what all bait have you used for catfish? Deer heart?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
We had a few deer a hunt camp this week, both were heart shots but I saved them anyways.

They look to hold a lot of blood and have thd normal blood heart smell...
So I chucked them in the freeze for the dogs. But after thinking about it they would make a great bait for catfishing.

Why not, people use chicken hearts, livers, and other chicken parts.....
Are we all passing up great free bait for catfish?

Maybe I should have saved the liver also.
All that stuff would be used as cut chunk bait or used in a stink bait or dip bait could it not?

Any thoughts?
Was thinking of fat mullet also that is left over from surf fishing..

Not having good luck the last few times getting shad so trying to give other bait a try.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I've always had the best luck using small panfish ( live ) 2 to 5 inches <or>......but give those deer hearts a try , you may get the surprise of your fishing trip !

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Can not find anything in the rule book that said legal or not so I guess it would be legal.

In TN when I lived there you could not use any fish or game that had a rule or limit on it.
That cut some of the pan fish and stuff out but cant see that in NC.

Going to give it a try when deer season is done and see how it will do.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've used beef liver several times in a lake setting for trotlining catfish and it worked great. I have a buddy that lets his soak in garlic salt for a week or so in the fridge in a Ziploc bag and he swears it makes it tough and the catfish really love it.
I see no reason why heart wouldn't work, although as a muscle it may not be as porous as liver to hold the smell.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have great luck with garlic chicken strips in the Catawba river chain. The catfish in the Yadkin chain don't like it as much.

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
They look to hold a lot of blood and have thd normal blood heart smell...
So I chucked them in the freeze for the dogs. But after thinking about it they would make a great bait for catfishing.

deer heart is hands down the BEST catfish bait I have ever used.....not only is it extremely effective, it stays in the hook very well

Huffy

Eight Pointer
garlic chicken is deadly on the Catawba river chain I agree but I've also used deer heart on Norman and caught blues it works

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Catfish is primarily the fish I target year round. You can use all the stink and blood baits you want, but I have the best luck depending of species I am targeting on the best live or freshest cut bait I can use. And I think most of the guys that catch larger catfish will echo the same.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Catfish is primarily the fish I target year round. You can use all the stink and blood baits you want, but I have the best luck depending of species I am targeting on the best live or freshest cut bait I can use. And I think most of the guys that catch larger catfish will echo the same.

Yep. Blind hog finds an acorn every now and then but day in and day out the baits they're used to eating daily will win out especially on quality fish.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Live bait is the best IMO with hornworms or tobacco worms one of the best baits I have ever used for Catfish but its hard to find them nowdays..I have used liver, shrimp, cut shad, cut mullet, cut panfish and cheap hot dogs out of the grocery story have all produced at one time or another for me..Crayfish are good also...

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Deer liver works pretty good for channel cats, but nothing beats fresh cut bait, in my experience. We probably catch a couple thousand pounds of cats a year on fresh cut bait. We've tried everything over the years. Most things work, but cut bait works better. :)

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I had a significant increase in size and quantity of fish caught once we started catching shad in cast nets and using them as bait. It was like night and day the difference between chicken livers, worms, etc. Match the hatch as they say.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Correct but i have not had the best of luck finding them to use a cast net on them.
Dont know why bait stores are not selling them. I would buy when i cant find them.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Deer heart is too tasty to waste on fish bait.hard to beat fresh shad or bream

Yes very true.... but when it takes a hit and you have a bunch of blood, bone and bullet to pick out it is better used for bait.

Due to the bone and parts of lead I do not want to feed to the dogs.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Correct but i have not had the best of luck finding them to use a cast net on them.
Dont know why bait stores are not selling them. I would buy when i cant find them.
When the water temps cool shad go deep, you have to find them on sonar, add extra line to your cast net and throw over the schools.

Right now they are about 14-18' deep around here.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I was told 2 things
creek mouths or bridge
We have creeks but no bridges close in gaston for me.
I find them time to time but not enough so I carry other bait.

Just need to learn more about them.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In the fall winter they will be in the sheltered areas usually, creeks are a good place. And like I said they will be in large schools, easily seen on electronics. Yes, structure like bridges are excellent places. Again they will be deep as it gets colder.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Where are you fishing. If fishing Gaston or Kerr Payjays is Wise carries live shad. Not sure if year round though.

Bolt

Four Pointer
If you catch with hook and line you can use panfish, you just cant catch them in a net.
Can not find anything in the rule book that said legal or not so I guess it would be legal.

In TN when I lived there you could not use any fish or game that had a rule or limit on it.
That cut some of the pan fish and stuff out but cant see that in NC.

Going to give it a try when deer season is done and see how it will do.

ncboman

Good friend fishes the James River in Va a lot and he catches the big ones (30 to 60 lbs) on deer hearts regularly. :)

PTman

Four Pointer
i had the same idea earlier this fall and caught quite a few w/ deer heart and liver. the biggest was 40#. ill keep using it. both of them stayed on the hook really well

lil_shawn1990

Prefer fresh shad or bluegill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

omar252

Deer heart soaked in garlic, Chicken Liver, Cutbait , hotdogs, Limburger Cheese. the list goes on an on. I've used alot of different baits.