Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thoughts for 2017

I think you just answered your own question… If the 2 you killed had a belly full of corn and you know they are going to corn and you aren't seeing them in your green then problem solved for you right now. $100.00 spent on golden acorns and a lot less sweat equity in it for you.

I use both. Corn in the pines, where there is no food whatsoever, and food plots on the adjacent cover. I don't use both in the same spot. That negates some of the benefits of food plots such as not putting scent down while corning and keeping it discreet for those deer who only visit corn at night due to pressure. There is no doubt that corn is a bigger draw as far as attraction, but there is something about food plots that bucks like to come check them out and scrape around the edges.

Food plots have benefits other than just a kill plot. The nutrition they provide is drawn out over at least half the year. It conditions deer to stay on or near your property, IMO. Corn is a great "flash-in-the-pan", but I think food plots have a lot of intangibles.

I also have come to hate the seed mixes marketed to hunters, and I've tried quite a few over the years. Last year I had a beautiful Pennington plot that hardly got touched. Right next to it was bulk oats and crimson clover that got hammered.

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by sky hawk View Post
    I use both. Corn in the pines, where there is no food whatsoever, and food plots on the adjacent cover. I don't use both in the same spot. That negates some of the benefits of food plots such as not putting scent down while corning and keeping it discreet for those deer who only visit corn at night due to pressure. There is no doubt that corn is a bigger draw as far as attraction, but there is something about food plots that bucks like to come check them out and scrape around the edges.

Food plots have benefits other than just a kill plot. The nutrition they provide is drawn out over at least half the year. It conditions deer to stay on or near your property, IMO. Corn is a great "flash-in-the-pan", but I think food plots have a lot of intangibles.

I also have come to hate the seed mixes marketed to hunters, and I've tried quite a few over the years. Last year I had a beautiful Pennington plot that hardly got touched. Right next to it was bulk oats and crimson clover that got hammered.
    What Pennington Mix did you use? I used Pennington Feeding Frenzy and Deer Greens mixed on some late plantings and the deer have eat them to the ground. My personal mix was also eat down to about nothing.

Just to reiterate what has already been said...... there are more benefits to a food plot than just to kill deer. If that is your only purpose for planting, move on. Small game, turkeys songbirds....... many others benefit from food plots and you are doing your property a favor to spend some time planting. Think Wildlife Benefits as opposed to killing deer and you will be doing yourself a big favor in the overall scheme of things. And don't waste your money on name brand seed mixes. Go buy seeds that you prove to grow well in your own situation and plant accordingly. I never fired a shot this year. Very few deer were present on my place for whatever reason. There is no one reason that results in low numbers. It is usually a combination of things at a particular time. I will be back at it as soon as I can, prepping and planting because I enjoy the work and appreciate the overall benefits of my labors.

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
    Just to reiterate what has already been said...... there are more benefits to a food plot than just to kill deer. If that is your only purpose for planting, move on. Small game, turkeys songbirds....... many others benefit from food plots and you are doing your property a favor to spend some time planting. Think Wildlife Benefits as opposed to killing deer and you will be doing yourself a big favor in the overall scheme of things. And don't waste your money on name brand seed mixes. Go buy seeds that you prove to grow well in your own situation and plant accordingly. I never fired a shot this year. Very few deer were present on my place for whatever reason. There is no one reason that results in low numbers. It is usually a combination of things at a particular time. I will be back at it as soon as I can, prepping and planting because I enjoy the work and appreciate the overall benefits of my labors.
    Food plots do have an effect on all wildlife. I have seen more cardinals using my food plots all winter than ever before, also had a lot of squirrels in the food plots this year.
    Last edited by ncnat; 01-06-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncnat View Post
    What Pennington Mix did you use? I used Pennington Feeding Frenzy and Deer Greens mixed on some late plantings and the deer have eat them to the ground. My personal mix was also eat down to about nothing.
    I went back and looked, and I was mistaken. It was Whitetail Institute Imperial No-Plow. But it was used on a well prepared plot. I chose that one because it was a mix of a lot of the seeds I normally like to plant: cereal grains, annual clover, and brassicas. Unfortunately, I think the marketing and the content were two different things, as it seems to be mostly rye. I spent some time in there in early March and the No-Plow was beautiful knee high "grass", and the oats and clover I planted had been browsed down to the ground. Night and day. I've used most of the major brands over the last 10-15 years, but that's the last time. I get my own seed by the 50 lb. bag now.