what to plant for good bow hunting and late season

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Like the title says but I will have a total of 4 food plots the smallest being a 1/10th of an acre and the biggest being just over a 1/4 acre.

Any ideas on what I should plant, Im very limited in funds due to being a full time college student.

I wouldn't mind finding something that for deer but that can also bring bring turkey's in.

I can get a disc, ripper and some other farming equipment if I need it, but I don't know about a compactor.

Please give me an idea guys, Im tired of spending $100+ on corn every season, Im looking for something that will last a good while, something that I don't have to re-plant and be working on it every other week

I know its a lot to ask for, when I was younger when my dad hunted more he tried soybeans and couldn't get it to take. Also my property is surrounded by cutovers.

Last question is when should I plant it sometime around aug would be great, how much lime, and what type of fert and how much.

Clover, grain, chicory, peas, brassica? any of these, or something else?

Last edited:

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I was going to say beans but saw where you hadn't had luck there...

Last edited:

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Yea as I recall my dad did everything had soil test, limed it and fertilized it, but he didn't get it to take he said the birds tore the seeds up to much, with an added drought what did grow was ate in no time. Like I said we are tired of always buying corn and spending tons of money. So that's why we are looking to start some small easy to care for food plots

wardbr549

You might try cow peas this summer. The deer will eat them up and they will not get big in the small plots. And go back with oats and turnips this fall. Next year mow a few times and overseed if ya need to.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah doesn't matter what kind and mid September is a good time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Alright guys im going to do the oats and clover. Just follow the instructions on the bag?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Usually no instructions on the bag with these. Pack or drag to cover the oats after broadcasting on fluffy soil, then broadcast the clover and leave it on top.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
soil test for deer/turkey plot. Follow their recommendations.

or do 400 lbs per acre of 17-17-17 and a ton of lime per acre if you want a shot in the dark, but that's all it is.

Last edited: