Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow shot carp, catfish left to rot at Santee Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    Went for the pickled shad did ya?
    When this subject first surfaced about eating carp and gar I started to poke the pickled shad eating bear but I abstained. LMAO I should have known that wasn't going to get me anywhere.

No, usually when I am down there if at all possible I am pigging out on crawfish and gator, unless there isn't any available. Then usually they is always the traditional pig cooked several different ways which I never can pass up.

People used to do the same thing with Striped Bass years ago when I was living in SC. There was a picture once in a Columbia SC newspaper a long time back now showing a pile of Stripers in a dumpster and the article went on to say what a waste of the resources that was...That wasn't the only time that happened over the years. I have never eaten Gar but a small Carp say up to 18-20 inches or shorter isn't bad eating at all to me..Catfish is one of my favorite fish to eat, we used to eat well with Catfish out of Santee-Cooper, the Waccamaw, Great Pee Dee and the Santee River..I still miss those fishing trips..
    Nothing seems to move faster on this planet than time ...
    NRA member..

Twelve Pointer

Those of you that eat the gar, how do you get to the edible meat without breaking filet knife?

here's a pretty good post off another forum about cleaning gar.......I don't fish for or eat either gar or carp, but know those that do and love it.....

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?...t=cleaning+gar

I have caught a few gar while bass fishing, but usually they shake off at the boat or I will throw them back if they don't.....

Sevierville TN. Randolph county Native!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cloningerba View Post
    Those of you that eat the gar, how do you get to the edible meat without breaking filet knife?
    Go straight up the middle of the to of the back with a pair of tin snips. Then use knife to separate skin from meat. Cut out the two "loins" or strips. DO NOT LET MEAT GET WET!! It will turn soggy and mushy.
    I live in Tennessee, but my home is North By God Carolina!
    Just because you do not agree with my opinion, it does not make me wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by nccatfisher View Post
    In Louisiana and Ms. they go nuts over gar balls, they have been on the table several times when I have eaten down there but luckily there has been several other things to eat and I have avoided them.
    Youre missing out on them gar balls. Delicious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ten Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by nccatfisher View Post
    When this subject first surfaced about eating carp and gar I started to poke the pickled shad eating bear but I abstained. LMAO I should have known that wasn't going to get me anywhere.

No, usually when I am down there if at all possible I am pigging out on crawfish and gator, unless there isn't any available. Then usually they is always the traditional pig cooked several different ways which I never can pass up.
    I generally agree with 99.99% of what you post on the site but Woodmoose's recipe is spot on. I could go for a bowl of pickled shad/herring about now. Does make me windy though.

I'll pass on the pickled shad....lol...hate to say it, but it wasn't one of my favorite things on the menu at the GTG at conmans that time, hahaha

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

"You may find me dead in a ditch one day...But by God you'll find me in a pile of brass!"

I was a zombie when zombies weren't cool!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !
    III%

Proud Member of the NRA

Quote Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
    I generally agree with 99.99% of what you post on the site but Woodmoose's recipe is spot on. I could go for a bowl of pickled shad/herring about now. .
    why thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I'll pass on the pickled shad....lol...hate to say it, but it wasn't one of my favorite things on the menu at the GTG at conmans that time, hahaha
    OK,,,,Two things:

1 - kudos for trying them,,,,,but yeah,,,they aren't for everyone!

2 - pickled fish is better than a DNA test,,,,,,,,,so no Scandinavian blood in your background!!
    ,,,,sent using Jedi Mind Tricks,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, conservational, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic........so help me God"

Ten Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    why thank you!

OK,,,,Two things:

1 - kudos for trying them,,,,,but yeah,,,they aren't for everyone!

2 - pickled fish is better than a DNA test,,,,,,,,,so no Scandinavian blood in your background!!
    My taste for pickled fish is from my German DNA. Only problem with it is every woman I have been with makes me sleep outdoors after indulging. Stuff is worse on me that pickled eggs. Not to Hijack Woodmoose but have you ever made the pickled shad with cream sauce?