Venous dermatitis? Graphic

straightline

Ten Pointer
Anyone ever heard of this? My mom was diagnosed with poison about two weeks ago but now they don't know. This is by far the nastiest infection I've ever seen with something eating the skin away. We had to admit her to the hospital and now they are running tests to try and determine what it is but "venous dermatitis" is the early diagnosis. I'm no doctor but I know this ain't poison.

7e9c595113695c90fbbc112e4e41e40e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfootinnb

Praying for a quick recovery

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
That has to be scary for her. Has she any history of diabetes? Hope they can get that taken care of and soon. Prayers for your Mom.

odie408

Ten Pointer
Prayers for that. Could it be a reaction to meds? Neosporin use for a while or under a bandage seems to eat flesh on me.

straightline

Ten Pointer
She has not been in the garden or anywhere other than her yard. Meds have not changed either. They were thinking along the lines of diabetes but she is good there also. She lives alone and is one strong willed, independent woman so I had not been by since last Tuesday. Had I not stopped by yesterday there is no telling how bad it would have gotten. When I talked to her on the phone she said it was just a little sore on there. Just a PSA for those with aging parents especially ones who stay alone. Keep a check on them as you never know. Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts and hopefully the white coats can figure it out.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Prayers for healing. Does she happen to smoke or have a history of heart or vascular disease. They look very much like stasis ulcers to me.

straightline

Ten Pointer
Prayers for healing. Does she happen to smoke or have a history of heart or vascular disease. They look very much like stasis ulcers to me.

Nothing. Borderline vegetarian, non-smoker, non-drinker, active and perfect health other than mild fibromyalgia.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hope the can figure it out quickly. Then see if the can get her into a wound center to help healing.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
My Dad had a skin disorder last year on his legs and the Doctor's never did figure out what it was, he still has the problem at times it never completely goes away... His condition did not break out into sore's like your Mom has but his looked bad as well. The Dermatologist didn't know what his skin ailment was either. Keep us up to date on your Mom...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Appears to be cellulitis to me, mostly caused by poor circulation or poor blood return...that doesn't appear to be a simple skin problem to me...but that's just my video observation, not a education opinion after an exam.
It's far too isolated and specific to be systemic, as most allergic or dermatitis reactions are...but again...that's just my guess and something else to consider.

straightline

Ten Pointer
Still waiting on biopsy results but they are leaning towards this. She will be in the hospital for another 3-5 days. Thanks for the thoughts.

f90b9ba2ae4fd0c94c211dc93bec018b.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
At least they've ruled out a simple dermatitis diagnosis and are actively looking elsewhere. Have they done a circulation study on her legs yet ? It sounds like that could be a substantial part of the tentative diagnosis that they are looking at as well.
Prayers sent for healing and comfort, sometimes not knowing is much worse than the actual diagnosis.

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Prayers sent. I have been dealing with a severe shin injury since July 4th. Had to have surgery last week now I have a huge hole on the side of my leg with a wound vac applied to it. I has been a tough month. I still have a ways to go. I pray she gets better soon.

straightline

Ten Pointer
Well weeks later and they're still clueless. Other than some kind of septic ulcer they have no real diagnosis. Could use a few more prayers and well wishes. Thanks.

5b72befac6c254d2740726bf427ab90d.jpg