I Need Help ASAP!!!

Tanner

We are going to stay at some friends house at the beach, and they have a small creek behind their house. They have seen people fishing in this creek, but i am not sure what type of fish they are going for. Any advice on what type of fish the creek might have, and what type of lures I would need. Their house is in Wilmington by the way.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Most likely redfish, trout, and flounder. Most of your bass stuff will work, live bait will work as well. On low tides you should be able to see the wakes of the fish if they are in shallow enough water.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you want to use artificial, I would start with some 1/4-3/8 oz. jigheads and some Gulp swimming mullet (pearl white) on a bass sized spinning rod.

Even better would be to take a cast net, catch some mullet, and put them on a carolina rig. That will catch whatever is there.

Since you said "at the beach" I am assuming this is saltwater, even though this is the freshwater forum.

Last edited:

Tanner

If you want to use artificial, I would start with some 1/4-3/8 oz. jigheads and some Gulp swimming mullet (pearl white) on a bass sized spinning rod.

Even better would be to take a cast net, catch some mullet, and put them on a carolina rig. That will catch whatever is there.

Since you said "at the beach" I am assuming this is saltwater, even though this is the freshwater forum.

Ok thanks, i am not 100 percent sure if it is salt water or fresh water.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
if its near the beach in Wilmington it is most likely salt. No to many freshwater spots unless its actually closer to the river. No need to go run to the store for specific baits for a short trip. Just bring you bass stuff and fish the area like you would for bass. Redfish, trout, flounder, and black drum will all hit bass lures. Gold spoons, any variety of topwater, carolina rigs with live bait, jerk baits will all work.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Near Wilmington, not the ocean. That is brackish. Not saltwater, not fresh water. You will find a little of both. Like Wildlifer said, fish it like you bass fish.

Boojum

Ten Pointer

x2 on the 4" gulp swimming mullet in pearl white on a 1/4 oz red jig head. Have caught many, many redfish, trout, flounder and other species on these, along with freshwater fish.

Last edited:

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
....and rinse your equipment thoroughly with fresh water after each use.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
We are going to stay at some friends house at the beach, and they have a small creek behind their house. They have seen people fishing in this creek, but i am not sure what type of fish they are going for. Any advice on what type of fish the creek might have, and what type of lures I would need. Their house is in Wilmington by the way.

Most creeks end up in the ocean sooner or later around here so the water will probably be brackish. Live bait is your best bet and whoever said watch out for gators wasn't kidding.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gulp flukes and minnows will pretty much catch anything that swims that's big enough to bite them, the Gulp shrimp will catch fish as small or smaller than the bait. Pretty handy stuff to have in your tackle box, regardless of the species of fish targeted.