Shot em up

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Lol I'm glad you did! Honestly I pass on hens if I can now, but I also moved to Arkansas where it's a little easier.

I feel you on that, must be nice down there. I never claimed to be a low-light wood duck identification expert, I'll shoot em when I can't find any green to hunt but if a pair of mallards come in POW! I fold the drake and set my gun down and don't look twice at the hen. That's all I'm saying folks

Last edited:

ChasinTrophies

I feel you on that, must be nice down there. I never claimed to be a low-light wood duck identification expert, I'll shoot em when I can't find any green to hunt but if a pair of mallards come in POW! I fold the drake and set my gun down and don't look twice at the hen. That's all I'm saying folks

You mean, "POW!! POW!! POW!!" And you drop the drake? ;)

And I live in the Northwestern part so it's only slightly better hunting, but I do live a short drive from duck paradise.

Last edited:

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
You mean, "POW!! POW!! POW!!" And you drop the drake? ;)

And I live in the Northwestern part so it's only slightly better hunting, but I do live a short drive from duck paradise.

It's been known to happen from time to time the way you described, maybe even both lived to see another day but I try not to make it a habit 😉...you can't ask for any better than a short drive to duck paradise, my known idea of it takes many many many hours to get there to say the least. Never been to that part of the country

Last edited:

ChasinTrophies

It's been known to happen from time to time the way you described, maybe even both lived to see another day but I try not to make it a habit 😉...you can't ask for any better than a short drive to duck paradise, my known idea of it takes many many many hours to get there to say the least. Never been to that part of the country

If you want to keep hunting in NC, don't come here. You'll decide right then and there to give up most hunting in NC and go on a couple trips a year to do your waterfowling. In three days here I saw more ducks than I would in a year in back home.

Last edited:

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
If you want to keep hunting in NC, don't come here. You'll decide right then and there to give up most hunting in NC and go on a couple trips a year to do your waterfowling. In three days here I saw more ducks than I would in a year in back home.

Trust me I know the feeling, I've seen 20,000ish(conservative estimate) mallards in one spot that we hunted the next morning and it sure is a reality check every year coming back home...yet I still manage to wake up to hunt around here, but hard to get too excited about it lol. And yes I was still selective long before I ever went there hunting

Last edited:

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Your saying because I shoot ducks I bait? I do not bait I like my truck and my gun
I have read your other post and have gathered that you are a very inexperienced hunter. Usually killing that pile of ducks near Wilson either is a roost shoot or enticement. I have not accused you of anything,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read your other post and have gathered you are a young and very inexperienced hunter. Usually killing that pile of ducks near Wilson involves an after hours roost shoot or a pile of corn. I have not accused you of anything. I only offered advice that if your "crew" is doing something it will catch up with you.

jamesmyers14

Eight Pointer
I have read your other post and have gathered you are a young and very inexperienced hunter. Usually killing that pile of ducks near Wilson involves an after hours roost shoot or a pile of corn. I have not accused you of anything. I only offered advice that if your "crew" is doing something it will catch up with you.

My advice is my crew isnt doing nothin that will catch up to me I don't shoot roost either. These birds are 100% legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Not necessarily holier, just more mature ethics.....

From what I remember, the OP is a young man, not even driving age. He and his buddies went out and had a great legal hunt. And we have some of the "older more experienced" guys knocking this guy for getting out in the woods, and killing legal ducks, because it isn't what "they" prefer. Guys his age could be doing a lot worse, and some of y'all should be ashamed. Congratulate the kid and move on.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
From what I remember, the OP is a young man, not even driving age. He and his buddies went out and had a great legal hunt. And we have some of the "older more experienced" guys knocking this guy for getting out in the woods, and killing legal ducks, because it isn't what "they" prefer. Guys his age could be doing a lot worse, and some of y'all should be ashamed. Congratulate the kid and move on.

Very well said WNC!

nchunt101

Ten Pointer

There is a lot of wisdom here. I am not saying y'all bait/shoot outside of hours but I was taught how to duck hunt by a man from Hyde County and what he said was generally spot on. First thing being not to share pictures of a pile of birds. I miss him every hunting season but I am glad he didn't see what duck hunting turned into.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
james, some very "good" duck hunters, and frequent posters, got busted about a year ago near Wilson for enticing ducks. Many of the same types of young hunters in my area are trying the same shortcuts. It will catch up with you. 3 to 4 impoundments in Hyde got raided by GW's on the first Saturday of this split. some of their members posted piles of ducks on forums.
Are you the same one that posted on here last year about impoundments in Hyde getting raided by GW and there was no charges/cases on the court calendar for baiting in Hyde? I looked and no one has any baiting charges against them in Hyde right now.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I know in fact an impoundment near Engelhard was recently raided and closed down by the GW's. I'm pretty sure it was the Feds. Know of several more blinds in Pamlico that were busted early last week by the Feds too. Seems those areas have a big bulls eye on them this year. I'm sure we will hear of more before the season goes out.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
[QUThere were three impoundments on Northlake Road that were visited on the first Saturday of the Dec split. Talked with the GW last week, he will not discuss charges with anyone. Have not heard shooting from those impoundments since. I will PM you with more details.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
[QUThere were three impoundments on Northlake Road that were visited on the first Saturday of the Dec split. Talked with the GW last week, he will not discuss charges with anyone. Have not heard shooting from those impoundments since. I will PM you with more details.

I heard a little chatter about that this weekend as well.