Which Camera To Buy.....Never Owned A Camera

gregor187

Six Pointer
Hey Guys need a little help, never owned a game camera before , came into a little Dicks Sporting Goods windfall. Want to put these on logging roads for the main use and want to catch what walks the roads. Night and Day just as important but I do not care about moving pictures......
I would like to get as many as I can so I am looking the lower priced models. I posted the Link to there website so you that have experience with different models could look and recommend. Also, what do I need to look at pictures?

Thanks in Advance

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f...d=$25.00+-+$50.00&size=12&&cp=4413993.4414427

gregor187

Six Pointer
Folks Look around on the webpage............If you click Trail Cameras there are 50 choices....That is just the page to get you to the lower end models.

daviddeerhunter

Eight Pointer
I have had great luck with wild game innovation cameras. they do the job and perform as expected. I run 4 cameras year round. all you need to check the camera is an extra sd card to put into the camera and then go home and put the sd card into your laptop and look at the pictures. the cameras are very cheap I buy the $50 black one.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I like the Covert black MP8, they replace any camera quickly. I like a camera that doesn't spook game. These don't spook game.

I have had good luck with Bushnell cameras. They offer field scan mode. Consider the money you will spend in batteries as part of the total cost of ownership. I prefer cameras to run on double a batteries and last at least 4 weeks before replacing.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I have the tasco from Walmart and for $50 it is a good camera. Take good pics and last a long time on a set of batteries.

Attachments

• HUNT1617.jpg
    HUNT1617.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 17
  • HUNT1639.jpg
    HUNT1639.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 17
  • HUNT1389.jpg
    HUNT1389.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 17
  • HUNT3478.jpg
    HUNT3478.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Hotrodf7

If your thinking bushnell on amazons they have trophy cams for 99$

gregor187

Six Pointer
Thanks to all who have helped............but remember I have a large Dicks Sporting goods gift card only.. which I would be willing to sell for 350 dollars it is a 400 card.....in Raleigh.
So I am confined to Dicks inventory and they wont sell me 400 worth of 22lr bullets

Bluestreak

Post # 2 and 3 say no to Wild Game. I'm the opposite. I've had had nothing but the best success with them. I've tried Primos and Moultrie. I dumped them and went all WGI. Menus are consistent from model to model, the cameras work well and battery life is above average. Their customer service is good from my experience. I have had 6 cameras over the last 5 years. All but one are still in use. The one had an issue with the SD card not reading. It was 3 years old and WGI replaced it.

Not doubting the other guys at all. Just my experience. For the money, best cams IMO.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'm with 2 and 3. I've owned wildgame, put it on trails and got LOTS of empty pictures because the trigger was so slow. MANY of my pics of deer were blurry, even though you could tell they were moving very slowly, if at all.

I might consider 1 GOOD one ($200 ish) and maybe 2 different $100 ish to see what you like best on the lower end. Better to buy one bad one and never do it again than 4 bad ones all at the same time.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Ok....I have tried nearly every brand of trail camera out there. Currently I have 17 in the woods. If you want a simple, reliable camera that takes good pictures and has a long battery life....the only model Dicks carries that meets that description are the Bushnell trophy cams. I use 3 kinds of cameras now....and 2 of them you can't buy at dicks. Unless you want to order a reconyx or covert, get the Bushnell trophy cam.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bushnell Trophy essential is a good medium cost camera. They all have their quirks, but that one is my recent pick of the bunch.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Post # 2 and 3 say no to Wild Game. I'm the opposite. I've had had nothing but the best success with them. I've tried Primos and Moultrie. I dumped them and went all WGI. Menus are consistent from model to model, the cameras work well and battery life is above average. Their customer service is good from my experience. I have had 6 cameras over the last 5 years. All but one are still in use. The one had an issue with the SD card not reading. It was 3 years old and WGI replaced it.

Not doubting the other guys at all. Just my experience. For the money, best cams IMO.

Same here. I bought half a dozen of the WGI blade6 from Dicks about three years ago. No problems at all with any of them. Most have been running 24/7 for nearly 3 years. Good pics, great battery life, no malfunctions at all.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I'm with 2 and 3. I've owned wildgame, put it on trails and got LOTS of empty pictures because the trigger was so slow. MANY of my pics of deer were blurry, even though you could tell they were moving very slowly, if at all.

I might consider 1 GOOD one ($200 ish) and maybe 2 different $100 ish to see what you like best on the lower end. Better to buy one bad one and never do it again than 4 bad ones all at the same time.

That's in how you set it up a lot more than the cam itself. For one thing, poinnt it down the trail instead of at a 90 degree angle to it. And keep limbs trimmed that blow in the wind.

I get 10x better quality pics from WGIs than from Moultrie and other comparable cams. As far as WGI, I've had better luck with the cheaper ones myself. The expensive ones are the ones that most folks have problems with.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
I like the Covert black MP8, they replace any camera quickly. I like a camera that doesn't spook game. These don't spook game.

Agree completely, have run several Coverts and get great photos and they have excellent support.

Wild Game Innovations have been junk in my experience and their warranty support is the worst.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Just going to speak for my own experiences. The Wild Game Innovations cameras suck. On a whim I purchased the Primos Bullet Proof 2 because it was TINY and have loved it from day one. Four batteries last forever, it's dummy proof. All you do is stick your SD card in it after you set the time date and flip a switch, you're done. I stopped using mine on still images opting for video instead. I went and bought a few more when I caught them on sale for $50. Have only used them one season so far, but am very happy.

https://www.primos.com/products/game-cameras/

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...rfcm112mpgtch--1/16posuprfcm112mpgtch?&color=

[video=youtube;RZo0ebHpve8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZo0ebHpve8[/video]

Last edited:

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Bushnell is what I have used for the last 7 years. The 2 year warranty is the biggest benefit. Most likely if something is going to go wrong with a camera it will be in the first 2 years. Send them the camera if broke and $10 bucks and receive a brand new camera.
I won a stealth cam and Im not sure it even works properly. Drains batteries like crazy and randomly takes pictures. I use that one for my backyard.

Last edited:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Bushnell is what I have used for the last 7 years. The 2 year warranty is the biggest benefit. Most likely if something is going to go wrong with a camera it will be in the first 2 years. Send them the camera if broke and $10 bucks and receive a brand new camera.
I won a stealth cam and Im not sure it even works properly. Drains batteries like crazy and randomly takes pictures. I use that one for my backyard.
Where have you seen that Bushnell Trail Cams have a two year warranty? I've had a bunch of their trail cams and all have had one year warranty. I just sold one for $35 with a camlockbox because it quit working after about 6 months of use in a little over a years time and they wouldn't warranty it.

Now, if you have a problem and it is under warranty in the one year period, they will take care of you. I bought a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Max 8mp and it quit working after three months. I sent it in, without the $10 they say to send(I had read on other forums where a Bushnell rep had told someone they will usually replace even if you don't include the $10) and they sent me a brand new 20mp Trophy Cam HD no glow black LED, no questions asked. The camera I had I paid about $100 for, the one they replaced it for sells for nearly twice that. Thinking about selling it because I don't want to buy another camlockbox just for that model.

I like the Bushnell cameras but all my cams need to be in bear proof boxes. None of their different models fit in the same ones and they keep changing them. I keep ending up $40 lock boxes that won't fit replacement cameras and I can't switch the camera from one location to another without having to move that exact lock box.

I had good luck with the Cuddeback E series cams and the C series will fit in the same lockboxes so that's what I'm going with for now.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
"Trail Cameras 2-year warranty". from Bushnells website

Where have you seen that Bushnell Trail Cams have a two year warranty? I've had a bunch of their trail cams and all have had one year warranty. I just sold one for $35 with a camlockbox because it quit working after about 6 months of use in a little over a years time and they wouldn't warranty it.

Now, if you have a problem and it is under warranty in the one year period, they will take care of you. I bought a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Max 8mp and it quit working after three months. I sent it in, without the $10 they say to send(I had read on other forums where a Bushnell rep had told someone they will usually replace even if you don't include the $10) and they sent me a brand new 20mp Trophy Cam HD no glow black LED, no questions asked. The camera I had I paid about $100 for, the one they replaced it for sells for nearly twice that. Thinking about selling it because I don't want to buy another camlockbox just for that model.

I like the Bushnell cameras but all my cams need to be in bear proof boxes. None of their different models fit in the same ones and they keep changing them. I keep ending up $40 lock boxes that won't fit replacement cameras and I can't switch the camera from one location to another without having to move that exact lock box.

I had good luck with the Cuddeback E series cams and the C series will fit in the same lockboxes so that's what I'm going with for now.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
"Trail Cameras 2-year warranty". from Bushnells website
I still can't find it on there. When I go to Bushnell's website and click on "warranty", I get the page that has everything listed and trail cams are under the list titled "one year limited warranty". If yall are seeing two years somewhere on there post a link here for me please, I've got another camera I want to send them.

http://bushnell.com/global/customer-service/warranty

This is the cam they just sent me, side of the box says one year.

DSCN1857_zpselwc0dey.jpg