Mouse in the house

jhwilli2

Eight Pointer
I bet he is in the pantry right now feasting on some potato chips....probably all lounged out. Might be putting out a crumb trail for his friends. He's getting the place all decked out for the holiday mouse extravaganza that will be taking place the next time you are out of town....

In all fairness, I hope you get him, but this is great fun.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I bet he is in the pantry right now feasting on some potato chips....probably all lounged out. Might be putting out a crumb trail for his friends. He's getting the place all decked out for the holiday mouse extravaganza that will be taking place the next time you are out of town....

In all fairness, I hope you get him, but this is great fun.

I hope so too. My older daughter is a big wuss. She won't go in the pantry at all right now.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This mouse is getting too big of a fan base. Might have to go the live catch trap. Looks like he might be beating Santa to the cookies Christmas night.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
This may be the most interesting read we have had on here in a while. Are you using trail cams to track his movement? Just a thought. What about baiting? I think I'm starting to pull for the mouse...

Mice, the most dangerous game......

(actually, they really were in about the 14th century)

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
The hull from a boiled peanut I've always used this and have never had one not die in just a few hours. Take knife and cut slit in center of hull and stick the trigger through it. Trust me you will hear it pop before you fall asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireStalker

Twelve Pointer
I'm kind of in the same boat right now as I have a rat in my crawlspace, chewing up insulation and stuff under there. Sometimes I'll be sitting in bed or on the sofa and hear the thing chomping away at something. So far I have set up 2 rat traps and a box trap but it won't even touch the bait. He's even ignoring a 120 volt electrocution trap that I made up with a baited metal sheet hooked to a 120v electrical cord.

I'm beginning to wonder if this rat has a peanut allergy since he won't touch peanut butter... not regular, organic, or even chocolate flavored pb! He must be either lactose intolerant or vegan too, because he won't touch the cheese. And he's not a carnivore because he won't eat fresh ham. And he must be too highfalutin to sink to eating dog food because he won't eat 2 different types including blue buffalo and kibbles and bits. Tomorrow I'm going to put some deer corn out and see if he'll go for that.

I've avoided using poison so far because I didn't want him to crawl up somewhere, die and stink up the house. But I think at this point, I might just go ahead and try some. Hech, I've even contemplated about setting up a blind in the crawlspace and hunting him with a 22 or pellet rifle. The sucker has got to go!

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I usually always pull for the underdog... problem is I can't figure out who that is here! Those mice can be harder to get than a mature deer on game lands!!

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm kind of in the same boat right now as I have a rat in my crawlspace, chewing up insulation and stuff under there. Sometimes I'll be sitting in bed or on the sofa and hear the thing chomping away at something. So far I have set up 2 rat traps and a box trap but it won't even touch the bait. He's even ignoring a 120 volt electrocution trap that I made up with a baited metal sheet hooked to a 120v electrical cord.

I'm beginning to wonder if this rat has a peanut allergy since he won't touch peanut butter... not regular, organic, or even chocolate flavored pb! He must be either lactose intolerant or vegan too, because he won't touch the cheese. And he's not a carnivore because he won't eat fresh ham. And he must be too highfalutin to sink to eating dog food because he won't eat 2 different types including blue buffalo and kibbles and bits. Tomorrow I'm going to put some deer corn out and see if he'll go for that.

I've avoided using poison so far because I didn't want him to crawl up somewhere, die and stink up the house. But I think at this point, I might just go ahead and try some. Hech, I've even contemplated about setting up a blind in the crawlspace and hunting him with a 22 or pellet rifle. The sucker has got to go!

So at one time I thought I had a rat or a squirrel in my crawl space doing the same thing....turned out to be an albino ferret.....I guess it got loose from someone's house....but it sure did cause some damage

FireStalker

Twelve Pointer
So at one time I thought I had a rat or a squirrel in my crawl space doing the same thing....turned out to be an albino ferret.....I guess it got loose from someone's house....but it sure did cause some damage

Wow, that would be a surprise! Did you catch it alive?

I actually saw this rat though... gray with a 4-5" body. It was loud enough that I at first thought it was a large raccoon and I went under the house with a .22 pistol to look for it.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wow, that would be a surprise! Did you catch it alive?

I actually saw this rat though... gray with a 4-5" body. It was loud enough that I at first thought it was a large raccoon and I went under the house with a .22 pistol to look for it.

I did not catch it alive I ended up using a pellet gun to "catch" it. It ended up causing almost 800 dollars worth of damage in just a few days.

jhwilli2

Eight Pointer
I'm out here in the duck blind wondering if the little fellow made it through the night...if I had to guess he probably had a couple of mouseritas, called up his lady friend, and "hung out" on the couch,...just a guess

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
No sign of speedy. I put bacon in one of the traps yesterday. Neither trap has been touched for several days. I don't know where Mighty Mouse went.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
We had some mice in the garage a couple years ago. I took 2x4's and made a tunnel. I closed off one end and placed the tomcat traps on that end. Then I placed 2 more traps on the open end of the tunnel. Placed a board on top so that left only one route in and he had to cross over the trigger plates and then end up in the last trap. Every time the traps triggered I had a mouse.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I think I've finally got my shed cleared... Got the first 2 on the first night. This last one's been playing me for a fool for a week or so...

