Deal?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Picked up this 17' Grumman today for hunting and fishing local creeks. I've got one spot where family owns the land on both sides of a small little gut/tributary that runs out into a larger creek, which coincidentally has always produced some nice speckled trout. Either my short recurve or the .54 Renegade will be in the boat with the fishing gear too I'm thinkin......

Solid boat, no leaks, and no problem loading it into my Dodge by myself. After a little bit of horse trading and a trip to Wally World for a paddle, a small anchor and line, I've probably got a Franklin in it.

Heck, I'll have that much fun out of it the first time I launch it if it just makes it out to the main creek and back.....

View attachment 52609New canoe.jpg

23mako

Ten Pointer
Looks good to me! If ya ever need a hand doing some research on the local speck population let me know! :)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I see that someone has already put some padding in that boat, I was gonna suggest carpet padding added when you're trying to fish. Those things can telegraph a long ways on the water when you're trying to be sneaky.
Sounds like an excellent deal on a great boat, congrads.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks Eric Revo, yeah, I threw that in there. Done a lot of bass fishing from aluminum boats, they can get some kinda noisy. Think maybe I'm gonna look for an old rubber mat from a truck bed or something of the like.

Anybody ever sprayed any rubberized undercoating in one?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Dang, you got a sweet deal there, i have 5 canoes 4 poyethelyne and 1 fiberglass but I am looking a 13 ' aluminum to actually keep on my truck all the time. PThe sun is the enemy of a plastic canoe but an aluminum one I can keep out all the time. Nice canoe you got there.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nice boat, we own 4 canoes now, 3 Royalex and one aluminum. For the way you will be using it, biggest drawback is it will be HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter, much more so than other materials. But you can't hurt 'em.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol, took her on her maiden voyage, with me in it anyways. Parked just past the bridge and pulled it down to the water's edge on a decent embankment with no problem. Would have been an awesome day except for the blasted wind! My mission today was two-fold: First to see how far back into this little "gut" I'm trying to hunt I can get and two, how difficult it would be to maneuver in it. After about an hour I noticed a small amount of creek in the bottom of her. Could easily have been water from the paddle because, let me tell ya, at one point I was slingin' some heading into that wind! The wind coming down the main creek was whippin' and it took a few U-turns and a couple of runs into the reeds to re-learn how to navigate into it. And while I was dreading pulling it back up that embankment and lifting it into the truck, it really wasn't a problem, even loaded with my gear.

If the wind dies down I'm going back in the morning with a Sawzall, two hot batteries, and a sharp machete. I need to get to an oak flat on the north side and I've got a little ways to go. Been years since anyone hunted this area because there's really no other way to get to it....

23mako

Ten Pointer
Just a thought in my jon boat I have the thick rubber commercial kitchen mats. They work great keeping the surfaces cool and are easy to clean.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks buddy, I could make that work! I know some people in the restaurant business.....