Alpha-gal Allergy

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well after being diagnosed with rmsf a couple weeks ago now the little pest (being nice) are responsible for another problem. Mouth has been itching and swelling off and on for about a month. Sometimes throat itches along with other symptoms. Doctors took me off doxycycline thinking I was allergic. I knew I was having a reaction to something because only relief I got was taking benadryl. Doctors kept changing meds and basically told me to ride it out as all symtoms coming from meds and rmsf.

Riding it out wasn't working. Notice episodes were getting worse. My wife mentioned red meat allergies, but honestly I refused to listen because I didn't want it to be true. Well wound up in emergency room after Benadryl didn't work. Itching all over, lips and tongue swelling and couldnt breathe. It almost takes a gun to my head to go to er. Luckily wife insisted. Treated me immediately for anaphylaxis. Ran some test and doctor comes to give me results. No more red meat. So now I get to go through a life changing experience. A road I honestly not looking forward to traveling. But I know many got it worse and would change places with me in a heart beat. So I'll take it one day at a time.

Arrow Slinger

Old Mossy Horns
Had the same thing. After a year of no meat, I tried some, had no issues since. I would break out in a rash and itch to high heaven, not quite the reactions you were having. Doctors could never figure it out, my wife and I figured out it was meat. Never knew why until reading a magazine and she comes across an article about it, and that's exactly what I have. This was years ago and I have had no ill effects since. Hopefully your results will end up like mine and you'll be able to enjoy a steak!!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its my understanding that a lot of people who develop this red meat allergy do not continue to have symptoms for the rest of their lives. I guess it depends on how sensitive each individual is to the allergen involved. I have read about people like Arrow Slinger who contracted RMSF, and after a period of time (sometimes years), were symptom-free. Lets hope that's the case for you, too.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had the same thing. After a year of no meat, I tried some, had no issues since. I would break out in a rash and itch to high heaven, not quite the reactions you were having. Doctors could never figure it out, my wife and I figured out it was meat. Never knew why until reading a magazine and she comes across an article about it, and that's exactly what I have. This was years ago and I have had no ill effects since. Hopefully your results will end up like mine and you'll be able to enjoy a steak!!

I hope so. I was in denial even though in the back of mind I thought it might be. I absolutely love meat. Eat way more than I should. So out of all things was hoping it wasn't this, but is so life goes on. Hopefully mine will phase out as well. Thanks guys.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
KTMan, I was diagnosed with rmsf a little over two weeks ago, took the last doxycycline pill on the 4th. Did you have headaches and joint aches?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
KTMan, I was diagnosed with rmsf a little over two weeks ago, took the last doxycycline pill on the 4th. Did you have headaches and joint aches?

Had it last fall and yes on both. joint pain was terrible for me

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is a tough one. I bet you lose a few pounds in the coming months though. Keep us posted long term. I would be interested to see if it goes away eventually.

I've been threatening some friends with the idea of a red-meat allergy when they mention finding ticks on them. Some of them still don't spray their clothes like they should.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
This thread is one of the best advertisements for permethrin as I can imagine. I won't go into the deer woods in the South before a hard frost without it.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Headaches were miled but constant. Joint pain I felt like I was hit by a truck. Hope you get better

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This thread is one of the best advertisements for permethrin as I can imagine. I won't go into the deer woods in the South before a hard frost without it.

I agree. But I treat my clothes. I treat my whole yard and around pond. But still going to get a few here and there. I get less off me in a year and I use an average day of turkey hunting. Thing is it only takes the right one. He found me

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wow that sucks... glad they figured out what was causing the reactions. I've got a little one that has severe allergies to some sort of nut. It is so scary seeing his face start to break out and not know how bad it will get and if the Benadryl will work or if we have to use the Epi-pen.

Speaking of Epi-Pens...Did they give you a prescription for an Epi-pen?

Hope it goes away like it has in others.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've had a few get through layers of permethrin soaked clothes. The best I can figure is they fell on my neck and made it downwards. I have started wearing a skin tight undershirt and pants that have been treated.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I think I would ask for a renewable supply of epipens and continue eating meat. If it killed me ok. That's better than a life as a vegan.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No epi pen. Wants me to follow up with regular doc. Pharmist was also very surprised.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I think I would ask for a renewable supply of epipens and continue eating meat. If it killed me ok. That's better than a life as a vegan.

