Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big mature deer killed from public land managed with aprs and quota hunts

Old Mossy Horns

Default Big mature deer killed from public land managed with aprs and quota hunts

Presidents Island Wildlife Area in TN

https://www.facebook.com/TennesseeWi...09729772387945

Old Mossy Horns

I killed bucks of the same ages here and they were nothing like that. It has less to do with apr's and more to do with habitat. Quotas did likely insure more bucks would have more birthdays.
    Last edited by DRS; 12-19-2016 at 09:09 AM.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill, one kills in order to have hunted". Finn Aagard

Birthdays are the #1 item required to produce old bucks. I don't care what method or excuse you use, birthdays are the only way to get old bucks.
    80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's... Academic/Athletic Fraud spanning 4 decades, 4+ coaches and 2,645 student athlete enrollments. Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty, and Roy Williams. That's a ton of dadgum cheating...

Quote Originally Posted by Buxndiverdux View Post
    Birthdays are the #1 item required to produce old bucks. I don't care what method or excuse you use, birthdays are the only way to get old bucks.
    I agree. I would love to see the wildlife commission take a new piece of gameland in the Piedmont and set restrictions designed to create trophy bucks. They could quadruple the price of a permit, and I would gladly pay it. There is a reason that state's like Iowa can charge $600 for an out of state hunting license. It's because their hunting is that good. I'm not saying we could ever become an Iowa, but we possibly have the potential to become a Kentucky or a Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by chrispowell View Post
    I agree. I would love to see the wildlife commission take a new piece of gameland in the Piedmont and set restrictions designed to create trophy bucks. They could quadruple the price of a permit, and I would gladly pay it. There is a reason that state's like Iowa can charge $600 for an out of state hunting license. It's because their hunting is that good. I'm not saying we could ever become an Iowa, but we possibly have the potential to become a Kentucky or a Tennessee.
    Iowa, Ohio, Illinois, don't allow rifles, and their shotgun season is after the rut and 2 weeks long. Excellent habitat, and genetics also play a major roll. No rifles and guns after the rut produces lots of older bucks. I don't ever see that happening in NC.
    80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's... Academic/Athletic Fraud spanning 4 decades, 4+ coaches and 2,645 student athlete enrollments. Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty, and Roy Williams. That's a ton of dadgum cheating...

I thought you were gonna post this link when I saw your thread title:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/s...land/95553808/

Twelve Pointer

Even states like KY that have a rifle season that overlaps some of the rut has a short rifle season and one buck limit. NC will never produce big bucks in any numbers with a 4 buck limit (some zones) and months of rifle hunting. I agree with Bux, letting deer get older is the only thing you can control.

I hunted with a guy in KY, he was from TN and had a buddy who at one timed farmed PI, said it got too expensive buying new tractor tires from all the sheds in the fields. Would be an awesome permit to hunt.

Old Mossy Horns

bux and 30/06 have this covered in terms of what NC would have to do to imitate states that produce big deer.

i think this is a fine place to hunt and wish we had some equally good restricted public hunts in NC. But i wont be holding my breath.

4 buck limit on the eastern side is only slightly less dumb than South Carolinas law which I think you can kill however many buck you want and 1 doe.

Nobody needs to kill 4 bucks, lets do away with that. 2 bucks is plenty. Hell, put us on a diet and let us kill one buck for a few years and lets turn this state into something to brag about.

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by oldest school View Post
    bux and 30/06 have this covered in terms of what NC would have to do to imitate states that produce big deer.

i think this is a fine place to hunt and wish we had some equally good restricted public hunts in NC. But i wont be holding my breath.
    I don't see anything wrong with managing just one public game land for older mature bucks.

It may work, it may not. No reason not to try on just one game land.