rx burn pics

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
IMG_20140321_163135_993.jpgIMG_20140322_145908_680.jpgIMG_20140322_170151_071.jpgIMG_20140322_170216_028.jpgIMG_20140326_143738_264.jpg

There's usually some talk about prescribed burning for wildlife habitat improvement, so I figured I'd share a few pictures of some burns from the last week. Some in stand burns to promote native grasses and other wildlife food species and some open field burns to keep warm season grasses going. I've finished a little over 225 acres since end of last week, but still have a lot to go.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Were you involved in the burns along hwy 126 around Lake James?

I was heading up, but the weather wasn't right for the day of the burn, but when things finally fell in place the other guy in my office went up to give them a hand.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
could I get anybody do that for me? would the local fire department do that or anyone else?

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
could I get anybody do that for me? would the local fire department do that or anyone else?

The nc forest service, or there are a few private consulting foresters that do prescribed burning. Most of the private consultants work in the central and eastern part of the state where larger amounts of prescribed burning takes place.

Natural Flight Ryan

Curdog, who do you work for, if you don't mind me asking?

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
IMG_20140405_171051_448.jpgIMG_20140405_174236_366.jpgIMG_20140405_171233_029.jpg
Since I missed out on opening day of trout season I figured I'd have a few pics of today's burn. Making a happy home for all the critters.

Last edited:

rem1148

View attachment 36027View attachment 36026View attachment 36025
Since I missed out on opening day of trout season I figured I'd have a few pics of today's burn. Making a happy home for all the critters.

Cur, I don`t think a lot of folks really understand the great benefits of control burns for wildlife and trees, especially long leaf pines, quail, turkey and deer, not to mention the numerous song birds it helps! I still think cost per acre it is the cheapest, best tool available to us! With that said there is risk!

To those who are asking. Please use someone who is a Certified Burn Boss to perform this service. There is great liability to you if you set that fire! Let them hold the responsibility. Odds are they have thousands of acres of burn experience and can achieve the task without incident. They will be able to read atmospheric conditions to get the smoke off the ground, set the burn plan with local forest service and notify local FD`s and PD`s if necessary.

It sounds like I`m talking out of both sides of my mouth at the same time. Sorry if it does. For me the benefit out ways the risk!

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Cur, I don`t think a lot of folks really understand the great benefits of control burns for wildlife and trees, especially long leaf pines, quail, turkey and deer, not to mention the numerous song birds it helps! I still think cost per acre it is the cheapest, best tool available to us! With that said there is risk!

To those who are asking. Please use someone who is a Certified Burn Boss to perform this service. There is great liability to you if you set that fire! Let them hold the responsibility. Odds are they have thousands of acres of burn experience and can achieve the task without incident. They will be able to read atmospheric conditions to get the smoke off the ground, set the burn plan with local forest service and notify local FD`s and PD`s if necessary.

It sounds like I`m talking out of both sides of my mouth at the same time. Sorry if it does. For me the benefit out ways the risk!

Rem, you are exactly right. There is a lot more to it then just going out and striking a match. Weather conditions have to be planned out months in advance. Once you through topography into the equation, there are many factors that will affect fire behavior and they need to be just right to meet the objectives of the burn and to do it safely.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Burning is a great tool indeed. Finding a contractor to conduct a burn on your property might be difficult depending on what part of the state you are in. For more good information checkout the NC Prescribed Fire Council website http://www.ncprescribedfirecouncil.org/ . This group is working to get more contractors burning and liability insurance available and affordable for burning.
If you are really interested in starting a burn program on your property look into becoming a certified burner yourself. Training is available and the certification process requires that you plan and conduct a burn under the supervision of a certified burner. One good source of training is the NC Prescribed Fire Training Center at Montgomery Community College, http://www.montgomery.edu/nc-prescribed-fire-training-center.html . Also, lots of cost share opportunities for burning out there.
Finally, the site conditions will dictate how much habitat benefit you get from a burn. Dense forest stands and past chemical use from farming or forest site prep can decrease the habitat benefit of a burn. Prescribed burning is not a silver bullet, but a great tool under many conditions.

rem1148

This is where I took the course para. Great bunch of folks from Forest Service teaching it. You go thru the classroom part a than a field trip where you actually build a burn plan. Evaluate a post control burn for effectiveness. Learn how to measure fuel in tons per acre, what are fine and what are heavy fuels and just as important how to decide wether smoke will rise and how high or will it lay on the ground! When you get that passed you can actually setup a burn on your property with a Burn Boss with you and finally pass the final phase of the course if your burn is successful.