Big mature deer killed from public land managed with aprs and quota hunts

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I killed bucks of the same ages here and they were nothing like that. It has less to do with apr's and more to do with habitat. Quotas did likely insure more bucks would have more birthdays.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Birthdays are the #1 item required to produce old bucks. I don't care what method or excuse you use, birthdays are the only way to get old bucks.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Birthdays are the #1 item required to produce old bucks. I don't care what method or excuse you use, birthdays are the only way to get old bucks.

I agree. I would love to see the wildlife commission take a new piece of gameland in the Piedmont and set restrictions designed to create trophy bucks. They could quadruple the price of a permit, and I would gladly pay it. There is a reason that state's like Iowa can charge $600 for an out of state hunting license. It's because their hunting is that good. I'm not saying we could ever become an Iowa, but we possibly have the potential to become a Kentucky or a Tennessee.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I agree. I would love to see the wildlife commission take a new piece of gameland in the Piedmont and set restrictions designed to create trophy bucks. They could quadruple the price of a permit, and I would gladly pay it. There is a reason that state's like Iowa can charge $600 for an out of state hunting license. It's because their hunting is that good. I'm not saying we could ever become an Iowa, but we possibly have the potential to become a Kentucky or a Tennessee.

Iowa, Ohio, Illinois, don't allow rifles, and their shotgun season is after the rut and 2 weeks long. Excellent habitat, and genetics also play a major roll. No rifles and guns after the rut produces lots of older bucks. I don't ever see that happening in NC.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Even states like KY that have a rifle season that overlaps some of the rut has a short rifle season and one buck limit. NC will never produce big bucks in any numbers with a 4 buck limit (some zones) and months of rifle hunting. I agree with Bux, letting deer get older is the only thing you can control.

I hunted with a guy in KY, he was from TN and had a buddy who at one timed farmed PI, said it got too expensive buying new tractor tires from all the sheds in the fields. Would be an awesome permit to hunt.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
bux and 30/06 have this covered in terms of what NC would have to do to imitate states that produce big deer.

i think this is a fine place to hunt and wish we had some equally good restricted public hunts in NC. But i wont be holding my breath. :)

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
4 buck limit on the eastern side is only slightly less dumb than South Carolinas law which I think you can kill however many buck you want and 1 doe.

Nobody needs to kill 4 bucks, lets do away with that. 2 bucks is plenty. Hell, put us on a diet and let us kill one buck for a few years and lets turn this state into something to brag about.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
bux and 30/06 have this covered in terms of what NC would have to do to imitate states that produce big deer.

i think this is a fine place to hunt and wish we had some equally good restricted public hunts in NC. But i wont be holding my breath. :)

I don't see anything wrong with managing just one public game land for older mature bucks.

It may work, it may not. No reason not to try on just one game land.

Cheese

Six Pointer
Iowa, Ohio, Illinois, don't allow rifles, and their shotgun season is after the rut and 2 weeks long. Excellent habitat, and genetics also play a major roll. No rifles and guns after the rut produces lots of older bucks. I don't ever see that happening in NC.

Wish it would....

Why is it that NC cannot or won't adopt some of these changes? What are opponents to this actually arguing?

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Wish it would....

Why is it that NC cannot or won't adopt some of these changes? What are opponents to this actually arguing?

The wildlife commission conducted a large survey last summer to determine what it is that deer hunters actually want in the different parts of the state. We may find out that things are the way they are for good reason, or that the majority of hunters actually want something different. I'm just hoping that if the majority want a change, the vocal minority won't be able to squash it.

lowery63

Four Pointer
Well i will say nc has the potential to be any state in the country only if u could get all hunters on the same page we have to many on separate agendas as far as still hunters and dog hunters im personally a still hunter and would love to see some if not all rules from the big states

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PG2

Ten Pointer
Ohio's gun season is 1 week only and you can only take 1 buck per season no matter with what, bow, gun or mz...

Sawyer205

Six Pointer

or VA for that matter..... some areas are shotgun/ML only, and no baiting...... As much as I like to corn, a large # of next year bucks fall at a corn pile in NC.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Same struggle here in WV, surrounded by states with good deer management but our DNR is afraid of change and loss of revenue so we still have the 3 buck limit.