Skylar first buck with a compound Ya'll think it may be Pope and Young?

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First off, I want to thank brownisdown for giving Skylar this compound bow a couple of years ago. She has practiced relentlessly with it. We took it to Ronnie at Sports Center in Denton shortly after we got it, he set it up for her. Then last month we took it back and he moved the pounds up to I think 45 pounds. Her practice, Ronnie's knowledge and brownisdown generosity all made this memory for both of us. Thanks

Skylar, my step grandson Noah and I finally got around to a weekend hunt. Skylars first stand was in some deep woods with acorns. She saw a 9 pointer, two smaller bucks and 7 does. Nothing but a doe came close enough for a shot which she didn't take. The next morning finds her on the same stand, bad wind so she calls me about 0800 and I pick her up. So we baited and pull cameras cards where we saw that this nice buck coming in during the daylight hours.

After seeing him, Skylar was fired up so she went in to fix her a place to hunt at about 1 pm Sunday afternoon. We didn't have a stand close enough for a bow shot, so she sat in a briar patch, stretched a piece of camo netting in front of her. That still didn't suit her, so she broke some large weeds in the cow pasture and stuck them in front of her. She sat there and watched a doe with twin fawns for a little while.

About 5 pm or so she looked up from her phone (yes I have told her) and the buck was standing broadside at 10 yards just inside the food plot fence staring at her. She said that she looked at the buck's head one time, then concentrated on the shot. He put his head down and she drew. She shot and saw the arrow strike behind his shoulder and stick in. He mule kicked both back legs and ran. She called me, so excited she couldn't hardly talk. She said, "I got him, I got the big one" I told her to it down, I would get over to her as soon as I could. I took my time and got to her about an hour later. I wanted her to calm down and the buck to lay down. So we only had a few drops of blood so I called a friend of mine and he came down from Denton to help track it since I had forgotten my flashlights. When he arrived it was about 2 hours since Skylar had shot.

We tracked very little blood until about 9 pm when we ran out of blood completely so we called it quits for the night. After getting the okay for Skylar and Noah to miss school today we started back in about 8:00 am. Ten minutes into the hunt Noah spots his white belly lying in an open spot in a small grownup field. We had tracked blood to within 50 yards of him last night. We looked for the arrow and never found it. I won't let Skylar hunt another evening hunt with out her Luminox inserts I had forgotten to put in the arrows.

He was soon field dressed in hopes of saving some meat and he was on the way back to Lexington. After we skinned him, Skylar had hit right behind the shoulder about 4 inches down from the spine. She had cut the top of the heart and destroyed the lungs. I was surprised the 100 grain Muzzy could do that, but him running with the arrow in him may have done some of the damage.

Can some of you guys help me on the scoring? I am thinking he may be close to Pope and Young gross but maybe a little short net. He is 19 3/8" inside, 22" outside. His longest tine is 9" his kicker is 4".

And Skylar wants to use her last buck tag on this one. He is coming in a few mornings about daylight and a couple evenings also. I think he may be in the 140's? What do yall think? That is a piece of velvet hanging off the antler. This is the only decent straightaway shot I have. Thanks

I am pretty sure Noah saw this buck Saturday evening but it was to far away.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
That girl has killed some nice deer and now a great one with the bow!

Congrats!!

rustvyper

Ten Pointer
His tine length will leave him short of p&y, but that's a great buck! I certainly wasn't killing ones like that at her age, much less with a bow.
He'll score right at 120, possibly right under that.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Beautiful buck, congrads to the team but especially the young huntress. Very impressive.

SUGARTOWNTAXIDERMY

Ten Pointer
That is sweet! Please tell her congrats from me! I still remember the cute little girl, but she is growing up too fast!

Last edited:

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
Wow! She has topped a lot of veteran archery hunters already. Congrats to her and to you for keeping her interested in the outdoors.
Tough to say from pics but P&Y would have to be net score and I am no expert but I just don't see it.
Hope she gets the other stud too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This makes me happier than you could ever imagine! That bow was my first bow ever and the one I killed my first archery deer with. My wife still talks about the hug Skylar gave her when she met you all with the bow. This post made my night!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

huntnheel

Ten Pointer
This makes me happier than you could ever imagine! That bow was my first bow ever and the one I killed my first archery deer with. My wife still talks about the hug Skylar gave her when she met you all with the bow. This post made my night!

Stuff like this is what makes this site so good! Congrats to Skylar on an amazing deer and to you, poppop. Great memories!
heel

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks everyone. Skylar told me that shooting that buck with a bow is the greatest thrill she ever had deer hunting. She said there was nothing like it. I am guessing that she might bowhunt more than she gun hunts. We have never looked at our hunting land from a bow hunters perspective but we have so many places that we didn't want to lug ladder stands to will make awesome archery setups. I have been buying those Cadillacs Porta climbing stands when I find them. We have enough to put them on different setups and leave them all season.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
His tine length will leave him short of p&y, but that's a great buck! I certainly wasn't killing ones like that at her age, much less with a bow.
He'll score right at 120, possibly right under that.

I agree with this- great buck!

killa_cam11

Four Pointer
Congrats to her on a dandy bow buck! Many people hunt their whole life without killing a deer that big, much less with a bow.