East coast public land

JD1107

If you see a raft of ducks, likely they are sitting over corn. There are shoals, oyster beds, sunken obstacles. I live on the pamlico and spend 70-90 days per year on the water. This is a dangerous place, especially at dark thirty with a 25 kt NW wind in a small boat. We have had two boats (23-25 ft) sink in front of my house over the last year. One would have drown if not picked up by a barge coming out of Texas Gulf. Jon boats will get you killed here. The coast guard can not get to you fast enough. In 50 degree water, you will die in 10 minutes. Best to hire a guide so you can have a good time and be safe. Im sure the guys here will give you a list of guides.

Just because your hunting with a guide doesn't insure you're gonna be safe. It will put the odds in your favor, but accidents happen all the time. Knowing your limits and not taking dumb risks also helps!

JD1107

Actually was fishing up there yesterday and today in turnagain bay and all of those bays! Looks like a good place to hunt and some nice people there would be even better I noticed the bombing site can I hunt near that or is it all marked off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word of advice James. Anytime someone mentiones a boat ramp as a good place to go and that the locals are real friendly are usually being a smart :donk and is setting you up for trouble. I could be wrong but people don't announce ramps to use on a public forum FYI.

Last edited:

jamesmyers14

Eight Pointer
Word of advice James. Anytime someone mentiones a boat ramp as a good place to go and that the locals are real friendly are usually being a smart :donk and is setting you up for trouble. I could be wrong but people don't announce ramps to use on a public forum FYI.

Oh well dang I have access to private ramp in turnagain bay

skimmer

Six Pointer
Plausible??? No ramps on Turnagain. 1 in long bay which is in a hunting club he may have access to big very doubtful. So that leaves Salters creek and thourofare ramps which are public. Where is the mystery ramp?? Also don't expect a warm welcome down here or wherever your "private" ramp is cause it's not gonna be one...

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Plausible??? No ramps on Turnagain. 1 in long bay which is in a hunting club he may have access to big very doubtful. So that leaves Salters creek and thourofare ramps which are public. Where is the mystery ramp?? Also don't expect a warm welcome down here or wherever your "private" ramp is cause it's not gonna be one...

skimmer, why so hostile? It is public water, you do not own it.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
James, I realize I have been short with you so I will tell you my secret to finding a good place to shoot ducks down east. Make friends with a local and take them deer hunting a few times a year. I have been on some top notch duck hunts in Carteret County by putting folks on deer. My buddies are just as happy to shoot a doe as a buck. A good rabbit hunt goes a long was as well.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

Have you considered that it might be private/residential, and not private and commercial?

I have access to one of those in Wilmington. It isn't open to the public, and as far as I know it isn't on any maps, but it is there.

Building your own low use boat ramp isn't an impossible proposition, and he might know someone that did it.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I am surprised that so many respond to this cyber scouter. These threads will give any duck hunter with Google hope. I do find it quite comical that he has access to everything and everywhere, but still gets on here looking help. If someone is granting you access to use their private ramps, impoundments, ect. you would think you might have learned a little about duck hunting along the way, but it doesn't appear hard work is your cup of tea.

Bet he has a squatted truck as well.............

jamesmyers14

Eight Pointer
I am surprised that so many respond to this cyber scouter. These threads will give any duck hunter with Google hope. I do find it quite comical that he has access to everything and everywhere, but still gets on here looking help. If someone is granting you access to use their private ramps, impoundments, ect. you would think you might have learned a little about duck hunting along the way, but it doesn't appear hard work is your cup of tea.

Bet he has a squatted truck as well.............

I can't drive yet that's why it's hard for me to go to the farm I have access to parents aren't willing to drive me often and brothers in college

damarshall7

Four Pointer
Once a poacher, always a poacher. You guys have to stop helping this poor kid. He doesn't listen and just gets on here and runs his mouth.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
He better have a private ramp. I've seen a lot of flat tires at those "public ramps". And Turnagain Bay is full of corn every year. Good luck.

JD1107

Have you figured it out yet James? Your thread is now up to 2,800 views. Which means 2,800 people now know about Turnagain Bay even though some might have already known about it many didn't. Come October some, not all will be there this season regardless if it's baited up or not because they heard about it in your thread. Your best way to learn about places to hunt is ncwildlife.org or checking county laws and putting in the hours and scouting not asking about it on a public forum. It's a lot of work but in the end when it all comes together it's well worth it.

Last edited:

blindsided

Have you figured it out yet James? Your thread is now up to 2,800 views. Which means 2,800 people now know about Turnagain Bay even though some might have already known about it many didn't. Come October some, not all will be there this season regardless if it's baited up or not because they heard about it in your thread. Your best best to learn about places to hunt is ncwildlife.org or checking county laws and putting in the hours and scouting not asking about it on a public forum. It's a lot of work but in the end when it all comes together it's well worth it.

You won't catch me near the east coast! Sounds like a very unfriendly place......

EGrdneck

Not unfriendly....just don't take kind to stupid people....I hunt with some friends down at the coast every year...first met at the ramp, first words out of my mouth were " I don't want to screw your hunt up, I'm new here" what followed was them giving me some local wisdom on do's amd dont's now we meet up and hunt together sometimes.... realize that when you come down east you are a tourist.....in the hunting sense....how would you like it if you went to your swamp one morning and done good, then come next weekend you show up amd find out your 10th in line to a bunch of school boys who blasted it up all week while you were working? You'd be pissed too

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
You won't catch me near the east coast! Sounds like a very unfriendly place......

The folks down east are some of the best people I know and would give you the shirt off their back. That said they fight tooth and nail to keep their way of life.