Another guy looking for a dove field

spittinfire

Six Pointer
Same ole song and dance about this time of here but I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.

I'm looking for a dove field to hunt. It's been a number of years since I've been able to dove hunt but always had fun doing it and would like to get back into it. I'm willing to help with the field or trade some labor for the use of a field....if you need help with something let me know.
I'm in Denver so I'm open to anything within an hour or so.

Thanks guys.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
The change in starting time pretty much ended dove hunting for me. I used to have a good setup over near Benson, a long drive but I'd usually go the day before and stay with my uncle, cousins would congregate and we'd drive up to the farm, have a light lunch prepared by the farmer's wife, have a prayer and hit the field. With the daylight start time it takes too much time to drive up from Lumberton to get into the field and be a part of the early shooting. End result is you have lots of shooters limiting out early and going home and the remainder can't cover the field properly.

There used to be a pasture shoot here near Gastonia I'd go to on occasion. It was across the road from a sunflower field which was planted for a private shoot and you got respectable passing bird opportunity. Last time I went there I was down in the lower pasture covering a gap in the treeline and as the day progressed the shooting from up near the road picked up and began to sound like a small war at times. I wasn't seeing that kind of action so curiosity finally got the best of me and I humped it up the hill to where I could see a line of shooters about 25 yards apart on average all the way down the fence line and every unfortunate dove which came anywhere within 75 yards of that fence had to run the gauntlet or fly straight across and get the full barrage of 5 to 8 guns.

The thing which sent me home in the end was a couple of guys in lawn chairs backed up near the fence and their butts parked under a huge camo patio umbrella while one of them's wife lay stretched out on a chaise lounge chair resplendent in a Carolina blue bikini. As a hunter I have difficulty getting that overall image out of my head. Needless to say I never went back there.

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The change in starting time pretty much ended dove hunting for me. I used to have a good setup over near Benson, a long drive but I'd usually go the day before and stay with my uncle, cousins would congregate and we'd drive up to the farm, have a light lunch prepared by the farmer's wife, have a prayer and hit the field. With the daylight start time it takes too much time to drive up from Lumberton to get into the field and be a part of the early shooting. End result is you have lots of shooters limiting out early and going home and the remainder can't cover the field properly.

There used to be a pasture shoot here near Gastonia I'd go to on occasion. It was across the road from a sunflower field which was planted for a private shoot and you got respectable passing bird opportunity. Last time I went there I was down in the lower pasture covering a gap in the treeline and as the day progressed the shooting from up near the road picked up and began to sound like a small war at times. I wasn't seeing that kind of action so curiosity finally got the best of me and I humped it up the hill to where I could see a line of shooters about 25 yards apart on average all the way down the fence line and every unfortunate dove which came anywhere within 75 yards of that fence had to run the gauntlet or fly straight across and get the full barrage of 5 to 8 guns.

The thing which sent me home in the end was a couple of guys in lawn chairs backed up near the fence and their butts parked under a huge camo patio umbrella while one of them's wife lay stretched out on a chaise lounge chair resplendent in a Carolina blue bikini. As a hunter I have difficulty getting that overall image out of my head. Needless to say I never went back there.
You a duke fan?