Ocracoke

23mako

Ten Pointer
Going to the enchanted Island of Ocracoke next week. Planning on getting an ORV permit at this point but still up in the air depending on closures.

How does the Ocracoke beach do on a NE wind? Looks like that is foretasted starting Monday.

Gonna stop by Tradewinds when I get there. Anyone got any other tips (not even fishing related) that they would like to share?

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Going to the enchanted Island of Ocracoke next week. Planning on getting an ORV permit at this point but still up in the air depending on closures.

How does the Ocracoke beach do on a NE wind? Looks like that is foretasted starting Monday.

Gonna stop by Tradewinds when I get there. Anyone got any other tips (not even fishing related) that they would like to share?

Thank you kindly.

Been way too long since I made it to that special place, however you are on the right track by stopping at Tradewinds.

Based on memory the fisherman like the south or southeast wind for the big drum. There should be something biting on the North east wind. If Southpoint is open that is where we always spent a lot of time.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Thanks Pirate. The southern end definitely looks interesting. Gonna take a few heavers, as well as try to catch some mullet and pomps.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
4a7a6afd678f2aeb7ce20e3c9177658c.jpg

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I'll be just north of you next week in Buxton. A NE wind is a good thing there, as long as it is not a 20+ knotter NE gale. A 5-12 MPH NE wind is a good thing on Hatteras Island north of the Point. Any wind with a "west" is generally not a good fishing wind. However, IMO any wind below a gale is a fishing wind and I will be out there soaking bait.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the intel guys. nchunter, where did you snag that info from? I am not on the facebooks.

Last edited:

h2ohhh

Button Buck
If you are fishing for reds the rougher the better. Cast net some finger mullet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Last time I fished the beach at the mouth of the inlet on a NE wind and the current and waves were rolling our rigs back up to the beach as fast as we could crank usually tangled up in a ball of green weed. That was in early October and we finally gave up and went just around the point in the inlet to get out of the conditions. Hope you have some luck.

Jaimes

Four Pointer
I'm from Ocracoke your on the right track. Stop by Tradewinds talk to Allen or Jimmy they won't steer u wrong! Most all the Drive overs should be open for beach access. NE wind- find a slough somewhere close to South point, but not to close to where the shoals extend on out. Catch Fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23mako

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately there was just too much grass in the water to fish with bait. Didn't see or hear of anyone havin much luck either. Always next time!

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately there was just too much grass in the water to fish with bait. Didn't see or hear of anyone havin much luck either. Always next time!

Hate when that happens. Another trip needed for sure