a worthless cause.

Guys, I know Jett. He is one of the good guys. I had no idea he was having such a huge problem in Terrell County. From what I just read, it sounds like he has bent over backwards to help the Feds do their jobs and the Feds can't produce results. He is a more patient man than I.
    80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's... Academic/Athletic Fraud spanning 4 decades, 4+ coaches and 2,645 student athlete enrollments. Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty, and Roy Williams. That's a ton of dadgum cheating...

Quote Originally Posted by Buxndiverdux View Post
    ...and the Feds can't produce results.
    Not surprising really, ANY "Program" the Government gets their hands on and is successful is few and far between at best!

Good luck to Jett! Keep us informed please!
    Acts 10:13
    <Bowtech Allegience>
    -Remy 260,7MM

Old Mossy Horns

the op ed in the N&O today supports the end of the program in NC. it declares the red wolf to be exactly what those on here have said: a mixed up canine..

written by a biologist from WS.

Old Mossy Horns

I fairly positive many of the hybrids and maybe some wolves are a long way from this 5 county area, from some of the evidence I have seen. The red wolf reintroduction could have maybe been a success without the coyotes around, one reason the Alligator River area was chosen. With the population of coyotes in NC now its done IMO. Never mind if the red wolf is a hybrid in itself.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill, one kills in order to have hunted". Finn Aagard

Today I learned that the Southern Environmental Law Center on behalf of the Red Wolf Coalition and the Defenders of Wildlife may likely be granted an injunction which would grant protection to coyotes in the counties of Dare, Tyrrell, Washington, Beaufort and Hyde. THIS INJUNCTION WILL LIKELY COME NEXT WEEK!!! I urge all of you to please contact your wildlife commissioner, county commissioners, state and local representative tomorrow and demand proper representation of our rights. For a coyote to be given a protective status in our state is absurd and only highlights the fact that citizens and sportsmen of NC are not being properly represented and defended. Once the injunction is granted it will be too late. Below is a my letter requesting help from USFWS. All NCWRC commissioners, all 5 counties Boards of Commissioners, all State and US legislators were copied on this email. Please do your part and contact someone. This red wolf program has morphed into something that was never intended and must be ended. Who would have ever thought that a coyote would become a protected species in our state.

LETTER to Leo Miranda SE Regional Director USFWS:
    11/26/13

Leo,
    You have proven to me that you are compassionate and will listen to reason concerning the Red Wolf program. Knowing this, I am asking for your help once again. I learned yesterday that Federal Judge Terrence Boyle may very soon issue an injunction prohibiting the shooting of coyotes in five North Carolina counties. I know that the USFWS, SELC and the Defenders of Wildlife very often demand that environmental impact studies be done to determine the effects of an action and its impacts on wildlife. Now, you and I both know that your three biologists can hardly keep up with the 100 or so red wolves. It is a physical impossibility for these biologists to also live trap and give tubal ligations and vasectomies to even a fraction of the coyote population that now roams the 1.7 million acres of these five counties. What additional private property rights will USFWS have to trample over in order to wander the countryside on private property performing birth control measures on coyotes? The Red Wolf program's "placeholder" concept is a biologist's pipe dream. The "non essential experimental" red wolf has been experimental enough. For a judge to now grant coyotes the same protective status as these wolves have, most certainly will prove disastrous for the remaining wildlife populations in these counties. Already, my farm in Tyrrell county has only a very small percentage of the rabbit and deer population that it once had before the wolves, hybrids and coyotes began to call it home.
    With all this said, I strongly believe that a wildlife impact study is imperative prior to anyone asking for any injunction or even commencing a court hearing regarding protecting coyotes. It is absolutely critical to understand the impact of all wolves, hybrids and coyotes having undeterred free reign over our five counties. This is not what the USFWS agreed to in the 1995 Rules Revisions in order to continue the Red Wolf Program. It defies logic to ignore the potential devastating effects on our wildlife resources that would result from an uncurbed wolf, hybrid and coyote population. Your biologists may enjoy playing "animal farm" on our land, but remember it is OUR land and we have vested interests that do not revolve around your red wolf program.
    Leo, I am asking you to write a letter to Judge Boyle requesting a postponement on any rulings regarding coyotes and the red wolf program until the consequences of any potential actions can be studied and analyzed. As Assistant Regional Director - Ecological Services (Southeast Region) at US Fish and Wildlife Service in charge of the Red Wolf program, you will have credibility with Judge Boyle. I believe you also have a responsibility to protect all wildlife resources, not just wolves. I know USFWS is not a party to this current law suit. The Red Wolf Coalition is however a party to this law suit and the USFWS Red Wolf Coordinator, David Rabon serves on their Board of Directors (I am not certain the DOI Code of Ethics allows this by the way).
    Furthermore, the USFWS bears much responsibility for the current problems we are now facing with the Red Wolf program. Had the USFWS abided by their commitments in the 1995 Rules Revisions, in particular their covenants given to private land owners, I do not believe we would be having the conversations we are now having. It is just my opinion and I am not condoning it, but I truly believe the red wolf killings are not a result of misidentified coyotes. (Although by your biologists collaring coyotes certainly did not help!) I believe these acts are citizens fighting back in their own way against a government program built on lies and promoted by legions of conservationists who do not even live in our state or even our country. You have a PR problem with the citizens of eastern North Carolina and a ruling by a judge to strip them of even more protective private property rights, by protecting coyotes of all things, is most likely going to make matters worse.
    Leo, be a leader and do the right thing. Call a time out and you and Gordon Meyers get a grip on what the Red Wolf program has done to our state. Determine what a 220 wolf population in our five counties really means to our wildlife populations and what it means in light of coyotes, hybrids and interbreeding. I really believe you taking the lead on this is your responsibility to us and is imperative in order for the USFWS to regain any local support.
    I sincerely thank you for considering this request. I believe you are a vital key to fixing this mess. Please call me to discuss further.
    Sincerely,

Jett Ferebee
    (252) 714-2774
    Last edited by Jett; 11-26-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Judge Terrence Boyle needs to be removed from the bench....that guys is a joke as far as a judge goes.........do a little research on his handling of the Cape Hatteras lawsuit and his marked one sided allowance of proven false scientific data......it appears the same is about to happen here.
    Last edited by bryguy; 11-27-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    When we (man) experienced our fall from grace, God endowed the dog with all the properties initially intended for us...honesty, loyalty, nobility etc. and made the dog our best friend to be kept by our side so that we could see what strengths of character we could aspire to....but never quite achieve.....

Jett: Pardon my ignorance but what is the most effective way to get our voices heard here? I get the sense that the NCWRC doesn't need convincing but rather our efforts should be focused on our representatives. Or am I wrong? Should we be lobbying with both? You mentioned earlier to contact 'everyone' but who really needs to hear our thoughts?

Thanks for educating me on this issue. I know others have been saying similar things for years but your participation has brought it to light much more for me.
    "Standards are meant to be lowered" - Levi, May 29, 2012

Jett, have you per chance contacted any of the big heavy hitters in the outdoor industry about this? Not a huge fan of him, but I bet Ted Nugent or Tom Miranda would likely give this some air time if made aware of it. I would also imagine that the NRA-ILA could also be of assistance. Just some thoughts I had.
    When we (man) experienced our fall from grace, God endowed the dog with all the properties initially intended for us...honesty, loyalty, nobility etc. and made the dog our best friend to be kept by our side so that we could see what strengths of character we could aspire to....but never quite achieve.....

^^^^This sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Uncle Ted is pretty good at making his issues heard.