Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: She must be a Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Blades were new out of the pack maybe so. I guess I am not suppose to know. I would think dull broadhead or not that should have got both lungs which should have been a dead animal.
    The only blades that I have found that were sharp enough out of the pack were the ones for a Slick Trick.

Ok let me ask a dumb question. I've killed well over a hundred deer but only 7-8 with a bow. I understand broad heads need to be as sharp as possible but how can a dull broadhead pass through that deer and not kill it but a sharp broadhead in the exact same spot would have?
    Romans 8:38-39

Quote Originally Posted by gameland View Post
    Ok let me ask a dumb question. I've killed well over a hundred deer but only 7-8 with a bow. I understand broad heads need to be as sharp as possible but how can a dull broadhead pass through that deer and not kill it but a sharp broadhead in the exact same spot would have?
    I assume they are thinking the bradhead pushed the vitals aside as it passed thru,instead of cutting them,but i also find it hard to believe it passed thru if it wasnt sharp........others please chime in this thread is getting interesting!

Exclamation

I will take the bait.
    I have killed alot of deer with a bow.
    I have killed at least 10 deer that had been previously shot.
    I have tracked hundreds of deer with and without a dog.
    I have been in on the cleaning of thousands of deer, no brag, just fact.
    I have always tried to look at the wound channel in a dead deer killed with either gun or bow.
    A deer can carry a bullet/arrow or the wound left by them and live for years or die after the season is over.
    I have never seen a deer shot where the one that started this thread live very long.
    The "no mans land" between the spine and the top of the lungs may be there. But IMO most of the deer that get away because they were supposedly shot there were really shot with dull broadheads.
    To kill deer, a sharp broadhead is the most important part of your archery setup.
    Everything else is wasted if your broadhead fails to cut all the way through a deer.
    And yes, I have seen where a dull broadhead slid by some major arteries/veins as it went through a deer. Those died [some many hours after being shot] but I am sure that I have tracked alot of them that lived.
    So, IMO, you need to sharpen every blade on every broadhead that you carry hunting.
    Just sayin'
    Last edited by shadycove; 12-30-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by shadycove View Post
    I will take the bait.
    I have killed alot of deer with a bow.
    I have killed at least 10 deer that had been previously shot.
    I have tracked hundreds of deer with and without a dog.
    I have been in on the cleaning of thousands of deer, no brag, just fact.
    I have always tried to look at the wound channel in a dead deer killed with either gun or bow.
    A deer can carry a bullet/arrow or the wound left by them and live for years or die after the season is over.
    I have never seen a deer shot where the one that started this thread live very long.
    The "no mans land" between the spine and the top of the lungs may be there. But IMO most of the deer that get away because they were supposedly shot there were really shot with dull broadheads.
    To kill deer, a sharp broadhead is the most important part of your archery setup.
    Everything else is wasted if your broadhead fails to cut all the way through a deer.
    And yes, I have seen where a dull broadhead slid by some major arteries/veins as it went through a deer. Those died [some many hours after being shot] but I am sure that I have tracked alot of them that lived.
    So, IMO, you need to sharpen every blade on every broadhead that you carry hunting.
    Just sayin'
    Thousands? To clean just 1000, you'd have to clean 20 a year for 50 years. Are you a processor?

Quote Originally Posted by 77f150 beast View Post
    I assume they are thinking the bradhead pushed the vitals aside as it passed thru,instead of cutting them,but i also find it hard to believe it passed thru if it wasnt sharp........others please chime in this thread is getting interesting!
    I was on the side of a hole through the lungs is a hole through the lungs. I'm no expert and definitely didn't start the thread for controversy. I'm still a little dumbfounded by the whole thing. I have shot my share of animals and a great amount were with archery tackle. I don't understand how she lived with that hole where it was placed by any kind of weapon.

Twelve Pointer

I tell people all the time a deer is one of the toughest animals in the woods. I've shot my fair share of deer with a lot of different weapons and have witnessed first hand how much a deer can take. That deer is very lucky to be alive. To the OP, the only advice I can give is to keep hunting her and try to kill her before the end of the season....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a tough critter. Things happen sometimes without reason and seems this is one of those times. We all learn something from these reports.
    De Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Newsome Road View Post
    Thousands? To clean just 1000, you'd have to clean 20 a year for 50 years. Are you a processor?
    In the 1980's, we had a "community" skinning shed where the entire neighborhood skinned their deer. I was there most every day of the entire deer season helping skin/dress deer.
    I used to hunt, ALOT, and over the 20+ years back then, I shot a limit in NC and in 3 game zones in SC [some of which had no limit on buck deer] and some deer in other states as well, so I have probably killed well over 200 deer.
    Further, while working nearby, I parked my camper at a processors deer camp [I still hunt there] in SC for over 2 years. Part of my rent was helping at the locker. Some doe days, we had to eat supper and then go back to the skinning shed and finish the 20+ deer brought in that evening.
    So yep, I have handled thousands of dead deer.

Twelve Pointer

I believed you shady. I wish i could say ive handled thousands lol Ive killed over a 100 myself and lent a hand in skinning at least twice that lol Some people just cant accept the truth...