Bolt ???

firemedic54

Ten Pointer
Santa brought my son a crossbow for Christmas. Now we need to buy some extra bolt's to go with it. What weight bolt and tips should I get for a 185lb. draw weight?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't go with a weight below the recommendation of the crossbow manufacturer with the weight of the preferred broadhead included. I prefer to shoot a weight forward arrow with a lighter broadhead , it just seems to be a better combination for my crossbow. I shoot a gold tip with the brass insert, and a 100 grain broadhead and my crossbow is 185 draw weight as well.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Modern crossbows shoot arrows, not bolts.
By definition, bolts do not have fletching.
Just sayin'''''''''''

Last edited:

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Crossbow arrows are generally sold by arrow weight and not by draw weight. The owner's manual will state a specific total arrow weight or weight range such as 400-425 grains. That's an all up weight with the head. Some bows have the specified arrow weight labeled on the bow somewhere.

Crossbow arrows have either a flat or half-moon nock and they are generally not interchangeable so be sure you check the manual or look at the arrows that came with the bow as using the wrong nock can be a serious safety issue.

There is a newer nock (Capture nock?) that I'm personally unfamiliar with that I'm told can be used in place of either a flat or half-moon nock but I've also been told that they cause issues with some anti-dry fire devices om x-bows and when fully seated the bow still cannot be shot.

Good luck and wish the lad the best of luck for me please.

Lance

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Crossbow arrows are generally sold by arrow weight and not by draw weight. The owner's manual will state a specific total arrow weight or weight range such as 400-425 grains. That's an all up weight with the head. Some bows have the specified arrow weight labeled on the bow somewhere.

Crossbow arrows have either a flat or half-moon nock and they are generally not interchangeable so be sure you check the manual or look at the arrows that came with the bow as using the wrong nock can be a serious safety issue.

There is a newer nock (Capture nock?) that I'm personally unfamiliar with that I'm told can be used in place of either a flat or half-moon nock but I've also been told that they cause issues with some anti-dry fire devices om x-bows and when fully seated the bow still cannot be shot.

Good luck and wish the lad the best of luck for me please.

Lance

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Parker uses the capture nock. You can't use any others they most of the time won't in gauge the anti dry fire. If the do it could jump the string resulting in a dry fire. I would think that the capture nock would work better on most bows.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Modern crossbows shoot arrows, not bolts.
By definition, bolts do not have fletching.
Just sayin'''''''''''

Thank you so much. You couldn't be more correct. What crossbow does he have? The length and nock are dependent on what type of anti dry fire the xbow uses. I use full capture nocks, keeps the arrows in tight and that "click" lets you know their locked in.

obx-lifeguard

1st crossbow and 185 lbs. draw ... let me guess ... Centerpoint Sniper 370. My son got one for Christmas and it's hard to beat the value per dollar. The sale on arrows at Midway was a bargain ... they're all gone. It's a good bolt/arrow (who cares ... the manufacturers call them "bolts") but aluminum inserts leave a less than optimal foc ... I'll probably shoot 125 gr field points to raise the foc. But for actually hunting especially if you're stretching out to 50 yards I like Black Eagle Executioners w/ brass inserts. About 430 gr w/ 100 gr field point/broadhead, foc of about 20 (need a bigger foc with crossbows because the "arrows" are shorter) and the ones that are spine indxed are shooting grapefruit groups at 70 yards.

A good bow will outshoot a great bow if it's shooting better arrows ...