Plant right now

dirtburn

Four Pointer
After failed spring plots I am eager to get something growing in a couple small plots. Clover and turnips are planned for the bigger plots but I would like to get something in the ground now if possible, does anyone have any recommendations "with cooperation of weather of course" that will work?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
now is the time for plot prep work..I'd wait a few more weeks for seeding the plots. Spray/bush hog or even turn it under now the weeds, you can even add lime at this point to help a bit if needed.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd wait until at least Sept. 1st to seed a fall plot if it was me, but brassicas can be planted in August. If there's rain. Which there's not...

dirtburn

Four Pointer
Being the spring plots failed I am sure of the game for my fall plots, soil test are done and disked in some more like yesterday. I guess I just have the fever!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LOL..if you're really wanting to do some more work, come on over..I've got 4 plots that will have to be replanted due to this darn drought...

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
As tempting as it is its best to wait til September. I'm chomping at the bit myself to get some venison groceries in the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Famous Amos

i was thinking about planting some clover and biologic deer radish in Chatham county this Saturday but I'm thinking that the weather isn't going to cooperate.

country

Ten Pointer
Please plant by recommended dates to give yourself best chance to have a successful food plot. If not you are wasting your time and money.

I just turned over my land for my fall plots this past weekend (clover and wheat). Will disk one more time before I plant in the first week or two of September.

Land preparation and planting time are critical to any food plot success.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you have a source for hardwood ashes, or even pine ashes to a lesser degree..those work great for turnips and are a great source of fertilizer for clover as well.

Combine_corn

Im planting all my fall\winter plots this week. Buckwheat, 9 different brassicas, oats and winter peas

dirtburn

Four Pointer
Yes it is my first year with turnips. I normally do soybeans in that plot but they failed horribly this year so I tried a later crop. Hopefully they do well, I had a couple farmers tell to go ahead and get em in the ground and we had a few good rains

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes it is my first year with turnips. I normally do soybeans in that plot but they failed horribly this year so I tried a later crop. Hopefully they do well, I had a couple farmers tell to go ahead and get em in the ground and we had a few good rains
plant some radishes when you put in your clover, they come up quickly and deer absolutely love them during the fall. I've had spotty luck with them eating the turnip roots, but they will eat the tops pretty well.
You can add the radish seeds to your clover seed and broadcast them at the same time. In our area anything that breaks up the soil a bit helps to give clover a chance to grow in the fall. Our clay soils are tough to get anything established in.

Last edited: