NCH&F swan hunt

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Zombie you owe me some $$$!! All this killing one with a recurve has me hooked also.

Been years since I shot a recurve but very proficient with a compound. Problem is I sold it.

Anyway borrowing a buddies recurve, bought some arrows and fixed broadheads.

Will bring shotgun as backup

Last edited:

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Hahahaha! Awesome!

I could have let ya borrow one too. I have an extra

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

Last edited:

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Bad but good news fellas. In the freezing rain wind storm this morning on the pamlico i was able to fill my swan tag. They flew 10 yards over our decoy spread, i had my tag with me, and let a load of #2's do the rest.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Thanks, its my first swan and i was pumped to have the chance to shoot one let me tell you. Just dropped mine off at the taxidermist and hes "worried" that this freezing cold may have cracked the skin around the neck and left the bird unmountable. So if anybody is shooting a swan they dont intend to mount, let me know. I saved the money and am dead set on the swan mount i want, just may not have a swan to mount all of a sudden!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,hes "worried" that this freezing cold may have cracked the skin around the neck and left the bird unmountable.!

unless something REALLY strange is going on the "freezing cold" should have no issue,,,,,birds come out of freezers all the time to the taxidermist,,,,,,,,now if it's been frozen a LONG time it may be freezer burnt,,but that is a different issue,,,,,

my .02 cents,,,,,,,may want to rethink who your using

ridenismo

Six Pointer
He was afraid that the neck had been flexed and cracked while frozen riding in the back of my truck. Im using wildfowl taxidermy in washington NC. The guy had a slough of swans in there he was working on and all looked great.

Edit - The swan was NOT frozen with the head under the neck, it froze as it lay in my truck saturday afternoon and i was trying to thaw out myself.

Last edited:

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just a heads up to those hunting Monday. The ditches are full. Chest waders are a must.

If you're bow hunting, bring shotgun back up. Birds are plentiful, but you'll probably be sitting with gun hunters and the birds can get sketchy sometimes.

Last edited:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Still 3pm tomorrow? Just show at cottages and store?

My daughter and I will be there by 3pm

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Also, my cousin said he could chip on stuff...what else we need...sides, drinks, paper plates?

Last edited:

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Just stopped at the piggly Wiggly, heading to Mike's now. :)

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
WE were there yesterday. Other obligations for tomorrow so we went early. Ya'll have fun, hunt safe. Conman's got a class act and great guides! Thanks to Mike, Andy and Hayley for all the help and tips! Woodmoose good great to see you again!! See ya'll at the DDC.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
I'm curious as to the results! Not so much the number of birds, but the spread, you know, the food! I:D know y'all are eating good if nothing else!;)

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Was awesome! I'll post story later, but here is my cousin Stephen and I. Mine was 86"!
e5d72d9ee0bc19beb825276346446baf.jpg

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
86"! And I thought my wife's from 25 years ago with 72" wing span was a good one!
I'd have the jaw bone aged on that old bird! I bet he doesn't have a tooth left in his head!:D
Maybe Helium will chime in and share a pic too.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
HOLY COW! i was told about that giant bird, and they werent lying! I hope your putting that monster on the wall. Glad yall did well today.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
HOLY COW! i was told about that giant bird, and they werent lying! I hope your putting that monster on the wall. Glad yall did well today.

zombie's was big (congrats Sir!) but not the biggest of the day,,,,,,,,,,,,

93" BEAST was taken,,,,,,,,,biggest one I have seen in the 12-13 years I have hunted them,,,,,,,,

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
The 93" was indeed a beast. Not just wing span, but a big Bird all the way around.

old school

Six Pointer
Sometimes the "Great Whites" turn out to be Trumpeter Swans instead of Tundra Swans. Note: Just saying, "Sometimes", as in I couldn't care less...

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Zombie has another pic of the bill of his bird and it's apparent that it is a tundra.

I did a little investigation on trumpeters in NC. Apparently there is a bird watcher on Carolina Bird Club that has reported, in the forums, seeing trumpeters around Pungo, Phelps and Mattamskeet in the last month.

Last edited: