6th Annual Cape Lookout Albie Trip (Pic Heavy)

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
As some of you probably remember we do this trip every year. This is the 6th year with the same group of guys and my 10th year since I discovered this amazing fishery. This year we were very worried about how the fishing would be due to the hurricane and the amount of fresh water that has been flowing to the coast since late last week.

First, I would like to say that the folks living in Goldsboro and Kinston are having a really rough time right now. I saw first hand the flooding and destruction that these folks are dealing with and its not pretty. My heart goes out to the families and businesses that this has affected throughout the southeast. We all need to remember how destructive mother nature can be at times.

On to the fishing-
Friday was great! Stiff N wind at 15mph all day but the beaches out to around 3 miles were very fishable and produced plenty of willing alberts. The afternoon incoming tide had fish stacked up inside the hook that were easy pickings for the most part.

Saturday was much like Friday only the wind picked up a little but was no problem along the beaches. This was probably our best day, landing 20+ fish throughout the day

Sunday the wind dropped out to almost nothing but some dirty water moved in and made the fish a little harder to get on. We managed a few each but we really had to work for them.

Monday met us with flat calm seas and more dirty water. The best bite was just after sun up then it got really difficult and the fish would not stay up long enough to get on them good. We only stayed out till noon then headed in to pack up to head home.

As always we had a great trip, food was great, fishing was good, and the time spent with friends was priceless!

Friday-

Saturday

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Yea they are a great fish to target on fly. I will be heading back down the first weekend in November to get after them again.

I forgot to mention that on Friday we ran across a 70+lb cobia. She would follow a fly but would not give me a bite. Doubt I would have been able to do much with her anyway on a 10wt with 20lb tippet. I made sure to have the 12wt meat stick rigged up with 40lb leader and a cobia fly the rest of the trip.

workennels

Eight Pointer
Awesome pics!!! With so much ch going on right now I have yet to make it out since they've showed up in good numbers. Last time I was at the cape we were crushing the Spanish on 5wts though.

Last edited:

Excursion

Ten Pointer
Awesome! Man now you are in my wheelhouse. I have spent MANY hours there over the last several years and lots of time this summer. Wish I could be there now. But cant due to commitments to baseball with my son. Nice job. Always glad to see other guys score. Congrats.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Great pics and congrats, I haven't caught but a few but man they fight like hell...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Looks like a good rig. Like how open it is.

Thanks! It has been a great sled for what I need it for. I can comfortably fish 3 or hunt 3 guys with up to 14 dozen decoys and still have wiggle room for the ride out.
Here is a picture taken summer 2015 before I redid the non skid on the inside just to show the full layout. She is a heavy boat but takes seas like a tank!

23mako

Ten Pointer
I believe if you are going to be near shore fishing in NC a heavy boat is almost a requirement. That extra weight plowing through swells really comes in handy.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Yes it does! And it will not beat you to death in wind chop. Having a full cap on the boat also makes it a dryer ride in chop as well.