Oak identification

cmcarter

Six Pointer
There has to be some tree experts here. I took this leaf to my dad, which it stumped him.

Is this a southern red oak or a pin oak?? Explain your reasoning please.
130e111253d1d9e159d276747281e195.jpg

2125445c405368c6b6900f8bb404f901.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Southern red oak.
The bottom has the bell shaped base.

Last edited:

SM270

Ten Pointer
Pin oak leaf is very small compared to that one. Definitely a red oak. White oak is a larger rounder leaf

cmcarter

Six Pointer
Pin oak leaf is very small compared to that one. Definitely a red oak. White oak is a larger rounder leaf

I always mistaken willow oaks as pin oaks, until today. So I got around looking online of all the oaks and their leaves. Needless to say, I came out more confused of the oaks that I thought I knew and understood.

White oaks, swamp white oaks and red oaks were always the easiest for me to identify. But this southern red oak really sent me for a learning lesson.

SM270

Ten Pointer
Ha-ha I work in landscaping and always have to check myself when we get tree orders for folks

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
For extra good times try to figure out some of the naturally occurring oak hybrids. Scarlet Oak seems to cross pretty regularly with black and southern red oak. Those will leave you scratching your head.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
For extra good times try to figure out some of the naturally occurring oak hybrids. Scarlet Oak seems to cross pretty regularly with black and southern red oak. Those will leave you scratching your head.

HAHA yes, my dad and I were reading on a website yesterday that were talking about these hybrids and how to tell the difference. I gave up shortly after. There's not hope for me if I can get the red oaks and pin's down!

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I always mistaken willow oaks as pin oaks, until today. So I got around looking online of all the oaks and their leaves. Needless to say, I came out more confused of the oaks that I thought I knew and understood.

White oaks, swamp white oaks and red oaks were always the easiest for me to identify. But this southern red oak really sent me for a learning lesson.

Lol, in my dendrology class at State (dendrology is the study of trees) we got to where we actually liked getting an oak on a quiz or exam. You were guaranteed at least half the points. I had no idea how many different oak trees we had until that class. I think we learned at least 2 dozen (some were hybrids).

cmcarter

Six Pointer
Lol, in my dendrology class at State (dendrology is the study of trees) we got to where we actually liked getting an oak on a quiz or exam. You were guaranteed at least half the points. I had no idea how many different oak trees we had until that class. I think we learned at least 2 dozen (some were hybrids).

Haha that sounds like a very good class to take for us hunters but I bet it could get real hard mighty fast.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Those are all "Red oaks" in my book.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Haha that sounds like a very good class to take for us hunters but I bet it could get real hard mighty fast.

Took me twice to get through it. It's one of the hardest courses at State. Over 175 different plants over the course of the semester, and it's intentionally only offered in fall so the leaves are already gone…

cmcarter

Six Pointer
Took me twice to get through it. It's one of the hardest courses at State. Over 175 different plants over the course of the semester, and it's intentionally only offered in fall so the leaves are already gone…

Haha there has to be some serious studying going on for that class. State has a heck of a Forestry school, I guess they need a way to weed out the less-than-committed students. The engineering school at State has the same type of classes, or at least it sure seems like they do it on purpose.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Absolutely, and it's a C-wall course for forestry majors. It was a lot more fun the 2nd time around, though 😃