When to take out the beaver dam

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Got word of a swamp on the property but when I went to check it out the Beavers have built their wall and stopped the flow into the big part. While scouting it I located a woodie and her babies just above the wall. I want to clear out the grass below the dam and flood the swamp again. When should I knock the dam down? Will it affect the the ducks above the dam or think they will just move into the big part when it floods.

Last edited:

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I didn't see any sign of recent activity so not sure if its just an old dam. Will take care of them if I do see them. I'm a little more worried about the huge cotton mouth that popped up by my feet while by the dam. Will definitely be bringing some bird shot next time.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
You need to go read my thread. Literally just went through the same thing Saturday. You cant just get in there and knock the dam down like its an anthill. You take pick axes, shovels, machetes, and 50 gallons of elbow grease and sweat and dig a big trench in it so water starts to flow. Once the trench through the dam is deep enough you install a but drain pipe. The beavers will come back that night and repair their dam but they wont know the pipe is draining water. Thats the short of it. Look of Clemson Leveler.

Its hard work..

Oh and by the way. This is NOT a 1 man job.

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
...and it there is a LOT of water behind the dam, and is a deep creek on the downstream side, you might want to wear a life jacket. You would not be the first person to head downstream with his hat bobbing on the water because of a strong current of water knocking him off his feet.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I've seen multiple levels of dams almost like a lock system. Would be nice if tearing down the one dam caused them to build up and give you two places to hunt.

skydog

Got word of a swamp on the property but when I went to check it out the Beavers have built their wall and stopped the flow into the big part. While scouting it I located a woodie and her babies just above the wall. I want to clear out the grass below the dam and flood the swamp again. When should I knock the dam down? Will it affect the the ducks above the dam or think they will just move into the big part when it floods.

I may be missing something here but why clear out the grass below the dam? Native moist soil grasses= duck food. Let the stuff grow up this summer then flood it (and put it in a Clemson leveler type rig) as we get closer to the season. I would be surprised if the beavers have moved on so like others said, simply busting the dam isn't going to do anything for you.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
The grass is really high (like over the head high) just want to take pieces out so it opens a landing space. Usually just find swamps and hunt them but this just seems over grown. I asked some other people to help because I know it won't be a one person job just waiting on response or seeing if they think i'll do all the work.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Like others said, I had a dam in an area I thought the beavers had quit using. Took a mini excavator and tore it down. It was probably 100 ft across and 4 ft deep in some areas. They had it built back in 2 days, TWO DAYS! It looked like I never done anything. So unless you control the beavers you might be wasting your time.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
maybe i'll just forget about that swamp and just hunt the tiny section of it. Did have a woody and her babies so others my try and use it to. I guess ill scout during bow season.