fishing in Charlotte area

Cat_Lady

Hey all, I did a search for this topic and didn't see anything, so sorry if its already been asked and answered.

What are some good spots in Charlotte area to fish? I am having terrible luck. Ive done Lake Wylie's McDowell Nature preserve, Ballantyne Corporate Park and a small beach section of Lake Norman. I dont have a boat or kayak, though I am seriously considering buying one or the other this year. I have also tried Lake Twitty but there was only a tiny section I was allowed to fish. I think my main problem is finding access area to these bodies of water...often I am afraid I might be wandering onto private land. Anyone have tips? I havent caught anything and I really do put in the time, so a bit of help would be appreciated.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
George Poston Park Pond in Gastonia was stocked with rainbow trout for the winter.

That might be a good bet.

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
Hey all, I did a search for this topic and didn't see anything, so sorry if its already been asked and answered.

What are some good spots in Charlotte area to fish? I am having terrible luck. Ive done Lake Wylie's McDowell Nature preserve, Ballantyne Corporate Park and a small beach section of Lake Norman. I dont have a boat or kayak, though I am seriously considering buying one or the other this year. I have also tried Lake Twitty but there was only a tiny section I was allowed to fish. I think my main problem is finding access area to these bodies of water...often I am afraid I might be wandering onto private land. Anyone have tips? I havent caught anything and I really do put in the time, so a bit of help would be appreciated.

Lake Norman State Park, walk the trails behind the welcome center that follow the waters edge....excellent bank fishing. There is also a pier t the Allison creek landing and the HotHole on Wylie where people do good. But right now the best place is the HotHole of NC150 on Norman. PM me if you want more info, I'll be glad to help

Cat_Lady

What are you trying to catch, and how are you going about it?

ANYTHING ha! so for small fish like bream, I will usually use a jig..especially off the little docks and piers at Lake Wylie. For bass I typically use worms with a bobber & let it sit out there for a while.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Don't know anything about winter fishing but try a beetle spin for bream or crickets for live bait. Everything loves a cricket.