When??

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Being new to this whole inshore saltwater thing has me wondering when the fishing will start improving in the creeks and sounds etc. right now it seems like everyone is only catching 1 or 2 if any, because of the cold water.
A guy I talked to a few days ago out fishing said the trout should be starting up good again in about a week or two but that still seems to early to me?

AB1620

Button Buck
I see you're out of Emerald Isle. Right now is one of the best times of the year to catch Drum. They are schooled up and the water is extremely clear in the winter which makes them east to spot.

Scalf

Eight Pointer
I see you're out of Emerald Isle. Right now is one of the best times of the year to catch Drum. They are schooled up and the water is extremely clear in the winter which makes them east to spot.

In the sound..? Or surf or? I'm not asking for specific areas just general areas lol. Shallow water? I might have to give it a go again today

AB1620

Button Buck
Both. Most of the surf fish are in front of Bear Island. Probably dirty in the surf right now after all the wind yesterday. In the Marsh look on the big flats. You will see them if they are there. Go check out Breadman charters on facebook. He fishes down that way and kills them this time of year.

Scalf

Eight Pointer
People I know in your neck of the woods have been catching good fish all winter long.

I'm sure experience definitely helps lol. Yesterday I went to pettiford creek and caught 3 eels but that was it. I'm heading out to queens creek here in a bit with some shrimp I bought from the seafood market yesterday! Hopefully I can find some blacks and or reds

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Reds in the surf the past week with all that wind has it stirred up. I know 2 guys went out from Browns Inlet to the other side of Hammocks Beach, nada, surf was muddy. Another 2 guys went out of Masonboro Inlet up to Lea Island...nada, same muddy conditions. None saw any thing with the wave action and muddy water.

Inside would be a better bet for a few days till the waters clear. The bridge at Queens may hold a few fish, but I understand it has also been slow.

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Reds in the surf the past week with all that wind has it stirred up. I know 2 guys went out from Browns Inlet to the other side of Hammocks Beach, nada, surf was muddy. Another 2 guys went out of Masonboro Inlet up to Lea Island...nada, same muddy conditions. None saw any thing with the wave action and muddy water.

Inside would be a better bet for a few days till the waters clear. The bridge at Queens may hold a few fish, but I understand it has also been slow.

Funny you say that because I anchored for about 3 hours around queens bridge and didn't get a single bite on fresh shrimp. There was a guy fishing from the bank under the bridge with the same results. I also threw some plastics with no luck.. I'm gonna try deer creek tomorrow if the weather cooperates

23mako

Ten Pointer
Don't hesitate this time of year to really paddle around and just make observations. Build a little memory bank for when the warmer weather arrives and you can't see as much.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Depending on what you want to catch the turning basin up at Morehead City might be a better choice..Sea Mullet should show up there soon, March is a good month for them up there..The Wife and I will be taking our boat up there soon..

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Almost any hard structure or Oyster reef is holding good numbers of Black Drum right now. Caught 20 on Monday with 7 nice keepers..... Redfish are around,but might spooky

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you're not fishing the fresh and brackish water for Crappie you are really missing out right now. Throw a roadrunner and hold on!