What lures should I buy?

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Hey guys I recently bought a kayak or fishing and I'm going to take it out tomorrow to chase some specks in a creek that I always see people parked at.. So in assuming the fish are holding there. I'm new to saltwater fishing and just wondered what artificials you would recommend. I bought some jig heads and gulp shrimp in a few different colors but idk if they're hitting shrimp in this cold weather. I also have some artifial mullet and frozen mullet. Should I get some twisty tail grubs or?? Any advice is appreciated!
Also, I know that I should retrieve really slow, but what kind of action should I give it? Do you just twitch it a few times and let it sit for a second or what?

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
IMO the gulp shrimp will be good. As far as the action, I would start with an extremely slow presentation and speed up if that wasn't producing strikes. Good luck!

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Mirrolures........best cold water trout bait there is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Another vote for mirrolures and soft plastics like the redfish magic in electric chicken color. The gulp shrimp should produce as well.

bgbuckdwn

If using the gulp shrimp on a jig head try a dropper loop 6-8in up from the jig and tie on a bare hook and put a gulp minnow or curly tail grub on it, fish it like you would without the extra hook and you'll be surprised how many fish will hit the top hook

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
All good advise. Suspending mirrors lures, gulp with the smallest jig head you can fish with, Bgbuckdown- I have never tried that, pretty much a drop shot rig, good idea! Try to find deep holes and the mouths of creeks. Stay away from north facing banks and focus on dark colored bottom on banks that get morning sun.

F-V_DuxNBux

Eight Pointer
52 or TT nitro lures fished as slow as possible or if you can find some mudminnows, they are like candy to a speck.

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I will definitely be picking up some mirrolures before my next adventure. I didn't have much luck today, but I did get 3 bites that I missed.. (I'm not experienced with artificials yet if you hadn't noticed lol) 2 came from the natural color gulp shrimp and one from the chartreuse swimming mullet.
After some more reading tonight, I believe I was working my baits too fast. All bites came in about 7-10 ft of water.. To my amazement there were some big old fish hitting on top around 11am.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
With a gulp on the jighead in the cold of winter the slower you can work it the better. You can also try and troll some mirrolures and paddle around.

Bruiser

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I will definitely be picking up some mirrolures before my next adventure. I didn't have much luck today, but I did get 3 bites that I missed.. (I'm not experienced with artificials yet if you hadn't noticed lol) 2 came from the natural color gulp shrimp and one from the chartreuse swimming mullet.
After some more reading tonight, I believe I was working my baits too fast. All bites came in about 7-10 ft of water.. To my amazement there were some big old fish hitting on top around 11am.

Great info being shared!!

Keep that line tight, so you can feel that tap. This time of year I'm using 6lb braid with 18-24" leader while trout fishing. Dropper loop with live bait is a game changer!!

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I like the Lil' Fishies, we use the 2" ones Seatrout love em...Black back and white sides, green back and white sides, red back and white sides all work pretty well but the black and whites ones are our favorite..Flounder and other species like them as well..

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Yesterday I went for a few hours just bank fishing a little cove and managed a nice 16" speck and missed another.. Caught him on a white grub with pink curly tail... About 5-6 feet of water
I just picked up some more soft plastics to try for this afternoon when I'm off work

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Curly tail grubs surely work also, we have caught a bunch of Seatrout and Gray's on them. Red and pink tailed grubs with a white body will get other species of fish also, especially Flounder. Living in SC for half a lifetime we caught many more Seatrout on the grubs down there than here, maybe it was the difference in water color or whatever in the places we fished in SC..