Lost My Hunting Property - HELP!!

Jawhn

Button Buck
I live in Fayetteville. For the past 7 years I've hunted near Reaford, in Hoke Co. on some private land. I've had good overall success there and even killed a couple of big ones last year. During the 2nd week of archery season (I bowhunt all year), I was informed the property had been sold and I would needed to stop hunting immediately. I've been frantically looking for a new place to hunt, but so far, I've been pretty disappointed. I've knocked on a bunch of doors, with no luck. I've checked out Nicholson Creek and Rockfish Creek Game Lands (4 full days of scouting). Found some decent habitat on the Game Lands (lots of pines, cut overs and even some clusters of White Oaks with acorns on the ground. Found some pretty heavy Turkey sign in one place, but almost no deer sign (a few tracks and a couple of droppings, total for both Game lands. I've seen the low harvest statistics for these Game lands. Are there that few deer there? I have been Bowhunting for 30 years and usually can only hunt on weekends. I hunt hard (in stand from before daylight until after dark). Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Ft. Bragg is NOT an option (I've tied in the past and I HATED it).

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
They have done a lot of logging around those gamelands, may have an impact. I would figure there was a good deer population there. My buddy lives right down the road and sees deer all the time.
Woodmoose would have a better take on those GL,s.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Right there with you...luckily still have my 18ac to hunt, and a spot to hunt once in a while in Mocksville.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
got your PM - I'll shoot you some info

but Fort Bragg is your best option,,,,,,100k acres of public land

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
got your PM - I'll shoot you some info

but Fort Bragg is your best option,,,,,,100k acres of public land
I use to hunt Bragg all the time. Lots of areas to chose to hunt. Troop training areas do slim down spots but holidays opens up all kind of great places.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use to hunt Bragg all the time. Lots of areas to chose to hunt. Troop training areas do slim down spots but holidays opens up all kind of great places.

Yep. & some nice deer.. I've had several customers that are army & hunt bragg, show me pics & videos of bucks they have seen out there..

ncturkeyhunter

I live in Fayetteville. For the past 7 years I've hunted near Reaford, in Hoke Co. on some private land. I've had good overall success there and even killed a couple of big ones last year. During the 2nd week of archery season (I bowhunt all year), I was informed the property had been sold and I would needed to stop hunting immediately. I've been frantically looking for a new place to hunt, but so far, I've been pretty disappointed. I've knocked on a bunch of doors, with no luck. I've checked out Nicholson Creek and Rockfish Creek Game Lands (4 full days of scouting). Found some decent habitat on the Game Lands (lots of pines, cut overs and even some clusters of White Oaks with acorns on the ground. Found some pretty heavy Turkey sign in one place, but almost no deer sign (a few tracks and a couple of droppings, total for both Game lands. I've seen the low harvest statistics for these Game lands. Are there that few deer there? I have been Bowhunting for 30 years and usually can only hunt on weekends. I hunt hard (in stand from before daylight until after dark). Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Ft. Bragg is NOT an option (I've tied in the past and I HATED it).

Why is it that all the new members are always looking for new land, after losing the lease? Do your homework like everyone else.

Jawhn

Button Buck
Why is it that all the new members are always looking for new land, after losing the lease? Do your homework like everyone else.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. It wasn't a lease (I don't make enough to lease land). Also it happened after the season started (I've spent the last 7 years "doing my homework" on that piece of property. I'm not asking anyone to put me in their favorite stand, just point me in the right direction. If this comes across harsh, I apologize, it's not meant that way.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah Nchunt gets a lot of new guys just looking for land to hunt....... That's a service that the website does provide. Unfortunately most on here already have land to hunt and know few who has extra land to share.

Jawhn

Button Buck
Thanks for the help guys! After several people suggested it, I"m giving Ft Bragg another look. Their new sign in/out seems much easier than it used to be. The Archery Only areas look promising, as do the QDMA areas. Any helpful pointers? What kind of crowds can I expect? I do not have a 4X4.

Last edited:

Jawhn

Button Buck
Anyone know the locations of the sign in\out KIOSK'S for Ft Bragg (Please be specific)? I know the ones at the Hunting\Fishing Ctr. and Ranger Station #2.

Last edited:

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Anyone know the locations of the sign in\out KIOSK'S for Ft Bragg (Please be specific)? I know the ones at the Hunting\Fishing Ctr. and Ranger Station #2.
Did you end up hunting Fort Bragg? If so, how was it? I hunted there years back but also gave up because of the travel time needed for checking in and out. The new process looks great so I just signed back up to try it again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

With 284 post you are not exactly a seasoned veteran to the site........Are you a smartass all the time or was this just a bad day? He didn't deserve that.

basswrangler

With 284 post you are not exactly a seasoned veteran to the site........Are you a smartass all the time or was this just a bad day? He didn't deserve that.

My thoughts exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Get a few hunting buddies together, go see a attorney, tell him you want to buy some hunting land together and have him set up a simple buy/sell agreement...Then you fellows go in together and buy you a nice piece of land to hunt...When one wants out, or passes, the rest either pay him the preset price or bring another member in and let him pay...It's not going to get any easier to find places to hunt in North Carolina guys...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Get a few hunting buddies together, go see a attorney, tell him you want to buy some hunting land together and have him set up a simple buy/sell agreement...Then you fellows go in together and buy you a nice piece of land to hunt...When one wants out, or passes, the rest either pay him the preset price or bring another member in and let him pay...It's not going to get any easier to find places to hunt in North Carolina guys...

wise words,,,,,,,,,,,

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's right . Folks are going to quit hunting because they have no place to hunt.

Southern

Ten Pointer

Good advice, I agree. However, in 20+ years of being a hunting land broker all over North Carolina, I have had exactly 2 deals that worked out where "Me and my buddies" was spoken in the first 5 seconds of the first phone call and both of those ended up being only 2 individuals. It is bad enough to get a group together for a lease but when I hear those words now, I generally start requiring bank statements before I go any further.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
That type of deal does exist. There was a piece of property up this way, just across the border in VA back in '94. 1100 wooded acers with ag fields. Ten guys from down toward Durham went in at 30K each and bought the property and set up their hunting club. They renovated the old house that was on the property and made a very nice clubhouse. Each guy and a 1/10 share in the place. Right now the property is valued at 1.3 million and they have cut timber off of it in various areas over time, probably 3 times. Seems to have been a pretty good investment.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sent ya a PM on a couple spots I used to have figured out to at least put some meat on the ground,