I took two scrap pieces of drywall and leaned them up against the wall with about 2" (trap width) between them at the bottom and stuck that trap at one end. He came right up the tunnel and got his last meal. I piece of american cheese stuck up under the trap pedal.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Glue traps w/ a little bit of cheap peanut butter work the best IMO. Once a mouse is caught in a spring trap it may be hard to continue to catch more, because of the presence of the 1st victims blood on the trap.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Slim Jim finally did the trick for me. Took two weeks.

jhwilli2

Eight Pointer
Ballentine hunting club was able to harvest this monster this morning. It takes a ton of work and dedication to harvest a true mature animal. Cameras have been capturing photo's of him at night but hardly any daytime activity. We have been baiting hard but could not get him to commit until we changed our bait to chocolate covered peanuts from peanut butter. Hopefully now that deer season is out we will be able to get our limit. So far this is the benchmark for Ballentine hunting club. Homebrewale we have an opening for new members. mouse.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ballentine hunting club was able to harvest this monster this morning. It takes a ton of work and dedication to harvest a true mature animal. Cameras have been capturing photo's of him at night but hardly any daytime activity. We have been baiting hard but could not get him to commit until we changed our bait to chocolate covered peanuts from peanut butter. Hopefully now that deer season is out we will be able to get our limit. So far this is the benchmark for Ballentine hunting club. Homebrewale we have an opening for new members. View attachment 53998

That looks like a regular mouse....I would have thought Ballentine mice would have looked a bit more regal and sophisticated. :D
(My daughter and SIL live in Ballentine and I'm always getting my digs in on them for paying well above market value for their house just so they can say they live in "Ballentine" )

jhwilli2

Eight Pointer
That looks like a regular mouse....I would have thought Ballentine mice would have looked a bit more regal and sophisticated. :D
(My daughter and SIL live in Ballentine and I'm always getting my digs in on them for paying well above market value for their house just so they can say they live in "Ballentine" )

Without getting into specifics, I can tell you that this mouse didn't come from the queen city....This mouse cannot afford rent in that place!!!!! I'm not going to reveal our location, it could be a hot spot, but there are some members on here that are part of the Ballentine Hunting Club....And yes we kill female and male mice...

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As one of the founding members of Ballentine Hunting Club, I couldn't be happier with our first kill. We are currently looking for a taxidermist and haven't decided on if we should get a full body or shoulder mount yet. I personally want to get the full body of this monster sitting on a sardine can eating a sunflower seed, but understand that could get pricey. We are also looking into running dogs for them this next year, so any potential new members that have dogs or experience in hunting mice with dogs would be a plus. It's going to take a lot of hard work and effort but we think a mythical 1 ouncer could come off of our property this next season.

Last edited:

jhwilli2

Eight Pointer
As one of the founding members of Ballentine Hunting Club, I couldn't be happier with our first kill. We are currently looking for a taxidermist and haven't decided on if we should get a full body or shoulder mount yet. I personally want to get the full body of this monster sitting on a sardine can eating a sunflower seed, but understand that could get pricey. We are also looking into running dogs for them this next year, so any potential new members that have dogs or experience in hunting mice with dogs would be a plus. It's going to take a lot of hard work and effort but we think a mythical 1 ouncer could come off of our property this next season.

We've really got to put in some time and labor this off season to get our food plots up and running...I think with the genetics that we are seeing, a little nutrition could go a long way....

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Ballentine hunting club was able to harvest this monster this morning. It takes a ton of work and dedication to harvest a true mature animal. Cameras have been capturing photo's of him at night but hardly any daytime activity. We have been baiting hard but could not get him to commit until we changed our bait to chocolate covered peanuts from peanut butter. Hopefully now that deer season is out we will be able to get our limit. So far this is the benchmark for Ballentine hunting club. Homebrewale we have an opening for new members. View attachment 53998

Did you get it at one of the major times on a solunar chart?

jhwilli2

Eight Pointer
Did you get it at one of the major times on a solunar chart?

No one can expect to kill monsters like this without a little help...We use moon charts, sun charts, and our secret weapon...A Mercury chart. It's been dead on this year. I expect big things this weekend with this major cold front coming through...

ChasinTrophies

To the OP on how best to set a trap to trip. I take a bread twist tie, soak it in a little bacon grease or peanut butter and use it to fasten a crouton or dog food to the trip lever as tight as I can get it. I have never had a trap rigged this way trip without a mouse in it. And unfortunately I have had a lot of experience with the little devils. My personal record is 13 in one night using two traps. SNAP! Dump, reset, walk out.... two minutes later, SNAP!