Anyone ever fished the nantahala for salmon

bigbkhnter

Headed up that way in a couple weeks and would like to give this a shot.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
From "the" Nantahala, I assume you mean the river? They won't be in the river. They only go up in during the spawning run, and I hear that they won't bite hardly then. Some folks catch them deep trolling in the lake.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There used to be a guy named Raxter who guided on Nantahala.......I haven't heard from him in several years so I don't know if he's still doing it. He's a retired wildlife tech with the NPS and knows the Lake better than just about anybody.

It would probably be a waste of time to try for salmon without a knowledgeable guide. Prepare to fish about 60-80' deep for a 2 lb fish!!

You may have to do a search on Nantahala Lake guides to find anyone. There are a few places which offer accommodation so they may have knowledge of a guide.

Good luck & welcome to WNC........while you're in that area be sure to ride the Great Smokey Mt Railroad from Bryson City around Fontana Lake to the Nantahala River Gorge. The water in the River comes out of Nantahala Lake (it's a power generating lake)!!

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
There used to be a guy named Raxter who guided on Nantahala.......I haven't heard from him in several years so I don't know if he's still doing it. He's a retired wildlife tech with the NPS and knows the Lake better than just about anybody.

It would probably be a waste of time to try for salmon without a knowledgeable guide. Prepare to fish about 60-80' deep for a 2 lb fish!!

You may have to do a search on Nantahala Lake guides to find anyone. There are a few places which offer accommodation so they may have knowledge of a guide.

Good luck & welcome to WNC........while you're in that area be sure to ride the Great Smokey Mt Railroad from Bryson City around Fontana Lake to the Nantahala River Gorge. The water in the River comes out of Nantahala Lake (it's a power generating lake)!!
Yea me and my family did that this past week- chilly water