Hot dogs rant

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
You are kidding ....right?
I hope so...pretty sure the plastic wouldn't melt, but when plastic is heated it can release toxins from the chemical compounds it's made of, lol...

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Mom and Pop's off HWY 24 between Beulaville and Kenansville use to have a good hot dog. Haven't tried them in a couple years, need to get back by there.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I will say this, I had some buddies in high school that were from Connecticut, and they would bring back the butcher shop hot dogs from up there that were all linked together and had natural casings.........those were pretty good hot dogs to not be red.........

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I quit these gut bombs many years ago when my 3rd grade teacher told us the casings were actually sheep guts!! :what:

pumkinpuke1.jpg

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will say this, I had some buddies in high school that were from Connecticut, and they would bring back the butcher shop hot dogs from up there that were all linked together and had natural casings.........those were pretty good hot dogs to not be red.........

Again I say .....need to start a Frankfurter thread ......LOL

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I like the Boars Head dogs from the grocery store. Brightleaf is a close second...
I've had the hotdogs from a 1/2 dozen places around NC...Snoopy's, Trolley Stop, a couple of others slipping my mind. Trolley Stop was the only one that I remember being satisfying.

It seems most of the NC hotdogs here have flavorless dogs.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
You people need to make over to Winston and try pulliams. In business well over 100 years, only selling to items. Hotdogs and BBQ. Still lined out the door every single day. :)

Last edited:

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
You people need to make over to Winston and try pulliams. In business well over 100 years, only selling to items. Hotdogs and BBQ. Still lined out the door every single day. :)

Hard to beat a Pulliams hot dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I thought this was going to be about how they are made. Lol. I know a fireman who won't eat one. Says the dog is perfect size and shape to choke on. Claimed lots of people have chocked on them. Must not chew their food. A small kid, I can see that more than an adult.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Small kids we split the dog in half, lesser chance to get choked. They usually just dip it in ketchup anyway, finger food.

01d6299be02b74a86d8fa0da07d80d88.jpg

Last edited:

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you have a Harris Teeters near you I am a big fan of Sahlen's dogs. Good Stuff.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Only 2 places I ever get hotdogs from: Yum-Yum's in Greensboro. They always run the buns over with mustard, chili, slaw, and onions for $1.90 each and wash it down with an ice Cheerwine. There is a reason why they've been open for over 100 years. The other is Bill's Hotdogs in Washington. They only have mustard, spicy hot chili, and onions but that is really all you need for a $1.25 each.

yum-yum.jpg

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
College inn BBQ in Salisbury. Ft long ATW

Pioneer in Clyde. Not great but a comfort foot in college.

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
Weiner Works in Kings Mountain has some pretty good food. Foot long all the way!!!
Onion rings are good too.

I just wish I could eat a whole foot long hot dog now!! let alone an order of fries/rings

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
If you ever get the chance... Bens chili bowl in DC is about the best I've ever eaten.

Yes sir! I ate it many times when I was stationed up there. Great place to eat, just prepare for the lines. I also really enjoyed the Eskay brand hot dogs, that they served at the Baltimore Orioles games.

Back home, here in NC, I love Hot Dog World in Hendersonville. Chrome Side Grill in Naples also has good dogs.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mom and Pop's off HWY 24 between Beulaville and Kenansville use to have a good hot dog. Haven't tried them in a couple years, need to get back by there.

they use red hot dogs and a steamer. They're okay. i wish he would steam the buns instead of using the microwave

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Let me find some BRIGHT LEAF ....Carolina Packers dogs and I will make them myself!! I don't need no stinkin restaurant.

The boys in the eastern part of the state know what I am talkin about!

Yep, I know what you are talking about also, used to live not far from their plant. I have eaten a pile of Bright Leaf Carolina Packers hot dogs in my life time and we still enjoy them occasionally..I still like a good ole southern hot dog from a restaurant if its fixed right,, and I am from the eastern part of the state..

Last edited:

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Y'all can have all the red hotdogs never ate 1 that was edible consistency of a damn Vienna sausage especially boiled

A grandfather of mine used to boil his and eat it plain, as in no bun. Turned the water and pinkish or reddish color. Yuck.

Lastfling

Six Pointer
Let me find some BRIGHT LEAF ....Carolina Packers dogs and I will make them myself!! I don't need no stinkin restaurant.

The boys in the eastern part of the state know what I am talkin about!

Let me revive this thread. Having read a lot of posts regarding the merits of this dog I happened across a store in Winston-Salem who carries them. They carry both the hotdogs and smoked sausages. While you're at it and in want of a ready made - Kermits is just down the road a block or two LOL. Triad Meats on Waughtown St is the place. I have two packs in the cooler and plan on trying them for supper tonight.

Last edited:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
College inn BBQ in Salisbury. Ft long ATW

Pioneer in Clyde. Not great but a comfort foot in college.

I have never eaten a hot dog at the Pioneer, because it has one of the best cheeseburgers on the planet.

Saxon's hot dogs and minners in Abbeville, SC has some good dogs. And they sell minners.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Let me revive this thread. Having read a lot of posts regarding the merits of this dog I happened across a store in Winston-Salem who carries them. They carry both the hotdogs and smoked sausages. While you're at it and in want of a ready made - Kermits is just down the road a block or two LOL. Triad Meats on Waughtown St is the place. I have two packs in the cooler and plan on trying them for supper tonight.

Surprised they are that far west......post up your thoughts when done

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Bright Leaf hot dogs and bologna are my wife's brand - she loves them,,,,,they are fine by me,,,,,not real picky,,,,,

Lastfling

Six Pointer
Will do. Fellow that runs the place said he had a lot of customers from down east asking for them and complaining that they couldn't find them so he stocked them. Carries the red hots too and maybe the bologna - I'll have to look closer next time. I spotted them before Christmas when he cut the hock end off a country ham for me.