Drought Got Me, What Are My Options?

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
I planted soybeans in the spring, we got some decent rain and they did very well. I broadcasted Whitetail Institutes winter greens into my soybeans at the beginning of September, as directed, but we just didn't get any rain for a month and it does't look like they are going to make it. I went out yesterday and saw a few little sprouts about an inch tall, very few though.

Is there anything else can broadcast into my beans this late that will be green for November and December?

Whitetail institute seems to think the winter greens still might have a chance but I'm just not seeing it.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rye or oats may give you some service. That would be my thoughts. Tough time. Clover would work. None are going to be deer magnets. Turnip varieites are possible.

dearl

Four Pointer
Oats, winter wheat, rye. I'd throw some feed oats in there before this rain. It'll be green in a week.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oats, winter wheat, rye. I'd throw some feed oats in there before this rain. It'll be green in a week.

^^^ this^^^...I'm just getting my plots planted this week for the very same reason. No rain = no germination. WTI is correct though, there may be some seeds that germinate with the moisture this weekend. Lots of seeds that had little or no soil coverage can lay there for weeks or even months and never germinate.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just top sow so wheat and if you catch this rain it will be green next weekend

getTwisted

Ten Pointer

I'm not as familiar with feed oats and wheat. I just asked this about the wheat but they are both available locally I assume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Same issue with one Ladino plot here. Is it too late to retry clover? Red or ladino?
It's a bit late for the white clovers that need to establish a good crown before our hard freezes. Red clovers have a different root system and can take the cold a bit sooner.
It won't hurt to cverseed, but don't expect good return on your investment with white clover.
Crimson clover is very palatable to deer and it will be ok to plant now.
It won't last long and the white clover will overtake the crimson clover in late spring.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any specific brand/company I should use or just whatever I can buy local?
any feed oats are fine, the later the harvest date the better for germination. Just make sure they are this year's seed and that there are no additives.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
any feed oats are fine, the later the harvest date the better for germination. Just make sure they are this year's seed and that there are no additives.

Great thanks for your help. My local feed store has both oats and wheat. Which would be the best? I'm planting a little less than an acre.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
get a bag of each...deer love them both. I plant a mixture of each almost every year in annual plots. Plant thicker than usual if you plan to just top seed it...grains won't have time to mature anyway so thicker is better this late in the season. Both seeds can benefit from being covered by a bit of dirt, but not too deep this time of year.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
get a bag of each...deer love them both. I plant a mixture of each almost every year in annual plots. Plant thicker than usual if you plan to just top seed it...grains won't have time to mature anyway so thicker is better this late in the season. Both seeds can benefit from being covered by a bit of dirt, but not too deep this time of year.

Great, thanks for your time!