Kubota Tractor L2501 vs L3301

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I'm looking for some advise on the above tractors. My needs will be tilling 4-6 acres of food plots with a potential of 6-12 acres as well as maintaining about two miles of dirt roads through my hunting property. The tractor will also be used for snow removal when required.
The equipment I will be using includes a 66" box blade, 60" bush hog and a 50" rotary tiller.
My question is do you think the L2501 with 25 hp and 20.5 pto will be adequate for my needs? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
25 would probably do it, but you'll be happy you spent a little more to get the 33.
Dad bought a 3560 and traded it in for a 5060 after a year. I have a BX23. Can't go wrong with Kubota.
Definitely get hydrostatic trans.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
25 would probably do it, but you'll be happy you spent a little more to get the 33.
Dad bought a 3560 and traded it in for a 5060 after a year. I have a BX23. Can't go wrong with Kubota.
Definitely get hydrostatic trans.

Thanks for the input. Why the HST over the gear driven transmission? I figured 8 speeds would be better for overall handling.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
You'll be much happier with the L3301 for what you are trying to do.

Thanks but can you tell me why? I'm being told they will hold the same size implements but you will just go a little slower with the 25. Is that all?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Kubota are lightweight tractors and every pound of weight as well as foot pound of torque is needed. You'll be happier with the heavier model.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for the input. Why the HST over the gear driven transmission? I figured 8 speeds would be better for overall handling.

The foot pedal is easier, smoother, and faster than the gears. Maybe just personal preference.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Thanks but can you tell me why? I'm being told they will hold the same size implements but you will just go a little slower with the 25. Is that all?

That's all really, you can work faster. No one every said their tractor had too much power:)

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Thanks guys! I guess the L3301 is the way to go! Still have to decide on the HST over the gear driven!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When not if you back up on a yellow jacket's nest with that bush hog you will be surprised just how bumfuzzled you can get trying to swap gears from reverse to forward. it is much easier to just stomp a peddle or hit a lever from reverse to forward. I don't know of anyone that went from gear driven to hydro that wasn't happy.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
When not if you back up on a yellow jacket's nest with that bush hog you will be surprised just how bumfuzzled you can get trying to swap gears from reverse to forward. it is much easier to just stomp a peddle or hit a lever from reverse to forward. I don't know of anyone that went from gear driven to hydro that wasn't happy.

Good to know! I guess that answers my question! Thanks

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Basically the only difference between the 2501 and the 3301 is 8 HP and an increase of 550 RPM of the PTO. The chassis are the same on both.
Is that worth an increase of about 2K?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would go with the L3301, HST. If you are wanting to plant 4-6 acres+, you will want more size/power/weight. The reason is you will find that you want to pull a little bigger implement. It takes a long time to cover 5 acres if you have to go over it several times. The grand L 3560 would be really nice. :D

A couple of years ago, I was making the decision between the L3300 and the B3350. I ended up getting the B3350, but that was primarily because 1) I trailer it each time to our hunting property, and 2) I take it in some tight spots. But I would rather run a 7' disc (if I had one) instead of a 5' disc when I am working up the 3 acres here at the house. If I was planting twice that I would really need a bigger implement. I don't think you will be planting 4-6 acres with a 50" tiller.

I got the Land Pride quick hitch and tried to get everything set up for that. I picked up a disc, drag, spreader, sprayer, and bush hog, and that pretty much covers what I need for all my plots.

Edit: One more thing - read up on the Tier IV emissions technology. :(

Last edited:

mdunker

Ten Pointer
Get the HST and the bigger one if money is not an issue. After having the HST I will never use anything else.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I would go with the L3301, HST. If you are wanting to plant 4-6 acres+, you will want more size/power/weight. The reason is you will find that you want to pull a little bigger implement. It takes a long time to cover 5 acres if you have to go over it several times. The grand L 3560 would be really nice. :D

A couple of years ago, I was making the decision between the L3300 and the B3350. I ended up getting the B3350, but that was primarily because 1) I trailer it each time to our hunting property, and 2) I take it in some tight spots. But I would rather run a 7' disc (if I had one) instead of a 5' disc when I am working up the 3 acres here at the house. If I was planting twice that I would really need a bigger implement. I don't think you will be planting 4-6 acres with a 50" tiller.

I got the Land Pride quick hitch and tried to get everything set up for that. I picked up a disc, drag, spreader, sprayer, and bush hog, and that pretty much covers what I need for all my plots.

Edit: One more thing - read up on the Tier IV emissions technology. :(

Thanks for the input. I get it about more power, as far as weight were talking about 100lbs additional.
The nice thing about the L2501 is it is below the horsepower requiring the Tier IV emissions technology.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Get the HST and the bigger one if money is not an issue. After having the HST I will never use anything else.

Thanks! Money is always an issue but they have interest free financing with zero down for 70 months through the end of the year. Can't beat that!
HST does appear to be the way to go!

Southern

Ten Pointer
I have a number of tractors including several Kubotas. For what you are planning, I think either tractor will prove too small. Most buyers do go to small in the beginning. Also, while HST is nice, with the smaller , modern lower torque engines, you will notice a distint power difference between the two transmissions. Gear will pull and mow ALOT stronger.

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
We have an M7040 4x4 here on the farm. It does anything we want it to. Has a bucket and rear hydraulics. Great tractor. Oh yeah, has a cup holder too!

