So I have a heck of a lane to work with

JDL25

Eight Pointer
I have a lane... it is a long edge of a 4 acre field that was overgrown about 10 years ago. The "field" is overgrown in pines about 15-20 feet tall, the other side of the lane is mature hardwoods. The lane is about 500 feet long by 50 feet wide. I am guessing that it will need lime. I have never done a food plot in my life. This hunting season has made me decide to try. I have a tractor, bush hog, pto tiller, sprayer... I do not have a spreader but I believe I could make do with a yard spreader here. I am positive I can mow this sucker down and till it up. I am not sure what to do next or when to do it.

I will hang up and listen.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Go ahead and get a soil sample done and that will tell you what you need to get in the soil, that way if you need lime(which you almost always will) you can go ahead and add it because it will take a few months before it takes effect.
Once that's done keep it mowed and spray it a few times during the summer, come about late August disc it wait a couple of weeks and then spray it again. Wait about a week then plant it with wheat or rye.
Pack the soil and then top dress it with clover and chicory, then just lightly drag it or run over it with your atv or tractor.

You could also do like half of the plot like above then plant the other half with turnips or radish with wheat and/or Rye. That would be a good fall plot as well but will die out in the summer.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Bush hog it today, hang a stand and then hunt it tommorow. The deer are moving own their own all day long and they will use that lane as soon as the tractor is out of sight/hearing.

Last edited:

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Go ahead and get a soil sample done and that will tell you what you need to get in the soil, that way if you need lime(which you almost always will) you can go ahead and add it because it will take a few months before it takes effect.
Once that's done keep it mowed and spray it a few times during the summer, come about late August disc it wait a couple of weeks and then spray it again. Wait about a week then plant it with wheat or rye.
Pack the soil and then top dress it with clover and chicory, then just lightly drag it or run over it with your atv or tractor.

You could also do like half of the plot like above then plant the other half with turnips or radish with wheat and/or Rye. That would be a good fall plot as well but will die out in the summer.

Or, get your soil sample & see what you need in the soil-spray it with gly,spread your seed & mow over it. that method is gaining popularity with a lot of plotters. Or mow then drill.

check out grant woods @ Growing deer tv...

Six Pointer
If you bush hog have gun with you when you bush hog. I most always see deer when I mow my clover. Given most times it is after work late in the afternoon. Tractors running don't seem to bother the deer much unless you stop. A lot of times they will come out when I start mowing and watch. I told my friend the other week after sitting in the stand for two afternoons and not seeing anything I was going to get in the tractor the next afternoon and just start mowing I think I would see more deer.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Or, get your soil sample & see what you need in the soil-spray it with gly,spread your seed & mow over it. that method is gaining popularity with a lot of plotters. Or mow then drill.

check out grant woods @ Growing deer tv...

that man has forgotten more about deer and wildlife management than i could ever hope t know. i love watching his shows

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
that man has forgotten more about deer and wildlife management than i could ever hope t know. i love watching his shows

Yeah i try to watch every week. always learn something. its amazing what he has done up there with no till..