Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual traditions

The Art and Science of turkey hunting by Lovett Williams. That's the one that got me started. Not as much about hunting as it is about the biology and habits of the wild turkey. Williams has several other books out also that I own and read.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Old Mossy Horns

the best source i know for the books (besides amazon) is jim casada's website..

http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com/new...s/Archives.htm

he has the classics, some hard to find stuff, and the popular, and many are very reasonable.

the best buys i have ever made in terms of value are Tim Herald's book, Doug Camp's and a first edition of The Season by Kelly.

all three were cheap but now Mr. Casada says they are worth much more. Of course i wont ever sell mine but it is nice to have something of value.

Four Pointer

I don't read much preparing for the season but wturkey01
    that's impressive.
    Last edited by Bperry; 01-02-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bperry View Post
    I don't read much preparing for the season but wturkey01
    that's impressive.
    Thanks! I'm not a serious book collector like some but after turkey hunting for 40 years I guess a fellow is bound to pick up a few!!
    Did you ever listen to someone and think "their cornbread ain't done in the middle"??

Quote Originally Posted by wturkey01 View Post
    Thanks! I'm not a serious book collector like some but after turkey hunting for 40 years I guess a fellow is bound to pick up a few!!
    You have a great collection. One other I would recommend is Kenny Morgan's book America, Wild Turkeys and Mongrel Dogs. It's a great read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Colvin View Post
    You have a great collection. One other I would recommend is Kenny Morgan's book America, Wild Turkeys and Mongrel Dogs. It's a great read.

I'll look for that! Thanks!
    Did you ever listen to someone and think "their cornbread ain't done in the middle"??

Your top 3 are identical to my top 3, however, The Season is right there with Tenth Legion. They sure don't make them like Kenny and Gene anymore, and both were way ahead of their time. Just a FYI (can't remember which book it was in) but Kenny became anti decoy after he killed one fanning, and this was WAY, WAY before fanning got popular.

Quote Originally Posted by strut buster View Post
    Your top 3 are identical to my top 3, however, The Season is right there with Tenth Legion. They sure don't make them like Kenny and Gene anymore, and both were way ahead of their time. Just a FYI (can't remember which book it was in) but Kenny became anti decoy after he killed one fanning, and this was WAY, WAY before fanning got popular.
    Yes he explained his feelings in his last book. He wrote it on his death bed basically and didn't not hold back his feelings on where this great sport is headed.

This turkey hunting sounds worse than duck or deer, I'm gonna have to start dabbling in it soon...
    Jeremiah 16:16

"Behold, I am going to send for many fishermen," declares the LORD, "and they will fish for them; and afterwards I will send for many hunters, and they will hunt them from every mountain and every hill and from the clefts of the rocks.

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by wturkey01 View Post
    I'll look for that! Thanks!
    midwest turkey supply did have them.