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for the input. I get it about more power, as far as weight were talking about 100lbs additional.
The nice thing about the L2501 is it is below the horsepower requiring the Tier IV emissions technology.

You can't kill a Kubota. The service manager was telling me about some machines that people's employees use and do zero maintenance, run them hard, and they keep going and going.
I would take a serious look at larger used machines that don't have the EPA junk.

Personally, considering cost/value and the EPA emissions systems on new ones, I'd rather have a well cared for used pre-emissions one than a new one. A lot of folks buy and then realize they want a larger one, might be able to find a good used trade in at a dealer.

I didn't realize the 2501 didn't have the particle filter etc. and the 33 did. That being so, between those two, I'd go with the 2501. They'll both do the job. Giving up a little horsepower and rpm on the pto would be worth not to have to deal with regens. and possible cost of new emission components.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
You can't kill a Kubota. The service manager was telling me about some machines that people's employees use and do zero maintenance, run them hard, and they keep going and going.
I would take a serious look at larger used machines that don't have the EPA junk.

Personally, considering cost/value and the EPA emissions systems on new ones, I'd rather have a well cared for used pre-emissions one than a new one. A lot of folks buy and then realize they want a larger one, might be able to find a good used trade in at a dealer.

I didn't realize the 2501 didn't have the particle filter etc. and the 33 did. That being so, between those two, I'd go with the 2501. They'll both do the job. Giving up a little horsepower and rpm on the pto would be worth not to have to deal with regens. and possible cost of new emission components.

That's good to know. The 33 is actually al out 3K more then the 25 and I just can't wrap my head around it. We will see going to make a purchase on Monday! Looking forward to it!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I have a number of tractors including several Kubotas. For what you are planning, I think either tractor will prove too small. Most buyers do go to small in the beginning. Also, while HST is nice, with the smaller , modern lower torque engines, you will notice a distint power difference between the two transmissions. Gear will pull and mow ALOT stronger.

Thanks, unfortunately my budget keeps me in this range. I really don't know much about tractors so to buy something used but larger is not something I'm comfortable with.
The dealer made a good point today. He said you will be going slower then a larger tractor and you may have to make more passes but you have never driven a tractor before so you have nothing to compare it too! Good point!

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck with whatever one you go with,you'll enjoy it...the Tier IV stuff is no big deal just watch your lights,my MX 5800 usually re-gens every 20 hours or so....just bump the throttle and keep working.

Last edited:

Southern

Ten Pointer
Thanks, unfortunately my budget keeps me in this range. I really don't know much about tractors so to buy something used but larger is not something I'm comfortable with.
The dealer made a good point today. He said you will be going slower then a larger tractor and you may have to make more passes but you have never driven a tractor before so you have nothing to compare it too! Good point!

Speed is not the issue, torque is. I have about 20 acres of fields that I let grow up every year in broom straw. This is sandy land so it does get pretty thick. My L4600 HST will not cut it in one pass without bogging down and this is about a 46 HP tractor. I have to mow it twice or use one of my bigger tractors. Torque is your friend with tractors. I would rather buy an older, larger tractor personally. It wont hurt you any worse than a smaller tractor will.

newdeerhunter011

Eight Pointer

Speed is not the issue, torque is. I have about 20 acres of fields that I let grow up every year in broom straw. This is sandy land so it does get pretty thick. My L4600 HST will not cut it in one pass without bogging down and this is about a 46 HP tractor. I have to mow it twice or use one of my bigger tractors. Torque is your friend with tractors. I would rather buy an older, larger tractor personally. It wont hurt you any worse than a smaller tractor will.

i agree with this. you can never get one too big. Id rather have an older bigger gear driven tractor than a newer small one with HST. HST is not that beneficial unless you are using a front end loader going back and forth a lot. that gets tedious when you have to change gears.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

If gear is so much stronger explain to me why all the major companies have long went to hydrostatic in track loaders and bull dozers?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most people who buy small tractors have many intended uses, and planting is only a small portion of the total hours. For any kind of loader work or anything that takes a lot of stopping and starting the HST is worth it. I guess if all I was doing was farming, it wouldn't be necessary.

I do agree on getting a larger, used tractor. A well-maintained machine in the 37-40 HP range, about 5 years old without Tier IV would be ideal for the OP, IMO. It's just hard to find one that you can be confident that it has been maintained and not abused.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Most people who buy small tractors have many intended uses, and planting is only a small portion of the total hours. For any kind of loader work or anything that takes a lot of stopping and starting the HST is worth it. I guess if all I was doing was farming, it wouldn't be necessary.

I do agree on getting a larger, used tractor. A well-maintained machine in the 37-40 HP range, about 5 years old without Tier IV would be ideal for the OP, IMO. It's just hard to find one that you can be confident that it has been maintained and not abused.

That's my problem and being new to the word of tractors it's even a bigger risk.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
If gear is so much stronger explain to me why all the major companies have long went to hydrostatic in track loaders and bull dozers?

I'm by far no expert but I do know that the gear driven get a few more horsepower then the Hydrostatic with the same size motors. Not sure if it's enough to make a difference.

Southern

Ten Pointer
Comparing a 35 hp tractor to a 1000 hp tractor is like asking why cant i ski behind a battleship when I can behind my jon boat. Its all relative and a 20% loss of power ( was told that today at the Kubota dealer) makes a huge difference when starting at 35. It seems like it is more evident when mowing than anything else for some reason.