Tip, we have a guy at work that has the worst case of this allergy ever known to medicine [the docs have passed him around to study him], he can still eat fowl, fish, turtle, snake, frogs legs, oysters, other shellfish and any other non-mammalian meat. So you can find a way to survive. He cannot have dairy though and that alone would kill me.
As for the bushel basket of epi-pens, it don't work like that for him. He has said that he would rather fight Mike Tyson bare-fisted than eat a bite of steak.
I just bought a quart of 36.6% Permethrin a few weeks ago and I will be soaking even my boots with .7% mix this year.

Last edited:

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Tip, we have a guy at work that has the worst care of this allergy ever known to medicine [the docs have passed him around to study him], he can still eat fowl, fish, turtle, snake, frogs legs, oysters, other shellfish and any other non-mammalian meat. So you can find a way to survive. He cannot have dairy though and that alone would kill me.
As for the bushel basket of epi-pens, it don't work like that for him. He has said that he would rather fight Mike Tyson bare-fisted than eat a bite of steak.
I just bought a quart of 36.6% Permethrin a few weeks ago and I will be soaking even my boots with .7% mix this year.

I know it could be worse. The tough thing is about 3-4 night a week our meals consist of venison. I've read articles and seen how each person affected differently. From as mild as to only beef up to can't even be around if red meat being cooked.

Right now they don't want me to any mammalian meat or by products. Basically wants me to read every label and avoid restaraunts. Got an appointment mid August at chapel hill. Doctor suppose to be a leading authority on this diesease. Will be running a bunch of test to see what I can or cannot have.

Lot of want I been reading shows lot of patient can still do by products and many can hanle venison. Hope I at fall into this group. Getting ready to live on the edge and add some creamer to my coffee

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns

I'd have to at least try it anyway..a life without ribeyes, bacon, and cheese...I shudder at the thought!

I wish you the best KTMan!

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That just plain out sucks !...sorry to hear that and I sure hope it's temporary....very temporary.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No epi pen. Wants me to follow up with regular doc. Pharmist was also very surprised.

Wow that's odd. I would just call your primary and see if he can write a prescription for a 2pak. Surprised the ER doc didn't even write one.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Gso

Primary doctor called epi prescription in. Asked also why er doctor didn't?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We keep an Epi or 2 here in our primary med kit, and no one here is allergic to anything that we know of. They aren't cheap though.

Cocked & Locked

Four Pointer
Old thread back to the top.

I was recently diagnosed with red-meat allergy aka alpha-gal syndrome. I too thought what? We eat venison here as our main red meat source...was told by Doc to STOP...got my attention. He prescribed EPIPEN and said keep one with me. Still trying to figure out best way to carry the dang thing.

The allergy is specific to red meat only...beef, venison, pork, goat, moose, elk, etc., etc. Seafood, turkey, chicken and dairy products OK.

My symptoms were hives, itching, swollen lips, mouth, nasal cavity, swelling behind eyes, difficulty breathing through nose but no problem breathing through mouth, etc, etc.

This is caused by a bite from the Lone Star Tick. And yes I use Permethrin and have prior to it being available in NC...at least never saw any here. Bought my first at a Texas gun store in late 1980's-early 1990's.

http://www.today.com/health/tick-bites-linked-rising-number-meat-allergies-t84821

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy

http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/meat-allergy

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Was at our property in VA and put a camo screen around the golf cart. It was loaded with Lone star ticks. That seems to be all I see nowadays.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I'd go insane if I couldn't eat red meats. More power to you guys getting past all of this and I hope I never experience it.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'd go insane if I couldn't eat red meats. More power to you guys getting past all of this and I hope I never experience it.

Not really a matter of will power but survival mode. I will say it sucks. I started new treatment two months ago. Seeing progress already. Doctor is really pleased. Is going to let me try small amounts do deer meat (tenderloin only) this month. Starting to at least feel a little better each day.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Not really a matter of will power but survival mode. I will say it sucks. I started new treatment two months ago. Seeing progress already. Doctor is really pleased. Is going to let me try small amounts do deer meat (tenderloin only) this month. Starting to at least feel a little better each day.

Glad to hear you're feeling a little better. Even with my damaged sense of taste/smell doing without red meats would be just awful to me. Hope you can get back to it in some way eventually.