Dan River smallmouth question

Troutfisher30

I fished Dan River at the hanging rock access without much luck today (3pm is not prime time at all but I took what I could get) what are some good artificial baits to throw in this river for smallmouth? I tried a white twisty tail worm and rooster tails and joeflies

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I catch a few on rooster tails while trout fishing farther up the river sometimes. When I fish the Dan for smallmouth I use a 4" lizard. They are there, just gotta work for them. Hope you can get on some the next time you go.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Troutfisher30

Stay away from the kayak/tube floatilla for best results.

I could see that for sure. I'm still new to fishing the Dan, should I focus further north toward the state line and south of moratock?

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
My Dad has taken my boys before around Moratock and they have caught a few small ones. They were fishing for whatever would bite(using worms). I've fished a few times through the Pine Hall area and have caught some. I know some people who have caught some near Madison. I personally have had better results up above Fransisco near the Va. line.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Small crankbaits, 1/8 oz spinnerbaits, floating Rapalas and Husky Jerks, 3" curly-tail grubs on a 1/4 oz jighead, Rebel crawfish, 4" zoom lizards, many others. Smallmouth aren't all that picky.

Biggin

Four Pointer
We use minnows. We sane net right were going fish . Went two weekend and caughtalot . Also caught rock bass . There are there just got know we're .

bigbkhnter

I could see that for sure. I'm still new to fishing the Dan, should I focus further north toward the state line and south of moratock?

Haven't fished it in a long time, but I would stay north and I always had good luck with small artificial lizards. I believe pumpkin seed is the color I always used when I fished it.

Troutfisher30

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I'm definitely going to give it another shot this weekend. The worst that could happen is the fish don't cooperate and I get to enjoy peace and quiet in God's beautiful creation!

Last edited by a moderator:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
We use minnows. We sane net right were going fish . Went two weekend and caughtalot . Also caught rock bass . There are there just got know we're .

Said it on here before but I guess everybody wants to lure fish. Smallmouth are one of the the easiest fish to catch I've ever fished for with live bait. A live stoneroller hooked through the lips is the closest thing to "fish crack" I've ever seen.................

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Said it on here before but I guess everybody wants to lure fish. Smallmouth are one of the the easiest fish to catch I've ever fished for with live bait. A live stoneroller hooked through the lips is the closest thing to "fish crack" I've ever seen.................

I used to catch some really big smallmouth downlining big live creek chubs for flatheads in some of the lakes around here.