Fish attractor program to begin at Lake Adger next year

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Starting next year the NCWRC is going to place fish attractors in Lake Adger to enhance the bass and crappie populations, similar to what has been done at Lake James.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Your are correct especially as the WRC marks them with buoys.

The buoys are not hard to spot.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No I have seen them out on some of the lakes around here, including Lake James.

Did you know they put in a big rock reef at Lake James for bass and walleye?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
they should place ones like randleman has. hard to get hung up on and fish magnets. they have revolving plastic spikes.

they are so good that my friend who practically invented offshore bass fishing in central NC fishes them. he has a special boat he uses to place brush in lakes so he knows about attracting fish.

I couldnt believe it when he went to a marked fish attractor. multiple 4lbers showed me why he liked them. :)

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
they should place ones like randleman has. hard to get hung up on and fish magnets. they have revolving plastic spikes.

they are so good that my friend who practically invented offshore bass fishing in central NC fishes them. he has a special boat he uses to place brush in lakes so he knows about attracting fish.

I couldnt believe it when he went to a marked fish attractor. multiple 4lbers showed me why he liked them. :)

quit talking like that or youll convince me to go

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
quit talking like that or youll convince me to go

well it's closed now. :)

but between those attractors and the huge trees they cut and chained, that place has a leg up on any other lake i have seen in terms of the agency controlling the lake making places to fish.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The thing about Lake Adger is its illegal to place fish attractors or brush piles in the lake except if you get approval from Polk County.

The county owns the lake.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The thing about Lake Adger is its illegal to place fish attractors or brush piles in the lake except if you get approval from Polk County.

The county owns the lake.
It is illegal to place them or for an individual to place them in just about any lake in some fashion or form. But if you get out there right at daylight the right time of year you will catch the right crowd.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
only place i have ever heard of anyone catching hell for planting trees was on the Chickohominy river in VA.

That was ugly what they had to do to fix that situation.

but nccat is right, it is "against the rules" with not many places giving permission.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
No I have seen them out on some of the lakes around here, including Lake James.

Did you know they put in a big rock reef at Lake James for bass and walleye?

Did you know walleye don't like big rocky structure like that?
Just cause the WRC/google press release says it doesn't make it true...

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
i would be curious what type of bottom/structure you have found that walleyes prefer in lieu of rocky reefs.

Rock reefs are good habitat for smallmouth bass and ,yes, they do attract walleye.

Structure attracts baitfish which attracts predator fish.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Slayed the walleye in Canada on rocky outcroppings with a touch of current. 3 different lakes, same structure - rocks. Smallmouth liked them too.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Adger doesn't need more cover it slam full of trees,they need to dredge it badly,sick of churning mud every time I go

It doesn't need to be dredged any time soon and it won't be. The channel from the marina to the main lake is plenty deep.

Dredging costs major $$$$ as Lake Lure is finding out

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
http://www.tryondailybulletin.com/2015/06/04/dredging-lake-adger-estimated-to-cost-2-5-5-million/

According to this article is not cheap to dredge Adger

What has been brought up (as I understand it) is a high cost boat launch/user fee on people who use the public launch. Similar to Lake Lure's $120 dollar fee on people who use a boat to fish that lake.

At least with that kind of fee, only users of Lake Adger are paying for the dredging and not some fisherman clear across the state.

Its the NCWRC's job to keep the boat channel open.

Last edited:

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
It doesn't need to be dredged any time soon and it won't be. The channel from the marina to the main lake is plenty deep.

Dredging costs major $$$$ as Lake Lure is finding out
You are sadly mistaken you obviously haven't been if you think it's deep enough my pro 17 churns mud every time in the channel.i live 3 miles from the ramp

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You are sadly mistaken you obviously haven't been if you think it's deep enough my pro 17 churns mud every time in the channel.i live 3 miles from the ramp
But, but, but it doesn't with his baby putt putt the time or two he gets out there every year. :rolleyes: