Looking for recommendations on food plot

mountain_man

Looking for suggestions on what to plant and what others have had success with as well as brands used. Looking for something that will establish quick and winter hardy that will produce the entire deer season. Just cleared up an area in an mostly hardwoods forest on top of a mountain/ knoll. Northwest NC/ Blue ridge mountains area. Maybe a 1/4 acre area worth planting. Mostly shaded, can get a few hours of sun during middle of day. The area can be accessed with tractor and equipment needed. I was looking at some of Whitetail Institutes products. Anyone recommend them or one of their specific products?

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Oats and wheat are usually winter hardy. I just started getting my fields prepped by discing today, disced about 3-4 acres worth of land. Gonna do a few different things in them. One half we are gonna plant a mix of wheat and austrian winter peas, the other half we are gonna plant wheat, turnips, clover and maybe something else, haven't figured it out yet. And then in another field that is about a 1/2 acre, gonna plant a bunch of turnip, rape and wheat possibly.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A bag of oats, you could still add some crimson clover or other branded clover mix if you want.

Last edited:

Southside

Ten Pointer
Millet comes up quickly but not sure if deer like millet or not. Anyone know how well it would do in the part of the state mtn_man ask about?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
if you're getting quite a bit of shade a mix of oats and/or grain rye and "greens" work well. Kale, lettuce and such work well in partial shade and the deer love'm.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you are close to the Blue ridge mountains then it will be too cold for oats. I would use rye and crimson clover. Be sure to lime the plot good. I am about 15+ miles from the Blue ridge mountains in Virginia and my oats usually start to die off come mid to late December. Deer do prefer oats over rye though.

Last edited: