What is this?

buzzcut29

I have a few trees in my side yard that are producing these. What are they and do deer eat them?
5ab579521ae05fb6d65b4ddcea53efb6.jpg

950dd21f4ed82002f4ebab07a2aa12c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hard to tell what it is with those pictures, but the persimmons that typically fall green in my yard have a dull matte finish to the outside and aren't so bright green. Maybe this is a different species of persimmon.
If it's green persimmon I can guar an tee that there won't be any doubt about whether you need a second taste to see if you like them.

buzzcut29

Thanks for the input. I will take some photos tonight of the tree. So... I would assume if they ad falling, they are "ripe" and I can put them out for the deer to munch on?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
the green persimmons around my house are all over the ground, from the drought and the wind of these storms they don't stand much chance at getting ripe this year.
As far as I know I've never seen a bite mark on a green persimmon...and if I have, I'm sure it was only one bite.:D

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
the green persimmons around my house are all over the ground, from the drought and the wind of these storms they don't stand much chance at getting ripe this year.
As far as I know I've never seen a bite mark on a green persimmon...and if I have, I'm sure it was only one bite.:D

Yessir, green ones will make a pig pucker.

Last edited:

buzzcut29

1d75b3a22c7686288890ec0a0008f5d2.jpg

071ab52ed39ea39e1f6931a314a77302.jpg

Here is a picture of the tree.

buzzcut29

Do they get bigger? The persimmon's I've seen are about the size of a tomatoe... I am assuming this is a different variety.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The native variety is about quarter sized and gets dark orange when ripe. It's deer candy and lots of other creatures too.

buzzcut29

Got it, so when they are orange... Pick them and feed the deer...

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
When they turn orange, the deer will be standing on top of each other to pick them before you! :)

buzzcut29

77eb4bde8296febbe664c3212e36c311.jpg
5813e5d31a7a155309599721a3038ce9.jpg
a588f71acd34e05d16f257764ca209b2.jpg

Okay last set of questions! I actually got in and cleared around the tree. It looks like there are 3 total. I am assuming this darker one is just a dead green one...

About what time of year do these turn ripe?

Thanks!!

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
LOL. Makes my jaws hurt just thinking about how sour they are.

Backwoods Bio

Persimmon no doubt. The native species is Diospyros virgiana, which is what you have. The larger persimmons you are referring to are typically Oriental or Japanese persimmon. You will find those in your local grocery store. Our native persimmon actually taste great as well... once they are fully ripened and soft. Fantastic wildlife soft mast food. Period.

buzzcut29

96eded13bdc60e13ecb423251fe54b25.jpg
c86ccbbca6afc45da317b79961ffd227.jpg

How much bigger will they get and when are they ripe? Will they turn orange like the other kind?

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
They don't get very much bigger. They are ripe when they are soft. I have found 3 different types around here: one gets soft but stays green when ripe, another gets orange well before it is soft and ripe, the 3rd ripens and turns orange at the same time.